No announcement yet.

Casting Homebrew Oven - Build Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks what size did you go for 32 or 64mm?

Comment

Originally posted by R3CALL View Post
      Thanks what size did you go for 32 or 64mm?
      neither - 76mm they turned up today and they look ideal, nice edges too.

Comment

A mini Update...

My first 2 inches/50mm of Vcrete used 100L of Vermiculite, so I had to do it in two pours, seemed to work out well, also helped speed up the drying process I think.
        It was kind of hard to get this super smooth and level.

It seemed the more you work to the Vermiculite seemed to get damaged? But it did leave a nice flat-ish surface.
        (see photo, low angle)

My form was thrown together with scrap wood, but it made a pseudo circle, which will be neatened up once the floor is down.

On top, I put a very thin layer of sand and made sure this was very level and smooth.
        A mist of water and let it dry overnight, left a semi-firm bed for the bricks.

Firebricks got lost in the post/ordering system, I won’t rant.
        It arrived and I placed them down with no cuts, this was very satisfying and took about 5 minutes, the sand base made this effortless, I went with 76mm bricks (deep) for good thermal inertia.

No photos of the bricks yet as I haven’t cut them.

I plan to cut them freehand with a Dimond disc, 115mm disk, on both sides. Or I’ll drag out my sliding tile saw.

Attached Files

Comment

Looking good so far Aaron.

How do you plan to finish your concrete block base? Are you going to render and paint it or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Hattori-Hanzo View Post
            Looking good so far Aaron.

How do you plan to finish your concrete block base? Are you going to render and paint it or something else?
            I will be rendering it unless I see anything else fancy in the meantime

I've just removed 20 tons of soil to make way for a porcelain patio, so it will tie in well

Comment

Ah okay, I'm trying to get some ideas for how to finish my block work. Rendering is an option but I quite like the idea of cladding it with Corian, need to work out costs first.

Also forgot to mention, don't forget to submerge your fire bricks in water before cutting.
              I forgot and ruined a 230mm blade.

I went for 76mm bricks also (probably same deal as you) and some of them where a lot harder to cut than others. Some where a light brown colour and others where dark brown, the dark brown where a lot tougher to cut and I'm unsure why?

If you are just halving bricks try doing it with a decent hammer and bolster, saves a lot of mess and wear good mask and goggles, silica dust is nasty!

Comment

Cladding or rending will look nice, tbh I’ve not spent any time thinking about it yet – when the oven is functional, I will then think about it
                Cladding will be nice too, maybe Pinterest is your friend here?
                I forgot about submerging bricks! So, thank you!
                I did notice the colour variation, hum, might be worth giving the supplier a call about this if it effects the hardness of them, more out of interest than issue

Comment

aaronpizza looking good! Just a question about the sand layer - is that ok to use rather than fire clay? I seem to remember reading about people using a mix for underneath the bricks. I realise it may be too late - but just in case it’s not...
                  My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

50/50 sand clay mix is for just leveling the floor bricks of CaSi. It is just a thin layer, Installed with a 1/2" notched trowel used for setting thinset for tiles, it can be either dry or a peanut butter consistency slurry.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the message of concern Mullster - incase it was an issue I appreciate it!
                      So the sand is very thin about 1mm-3mm in places, this was purely to get everything perfectly level.
                      I don’t see what purpose the clay would be here so I didn’t add any (I could still change it but I see no issues..).
                      I laid a solid smooth bed i.e. not notched which worked out well.
                      I cut my first few bricks last night, which went well using a 115mm angle grinder and diamond disc, cut through it like butter…
                      The finished edge on said cut brick are okay, not perfect, so I may end up doing some research on here how to get perfect cuts J
                      I will upload some photos soon J

Comment

Huge delays!

Apparently fitting my patio, installing underfloor heating and tiling my house was more important!

Fast forward, I cast my oven the other day! Very happy with the results so far.
                        Except I ran out of clay which is annoying as the P+P is more than 10KG!
                        I’ll put some photos up later with extra comments J

Comment

Originally posted by aaronpizza View Post
                          Huge delays!

Apparently fitting my patio, installing underfloor heating and tiling my house was more important!

Fast forward, I cast my oven the other day! Very happy with the results so far.
                          Except I ran out of clay which is annoying as the P+P is more than 10KG!
                          I’ll put some photos up later with extra comments J
                          aaronpizza where are you? I have quite a lot of leftover fire clay - had to buy another bag despite only needing a little bit. Maybe I could get it to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mullster View Post
                            aaronpizza where are you? I have quite a lot of leftover fire clay - had to buy another bag despite only needing a little bit. Maybe I could get it to you?
                            Thanks dude, but I ordered/received another 5KG, appreciated!

Flue is on order too! Hopefully next week I will get my gallery piece cast.

Question, Did you put a thermal break between your main dome and the flue gallery? I was thinking of doing 1 inch of v.crete to stop some heat loss..

Comment

So I cast all in one piece (regretted) so no break there but did have a small break in the floor between the first row on bricks (the landing) and the bricks inside the dome. So far it seems to have some effect - maybe 30-40 degrees - but not more than that. It’ll be interesting when I finally build a door to see how well the whole thing retains heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mullster View Post
                                So I cast all in one piece (regretted) so no break there but did have a small break in the floor between the first row on bricks (the landing) and the bricks inside the dome. So far it seems to have some effect - maybe 30-40 degrees - but not more than that. It’ll be interesting when I finally build a door to see how well the whole thing retains heat.
                                Ah yes I remember now, I copied your thermal break in the bricks (I am however going to leave it hollow...
                                I think I will add a 1 inch thermal break between my dome and flue housing, so when I put a door on it, hopefully, it will add a extra bit of resistance!

Ready to cast my flue in the next few days

I've got a mythical deadline of October for my first pizza, 15th to be precise, which is my birthday haha.

Currently I'm debating how to finish it all off, tile/simple render etc.

I've also been thinking about a shelter like yours, with glass and a flue cut out (as you also mentioned, have you progressed this?). so I can do winter entertaining but this means it would be rather big (10m x 10m ish).

Comment

Working...
                                X