Comment

Re: Welcome to Alternative Oven

Octagon or Round and why?
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/w...s-round-2.html
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi James,
        I am very happy to respond to this thread as I have recently discovered an alternative pizza oven that is the closest version I have found to the traditional wood fired oven.
        I have always been of the opinion that the traditional oven remains the best and only option to make a perfect Neapolitan pizza. Since then, I have discovered an alternative new generation oven, which has caused me to slightly change my mind. There may be another way to cook your perfect Neapolitan pizza because I found that these ovens are actually very similar to the traditional wood burning ovens. The only difference is that they use gas to produce heat instead of wood.

Advantages of Neapolitan pizza ovens that use gas
        1) The new generation furnaces are far easier to use than the old ones. With gas ovens, you do not need to have all the experience or know all the tricks and skills in maintaining a constant temperature inside the oven, as you would with a wood burning oven. You simply need to set the temperature of the gas inside and it will remain at the temperature you set it at, for as long as you want.
        2) The new generation Neapolitan gas oven cooks at exactly the same speed as a traditional wood burning oven because the temperature inside the oven can easily reach the 400 degrees specified by the strict Neapolitan rules of pizza making. Consequently, the quantity of pizzas you can produce using the new generation gas ovens is exactly the same as using the traditional wood ones.

3) The shape and form of the new generation oven is the same as the traditional one: dome shaped with a small opening at the front so you still keep the constant high temperatures inside, which is vital in the creation of pizza.

4) The pizza crust produced by the new generation oven has the same colour as those produced by a wood oven: nice, golden and pleasing to the eye.

Disadvantages of Neapolitan pizza ovens that use gas

1) As for the taste of the final product, there is a slight disadvantage with the gas oven: the use of burning wood to produce heat not only creates the required temperature in the creation of pizzas inside the oven, it also gives a distinctive fragrance and flavour to the pizza which you cannot achieve using the new generation gas oven. Therefore in the matter of taste, the traditional wood burning oven beats the new generation gas version.

I wanted to clarify these few points because the restaurant where I have been based for the last 10 months , as part of my world wide tour inside the world of pizza, is located in the city centre of Manchester, uk. The use of wood burning ovens is not allowed in this location due to fire restrictions in the building. I heard that this problem is also affecting many of my friends and colleagues all over the world, therefore this new invention is the perfect solution for any pizzeria that is faced with restrictions on the use of traditional wood burning ovens. Upon weighing the advantages and disadvantages of these new generation gas ovens, I can say that they are definitely a much better option than the old gas shelf pizza ovens. Nowadays, many of the traditional oven makers in Naples are also producing these new generation ovens to meet the high demand worldwide due to licensing issues.

I hope you find this information interesting and useful , and I hope to be in contact in the near future.
        Thanks
        Chef Agostino Vitiello, owner of The World of Pizza :: Pizza Making, How to make Pizza, Pizza World, of Pizza ::

Comment

Hi everyone, i was not aware of this area when i posted my oven photos, which are now in the photo gallery. All my ovens are built with clay or adobe. I am now building my first adobe oven with the fire under the hearth. Look forward to shareing and connecting with others who build other ovens, rather than kit ovens

Comment

Originally posted by pizzaexpert View Post
            Hi James,
            I am very happy to respond to this thread as I have recently discovered an alternative pizza oven that is the closest version I have found to the traditional wood fired oven.
            I have always been of the opinion that the traditional oven remains the best and only option to make a perfect Neapolitan pizza. Since then, I have discovered an alternative new generation oven, which has caused me to slightly change my mind. There may be another way to cook your perfect Neapolitan pizza because I found that these ovens are actually very similar to the traditional wood burning ovens. The only difference is that they use gas to produce heat instead of wood.

Advantages of Neapolitan pizza ovens that use gas
            1) The new generation furnaces are far easier to use than the old ones. With gas ovens, you do not need to have all the experience or know all the tricks and skills in maintaining a constant temperature inside the oven, as you would with a wood burning oven. You simply need to set the temperature of the gas inside and it will remain at the temperature you set it at, for as long as you want.
            2) The new generation Neapolitan gas oven cooks at exactly the same speed as a traditional wood burning oven because the temperature inside the oven can easily reach the 400 degrees specified by the strict Neapolitan rules of pizza making. Consequently, the quantity of pizzas you can produce using the new generation gas ovens is exactly the same as using the traditional wood ones.

3) The shape and form of the new generation oven is the same as the traditional one: dome shaped with a small opening at the front so you still keep the constant high temperatures inside, which is vital in the creation of pizza.

4) The pizza crust produced by the new generation oven has the same colour as those produced by a wood oven: nice, golden and pleasing to the eye.

Disadvantages of Neapolitan pizza ovens that use gas

1) As for the taste of the final product, there is a slight disadvantage with the gas oven: the use of burning wood to produce heat not only creates the required temperature in the creation of pizzas inside the oven, it also gives a distinctive fragrance and flavour to the pizza which you cannot achieve using the new generation gas oven. Therefore in the matter of taste, the traditional wood burning oven beats the new generation gas version.

I wanted to clarify these few points because the restaurant where I have been based for the last 10 months , as part of my world wide tour inside the world of pizza, is located in the city centre of Manchester, uk. The use of wood burning ovens is not allowed in this location due to fire restrictions in the building. I heard that this problem is also affecting many of my friends and colleagues all over the world, therefore this new invention is the perfect solution for any pizzeria that is faced with restrictions on the use of traditional wood burning ovens. Upon weighing the advantages and disadvantages of these new generation gas ovens, I can say that they are definitely a much better option than the old gas shelf pizza ovens. Nowadays, many of the traditional oven makers in Naples are also producing these new generation ovens to meet the high demand worldwide due to licensing issues.

I hope you find this information interesting and useful , and I hope to be in contact in the near future.
            Thanks
            Chef Agostino Vitiello, owner of The World of Pizza :: Pizza Making, How to make Pizza, Pizza World, of Pizza ::
            You can not claim the pizza to be Neapolitian unless the oven is wood fired, Neapolitan Pizza--What is Neapolitan Pizza--History of Neapolitan Pizza Making and Eating Authentic Neapolitan Pizza - Ciao Italia
            Last edited by WoodFireOvens; 08-29-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodFireOvens View Post
              Talking to the banned members now?
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Really? Are you serious? Did he go "One toke over the line?"

Comment

Working...
                X