Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedicab Tricycle Oven

Originally posted by pizzaholic View Post
    Thanks for the concerns I got the pizza part of the equation nicely dialed at this point. I'm hoping for some ideas on....

How much if any mass should I use.

Firebricks vs soapstone floor. Soapstones high conductivity means less wood and potentially easier baking of pies but it may crack easier than firebrick..maybe use the thinner firebrick?

I plan on welding 4 posts to hold poles that are packed under the oven to make a small roof over oven and baker(s). I was thinking of making the structure with sail canvas or something similar. Any thoughts?

Any ideas on how to make it as lightweight as possible would be appreciated also!

What about a pizza stone on firebrick? Cut the bricks in half to save on weight and use the stone for the actual cooking surface.

Trigger instead of canvas since you aren't leaving this in the elements. Or nylon - both will save on weight and cost. Nylon if weight is a big deal.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

Is Trigger waterproof? I need to be dry and I am also appealing to a certain aesthetic..canvas seems durable and looks good but you might be right that they weight isnt worth it.

Im not really sure about the weight. The bike manufacturer keeps assuring me that weight wont be too much of an issue but I am still trying to keep it as light as possible.

They sell firebricks that are an inch and a quarter...in terms of a pizza stone im pretty sure those are made out of soapstone. Soapstone seems like it will do the most consistent fast cooking for its weight. I just hope that it wont crack. It would mean that I dont need any firebricks just insulation underneath..ceramic fiberboard is looking pretty appealing..

Comment

Originally posted by pizzaholic View Post
        Is Trigger waterproof? I need to be dry and I am also appealing to a certain aesthetic..canvas seems durable and looks good but you might be right that they weight isnt worth it.

Im not really sure about the weight. The bike manufacturer keeps assuring me that weight wont be too much of an issue but I am still trying to keep it as light as possible.

They sell firebricks that are an inch and a quarter...in terms of a pizza stone im pretty sure those are made out of soapstone. Soapstone seems like it will do the most consistent fast cooking for its weight. I just hope that it wont crack. It would mean that I dont need any firebricks just insulation underneath..ceramic fiberboard is looking pretty appealing..
        1) No, but you can weather proof it easily enough for the light duty it will receive. Trigger looks like a light canvas so you get the appearance without the weight. I've made a canopy with trigger and it held up very well - until people stopped bothering to dry it before packing but that's another story...

2) The bike can handle more than you can - even if the frame can take it you gotta move this thing periodically - that's a great reason to keep it as light as possible in my book!

3) Since the surface will take a lot of abuse from peels, burnt pizza and every other disaster that you can imagine, it makes sense to use the smoothest, most durable surface you can get. Firebrick offers more resistance (danged corners) no matter how well you level it.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Your main dilemma is mass. To make the oven strong enough the refractory can't be particularly thin, but to make it transportable it needs to be strong. A V8 is a simpler if less elegant solution.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

My laterally fired coal oven, is 32 deep x 37 wide x 20 high, and weights about 300 pounds using 1-1/4" thick castings with a high percentage of stainless needles and a standard thickness firebrick floor. It is fully insulated and has a 22.5 x 22.5 baking area, which is probably equivalent to a 32-36" round floor in a traditional wood oven where the fire takes up some of the floor space. It fires in about an hour with wood, and about 2 with coal(takes a while to get the coal going and hot) and can cook evenly from 500F-1000F+ depending on the fuel type and oven management.

What you are after can be achieved, but you are going to have to move into uncharted territory to get there.

Comment

What he needs is a toaster oven. Frozen pizza in a WFO is like shag carpeting in a Ferrari.

Comment

That is not quite correct. What it is badging Hyundais as Ferraris.

Comment

G'day
                  Now I'm really getting worried
                  Shag pile carpet is coming back
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Might end up with shag pile carpet in a Hyundai and frozen pizza. Getting close to the worst of most worlds. Just need to add a lady boy.
                    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

heres some ideas that might help

Comment

That's true, a small generator and a microwave would be cheaper and easier then any oven, and more fitting of reheated frozen pizza.

Comment

A lot of negative and biased opinion on the intention to use frozen pizza. Perhaps we sh pile restrict our comment to the build or offer opinion on how to make a good pizza that can be held frozen till used.

I think the pedicabs look good and the end result of the cooked pizza will depend on the skill of the operator and the ingredients.

Comment

The whole concept of a woodfired oven flies in the face of using it to heat up a frozen pizza. I am pretty sure the original poster does not advertise, " FROZEN PIZZA HEATED UP IN A WOOD FIRED OVEN". I am pretty certain that he advertises, "Woodfired pizza!", which he is not providing, nor does he have any concern for health and safety of his customers. Caveat emptor.

Comment

Where does it say that, it may be your opinion to which you are entitled but I see no printed conditions of use that states a WFO is only suitable for fresh
                              Product. To each his own. We should stick to the build I don't care what his business practice is , I don't know what the health requirements of where lives and haven't seen the full pedi cab design I wasn't aware that we were policemen for the world, let the guy try

Comment

Um, no. He is sticking frozen pizza in a WFO to cook and selling it as a wood fired pizza.

Comment

Working...
                                X