No announcement yet.

Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with mobile ovens is limited to the three I have built for myself and one that I’ve done installation and repairs on, as well as reports here in the forum about both brick and modular ovens.
    There was a report many years ago about a brick oven that rattled to bits from road bumps and vibrations. This condition is confirmed by some manufacturers who specifically cast a one piece dome model for mobile applications. So presumably this is a well known problem. My first mobile oven build, 17 years ago was a one piece dome casting. It operated well for 8 years, despite developing a vertical crack on the back wall directly opposite the door. As I have seen the same problem on two other one piece domes I assume it is not just an anomaly. While it didn’t affect the oven performance, as it’s my demonstration oven and the floor was getting a bit spalled, I decided to rebuild it. With a more durable floor and a three section dome. I’m quite sure the crack problem is due to uneven heating which leads to uneven thermal expansion. Something has to give. This is one of, but not the only reason, most manufacturers offer multi sectioned casts. It is also a (and again not the only) reason why floor bricks are better laid loose. Any large section of refractory or large brick is more subject to uneven heating and therefore uneven thermal expansion.
    I’ve also learned, from experience that mobile ovens do not like unsealed roads, or speed bumps. For this reason I never take mine off road any more and always deliver and pick up myself. The fitting of shocks on the trailer as well as the springs matching the load is vital. After 17 years I’m now on the third mobile. It is a 3 piece dome and I expect it to also last better than 8 years. Oven no. 2 required a new trolley .I should really have replaced it in steel, but I chose to rebuild a new wooden one.
    Regarding gas, it is the building and fitting of a home built burner that is taboo here, for obvious reasons. Because the burner will be operating in an enclosed chamber, it must be fitted with a flame failure device. Any burner must be fitted by a licenced gas fitter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	458560
    Last edited by david s; 05-04-2024, 06:22 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
    X