Stefanno Ferara Napoli Oven Constuction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stefanno Ferara Napoli Oven Constuction

Slice.Seriouseasts.com blog has a great slide show of the construction of Donna Arapai's new oven

Oven Slide Show
    Last edited by dhs; 05-05-2010, 08:57 AM.

Oven Construction by a recognized craftsman...

This slide show has changed my focus from worrying about details to 'getting it done'. Thank you, thank you!

This craftsman literally enjoys rock star status in Italy....And look at his brickwork. My conclusion is that I want an oven to bake in, not brag about

Some of the builders here are capable of building satellites, they are so clean and precise. Well, a sturdy oven per the plans I will build, but I'm not going to be that clean or precise....and I refuse to feel guilty about it!

Thanks again for the link!
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Stefanno Ferara Napoli Oven Constuction

Yeah, this was discussed here last spring when it showed up: it bears repeating. Most interesting is the filling of the gaps of the bricks with refractory castable slurry. That sure saves a lot of problems.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

When you look at the build photo's, Its amazing how close his bricks are to the edge of the mobile stand. Does he not use insulation? How does he get away with doing it like that? I am planning to build a 36 inch oven with a 60 inch metal stand.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by sjdritz View Post
          When you look at the build photo's, Its amazing how close his bricks are to the edge of the mobile stand. Does he not use insulation? How does he get away with doing it like that? I am planning to build a 36 inch oven with a 60 inch metal stand.

Scott
          Mobile stand? Looks like they are building around the seriously substantial base as a permanent location....Am i missing something?
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Stefanno is suppose to be the "authority" on Neapolitan ovens so I think this warrants a close look. Who knows what is under that mound of concrete. I couldn't find any pics showing any of that. He has a flue packed in there also, I would think there is insulation in there as well. The flue is a squirrel-tail going out the rear. He is recovering some heat from the flue as it goes over the dome.

Very interesting construction method; looks to be a sand mold and he lays up the dome on the sand mold without much if any mortar. Then pours the slurry over the whole dome to fill in the spaces. This must be because of the low dome that it appears to be. Notice the buttressing around around the base, maybe 8" high then he starts the dome. Certainly the buttressing is done for the low dome configuration.

Watched the video discussion with Stefanno on the New York Post review and he talks about a book that was written in I think 1790 (couldn't hear the exact date) on how to build an oven. He is still using those same methods...and very passionate about it.... Anyone contemplating a low dome oven should probably view this.

Wonder how much that oven cost? Must have been very expensive. Stefanno, wife and crew all came over from Napoli and also shipped all the materials.
            Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

lwood,

Do you have a link for that video? Thanks,
              Scott

Comment

Sorry it wasn't the NY Post, here it is => Video: Neapolitans Talk Pizza (While Ed Levine Antagonizes Them!) | Slice Pizza Blog
                Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

i've just taken some photos of a stefano ferrara oven here in the uk which came prefabricated. He may be a legend but the brickwork is appalling and goes counter to everything you learn about fire cement and thin joint construction! A master can get away with it but if I laid bricks like that for any of my clients I would be hauled to one side and sacked. I've got to 'copy' a Ferrara oven for a pizzeria and to be honest my pride wouldn't let me build so sloppily even though I would make a lot more money if I worked that way saving on all the brickwork cuts.
                  I think Alex Chernov is the master and I've followed his method here on my slideshow Wood-fired Ovens : Forno Bravo Casa Oven
                  but Alex isn't Italian or more importantly Neapolitan.......
                  The one I've seen works but is a gas oven and doesn't seem to have that much insulation as the dome is quite warm when fired up......I'm a bit deflated by seeing those photos you posted......maybe all the care and attention isn't worth it after all!
                  Amrit
                  IMG_0001.JPG

Comment

Moderation is the ticket in my view

Originally posted by wood-fired View Post
                    ....snip......I'm a bit deflated by seeing those photos you posted......maybe all the care and attention isn't worth it after all!
                    Amrit
                    IMG_0001.JPG
                    Your points are well taken. l think the dance on these issues is some where in the middle

Pride in your work is important. Let your customer define the focus, price accordingly, and go with the flow.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I guess the owner didn't see how it was built if it came prefab. I should show him the slideshow and ask him if he wants it built the same, could save a lot of time on site as its away from home! I didn't use any formwork so the joints had to be tight to ensure stability. The Ferrara oven also had a refractory concrete hearth which is ok, but for the money I would want a firebrick or tile hearth.

Comment

here's another set of pictures of Stefano on another build:

Stefano Ferrara Building Neapolitan Pizza Oven

Comment

^ Interesting, that thing isn't leaving without a jackhammer and sledge.

Anybody know what that worn, porous, almost mossy looking brick is that he seems to use for insulation. Seems the layer directly beneath the floor is just porous brick with air-gaps, explains why he use the large refractory floor tiles since he isn't working with a flat/solid sub-surface.

Comment

Originally posted by das View Post
                            ^ Interesting, that thing isn't leaving without a jackhammer and sledge.

Anybody know what that worn, porous, almost mossy looking brick is that he seems to use for insulation. Seems the layer directly beneath the floor is just porous brick with air-gaps, explains why he use the large refractory floor tiles since he isn't working with a flat/solid sub-surface.
                            It's Tuff stone - or "tufa" as it's sometimes called (at least here in the western US). Lots of buildings in italy are made of tuff stone - because you can carve it easily. Interesting . . .

Comment

I hope you boys dont cut your bricks as 3 fingered Lello does here?

The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X