Barrel Vault in So. Cal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Barrel Vault in So. Cal.

I have seen dozens of posts on this site and others that indicate to me that water HAS gotten into stucco covered ovens. Do a search for something like "oven not getting hot" and check yourself. Lots of guys have posted that their oven used to work perfectly and now seems to not be getting as hot as it used to. In those threads there is generally a consensus that "the insulation must be wet".

And let's be honest...unless you are putting a humidity meter/probe into the interior of your oven enclosure/insulation, neither you nor anyone else has any idea to what degree you are dealing with water intrusion. Obviously, if the oven appears (on casual observation) to be working fine, then there is not a huge problem. But it is certainly possible that you could be suffering from a ten to fifteen percent deficency in heating ability/retention and never notice it unless you are graphing time/temp curves.

Aside from that, my common sense tells me that water is likely to intrude due to the physics of the building materials. Ovens, by their nature, are composed of masonry which goes through repeated, rather extreme, heating/cooling cycles. Since masonry (stucco included) doesn't flex very well, that tells me cracking is likely. Secondly, I'm a piss-poor mason. It is hardly surprising to me that something I built might be something less than pristinely water-proof.

Finally, the way in which ovens are constructed makes them vulnerable to water intrusion. (unless they have a a full roofed enclosure...which I didn't want). My oven is sitting on top of a flat concrete slab with three inches of ceramic board insulation (i.e. a sponge) resting on top of the slab. To make matters worse, my entire oven is surrounded by three to four inches of ceramic fiberboard oriented vertically along the sidewalls and rear wall...also contacting the slab (more sponges).

With all of that in mind I'd be very surprised if water wouldn't intrude at some point, to some degree. And neither I nor anyone else would ever know it unless things got so bad that it became obvious when used.

Your example about the village oven used by the baker is apples and oranges. The baker's village oven NEVER cools down. If an oven is four hundred degrees F, it can rain until the cows come home and water will never be a problem. If I used my oven every day it would never drop below four hundred dgrees. Water would never be an issue. But I don't use my oven every day.

So why not put in a ten dollar vent? You say (without any support for the claim) that the law of probabilities dictate that water is more likely to get into a properly hooded vent than through stucco cracks or lateral migration along the slab...ok fine. I disagree. I'm guessing that you honestly don't know what the laws of probabilty dictate in this regard unless you have conducted experiments on vented and non-vented ovens and measured humidity levels. That being said, I haven't conducted experiments either. But I have seen a million attics, pool equipment sheds, cable utility boxes, etc. which all had vents built into them. Since the laws of probabilities tell me that utility companies and pool companies know what they are doing in keeping moisture out of their equipment, I choose to emulate that. But as they say, different strokes for differnet folks.

Interesting talk. (And please understand that I am not one of those guys who gets pissed off when I run into someone who disagrees with my take on something. Thanks for your input on this...and I don't say this to indicate that the discussion is over...I don't need the last word. If you have something else to add or some observations to support your claims, I'm all ears.)

Gotta go to bed. Getting late here.

Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

You finally convinced me that venting your oven was the right thing to do. Being the piss-poor mason, that you say you are, insurance of the vent is a good thing. As Dirty Harry said," A man's got to know his limitations"! Its been fun, time for a new topic. I'm baking mango/cranberry sourdough bread tomorrow, today I baked dinner rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
        What I'm saying it that in the laws of probabilities, your vent is more likely to cause a water or moisture problem, than your stucco.
        If it's probabilities then prove it. Let's see your fault tree analysis for water intrusion into a WFO with a covered vent.

Bill,

The vent is a great idea and cheap insurance. I know my oven will have one.

Comment

Hi Okn,

Sorry you missed the boat! That Dog and Pony show, is over. Any way I wasn't trying to prove that water would get into the vent or not. All I wanted to know was why a vent was necessary. Bill, gave me a perfect explanation of why he felt it was necessary for his oven.
          Discussion closed, but I'm curious to know why you feel the need for one? By the way, have you started you oven, have photos? Good luck, I must go and put wood on the fire, baking bread today.

Comment

As the man said...nothing to see here.

Glad you like the vent idea, but I can't take credit for passive venting...I've seen it a million times before in a million different applications...

All kidding aside, I suppose it is a matter of opinion, and in the final anyalysis, a lot less important a choice than many of the ones we all make during the course of our builds.

Good deal on the bread bake Laurentis. Same here. It is nearly eleven pm local time as I write this and I just fired up my oven. It will burn into the wee hours of the morning and when I wake up it will be thouroughly heat-saturated.

An hour ago I did my pre-ferment. 500 grams of sourdough starter, 1000 grams of flour, 1000 grams of water. Tomorrow that will be added to 6700 grams of flour, 150 grams of sea salt, and 3900 grams of water. For a total of 13,200 grams of sourdough. For those not on the metric system...roughly thirty pounds of dough. Approximately twenty 1.5 pound loaves of delicious sourdough bread. Hanging by the pool, drinking margies, getting some sun, and baking sourdough. That's a fun bake day!

Bill

Comment

Surely you aren't eating all that bread. Do you sell it or give it to your extended family, village, county? I love baking the odd loaf, but if I do more that three loaves we can't get through it.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi Bill,

What do you mix all of that dough in, do you knead by hand or machine? The funny thing is all of the hurry up and wait, is how fast the bread disappears. I build my oven for pizza, but very seldom cook pizza, but I use my from 3 to five days a week, once I fire it up and I transgress back to my childhood and all the good things mom use to make. Now my daughter last request was pastrami, today the deliveryman dropped a 9 kilogram brisket, which I will corned and smoke in the coming weeks. You have a good one, drink more Margies, but get out of the sun. You have enough loaves in your oven that you don't need to add stream, right, and how many loaves can you bake at once?

Comment

David...I give a number of loaves away to friends and neighbors. I just started baking about five months ago so I'm still learning. But I'm getting better. Here's the last batch of sourdough. (I've done some yeasted bread since, but it isn't the same IMO). The bread we don't give away, I freeze. Artisan sourdough freezes surprisingly well. We then have sourdough anytime we want it.

I'm doing lots of loaves becuase it helps me progress and it keeps my oven plenty steamy.

Laurentis:

No added steam needed. I mix it all by hand and I use a big stackable plastic storage tote. Works well.

Bill

Comment

That looks good. Here's what I've been doing.

Comment

Bill, that's a whole bunch of dough and bread, who's flour are you using?
                      Bill, Laurentius, nice breads!

Chris

Comment

Looks great laurentis.

I'm feeling a bit worked right now. Busy bake day. Twenty-one loaves. Some a pound or a bit over, some up to two pounds. Fun day. Lit a fire last night and this morning the oven was super saturated in the deep masonry. Between 600 and 700 degrees (depending on location) measured by thermocouple at the point where the bricks meet the insulation.

The surface of the bricks in the interior of the oven was 395 or thereabouts. (I lit the fire last night around eleven and didn't wake up till 8:30. Obviously, I left the door off all night as the fire burned. So the fire was completely out by the time I got out there and the surfaces of the bricks were cooling).

Mixed up my dough and started my bulk fermentation at 9:30. Went out and lit a small fire in the oven to bring the surface of the bricks bak up to temp. Pulled the fire out of the oven at 11:00 am. Formed loaves at 12:30. First batch of eleven loaves went in at 2:15.

Chris...the flour is the stuff they sell at Costco...fifty pound sack of ConAgra "Minnesota Girl" I like it.

Fresh from the oven...

Comment

Very nice bake!!

Chris

Comment

Bill,

That looks as if the family and villagers just finished harvesting the grapes and the olives, getting ready to settled down for well needed vittles, to restore their energy. Eat well and get back to word. I tip my hat to you, kind sir. I may even come over to help you with that vent.

Comment

I don't know about the grapes and olives...but the peppers, lemons, and tomatos are out of the garden.

And by this time next year the grapes and olives may be on the menu as well...I've got olives I'm planning on brining...and last March I signed on to a contract for a thousand pounds of cabernet sauvingon grapes which are being picked within the next two days. A buddy owns a vineyard and was nice enough to let me add a half ton of cab grapes on to his contract with one of the vineyards he buys from. So I'm going to make approx sixty cases of wine over the next few weeks and put it in a sixty-seven gallon french oak barrel to age for a couple years. Should be fun.... I just hope it's drinkable.

Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,
                                Well, wrong game, but the right ball park. In a few years, you're will have to increase the size of that oven for those wine tasting parties and if its not drinkable, there's always a need for vinegar, purchased any Balsamic lately? Funny, I planted 3 olive tree along side my oven, for ambiance, wrong climate for the fruit. I just finished brining my brisket for pastrami, this week I will do a test run of sourdough rye bread. Will your friend process, ferment and filter the grapes and you will age it at your place? Where is Camarillo? I've spend sometime in Carmel and Saratoga.

Comment

Working...
                                X