Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    My experience with mobile ovens is limited to the three I have built for myself and one that I’ve done installation and repairs on, as well as reports here in the forum about both brick and modular ovens.
    There was a report many years ago about a brick oven that rattled to bits from road bumps and vibrations. This condition is confirmed by some manufacturers who specifically cast a one piece dome model for mobile applications. So presumably this is a well known problem. My first mobile oven build, 17 years ago was a one piece dome casting. It operated well for 8 years, despite developing a vertical crack on the back wall directly opposite the door. As I have seen the same problem on two other one piece domes I assume it is not just an anomaly. While it didn’t affect the oven performance, as it’s my demonstration oven and the floor was getting a bit spalled, I decided to rebuild it. With a more durable floor and a three section dome. I’m quite sure the crack problem is due to uneven heating which leads to uneven thermal expansion. Something has to give. This is one of, but not the only reason, most manufacturers offer multi sectioned casts. It is also a (and again not the only) reason why floor bricks are better laid loose. Any large section of refractory or large brick is more subject to uneven heating and therefore uneven thermal expansion.
    I’ve also learned, from experience that mobile ovens do not like unsealed roads, or speed bumps. For this reason I never take mine off road any more and always deliver and pick up myself. The fitting of shocks on the trailer as well as the springs matching the load is vital. After 17 years I’m now on the third mobile. It is a 3 piece dome and I expect it to also last better than 8 years. Oven no. 2 required a new trolley .I should really have replaced it in steel, but I chose to rebuild a new wooden one.
    Regarding gas, it is the building and fitting of a home built burner that is taboo here, for obvious reasons. Because the burner will be operating in an enclosed chamber, it must be fitted with a flame failure device. Any burner must be fitted by a licenced gas fitter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	458560
    Last edited by david s; 05-04-2024, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 100million
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    You miss understand, I was just suggesting that there have been "experienced" issues with brick oven on mobile platforms and that David has first hand experience. But it appears you have solved the issue. Gas/Propane is a suitable option but only if it is installed correctly and with UL listed equipment.
    vanporossa

This is one of the burners that I use.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-03-2024, 05:11 PM. Reason: removed commercial link

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    You miss understand, I was just suggesting that there have been "experienced" issues with brick oven on mobile platforms and that David has first hand experience. But it appears you have solved the issue. Gas/Propane is a suitable option but only if it is installed correctly and with UL listed equipment.

Leave a comment:

• 100million
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    If you refer to some of David S responses (our cast expert), brick ovens are prone to damage due to the vibration of a mobile unit. He suggest that a cast oven may be more suitable for mobile pizza oven due to minimal joints in the dome.
    I'm not referring to some of David's information about cast experts. When I'm referring to is the oven was built in 2010 and the oven is still in use today on a trailer. The reason why it's in use on a trailers because it is built properly so it can withstand any vibrations. You have to understand how it was built. But in the meantime yes a modular oven would work better on a trailer if you don't know how to build a mobile unit using brick. This was actually the one of the first and I believe it might have been the first all brick mobile oven in the United States. Also this oven was in the era that forno bravo.... Did not like anyone to post anything about propane. But now we see it all over in the industry.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    If you refer to some of David S responses (our cast expert), brick ovens are prone to damage due to the vibration of a mobile unit. He suggest that a cast oven may be more suitable for mobile pizza oven due to minimal joints in the dome.

Leave a comment:

• 100million
    replied
    The beginning of Propane Fires all Brick Oven on a Trailer for mobile catering.

Leave a comment:

• 100million
    replied
    Originally posted by letmeno View Post
    Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Just curious, What are the layers on the steel frame? Is that hardi backer---mortar--fb board--and finally the cooking floor?
    hi letmeno

The floor was fire brick and below that was hardbacker just to hold the firebrick...... if I did it again I would use bricks on its edge..... THE FLOOR NEEDS MORE ABILITY TO HOLD HEAT..... I laid them flat...... It still worked perfect.... but with the bricks on its side it will retian heat easier and reheat the floor faster.......

Chris

Leave a comment:

• 100million
    replied
    Originally posted by skywalker View Post

I'm really not trying to revive an old thread. But I just finished reading the whole thing and was wondering if you could tell us how it went. I know its been a long time and your website seems to be down. But just for historic reasons, it would be cool to know what went right, what went wrong (if anything) with the oven in a trailer.

Thank you!
    Hi Les

Thanks for keeping me up to date..... Sky the oven turned out fine and worked perfect..... If I was going to do it again .... MAYBE hehe.... I would not make a 29 in floor. IT IS WAY TO SMALL TO KEEP UP WITH CUSTOMERS.....

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Sky, I believe Chris got booted from the forum some time back. He may have morphed into someone else, not sure...

Leave a comment:

• skywalker
    replied

I'm really not trying to revive an old thread. But I just finished reading the whole thing and was wondering if you could tell us how it went. I know its been a long time and your website seems to be down. But just for historic reasons, it would be cool to know what went right, what went wrong (if anything) with the oven in a trailer.

Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• letmeno
    replied

Just curious, What are the layers on the steel frame? Is that hardi backer---mortar--fb board--and finally the cooking floor?

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

Chris,

How is the trailer holding up??

In reading the comments, the axle is uber important - I have bent a trailer Axel and it really sucks due to the excess tire wear, pulling and handling.

My thought was to make an integrated smoker and oven for events (pulled pork= bueno! Pulled pork pizza = NIRVANA!)

Do tell a bit more on your vent pipe - is it double or single wall?

Thanks

The other Chris (aka C5dad)

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

Now that you've had some time with the oven, anything you would change?

Leave a comment:

• mn8tr
    replied

Total ignorance on my part but what are the threads sticking out all over the dome?

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

I've been looking at mobile versions for some time, and I often wonder how much of it is overkill. Knowing how much extra effort went into yours for travel, then seeing this latest one with seemingly nothing extra, makes me curious. Of course more is better in this case, I suppose, but more leads to cost usually. I can't get over how much they want for a new mobile oven on a trailer. That's a lot of pies!!! Seems like a homemade version helps you make money right there. (Not to mention I've emailed him multiple times and he's not responded.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X