Huck Buld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Huck Buld

Hatch is located in the fertile Rio Grande Valley, about 40 miles north of Las Cruces. The abundant New Mexico sunshine and irrigation water from the Rio Grande River combine to produce lush crops of cotton, corn, vegetables, and of course, chile peppers. "Hatch Chile" is not actually a variety of pepper, but is a term used to describe peppers of several different varieties grown in the area. Actual variety names might include "Big Jim", "Joe Parker", "Sandia", and others. Green chile is the favorite at the beginning of the season, made into rellenos, enchiladas and stews. Later, the peppers ripen and turn red and are dried to be made into that delicious red chile sauce that flavors a multitude of dishes that will keep you warm all winter!

Comment

Wow - sounds great. Peppers are one thing that are not quite a common locally grown resource up here. I was just reading that Seattle broke a record this year - the latest we have ever gone in the year without break 75 at least once. Maybe we will have to start importing some of those.
      Pizza Oven Picture Gallery
      http://picasaweb.google.com/toddfas/PizzaOvenProject

Comment

Finally got all my materials in to do my WFO. Here are a few pictures as of this weekend, I got quite a bit accomplished. I got the soldier in and will start on the transition today.
        Huck

Comment

Must be trying to rush things a little too much. I started this morning to put on the second course on top of my soldiers, and the mortar had not set up hard enough and I broke to two of the soldier loose had to redo them. I had soaked by soldiers for a couple hours before installing them and they are pretty damp this morning. I guess I will work on the transition this morning and see if there hard enough tomorrow for the second course.
          Huck

Comment

I got a little progress yesterday by installing my reveal. Got up early this morning and started working on my arch. I had to help my neighbor trimmed trees today so I will not anything else done until tomorrow.
            Huck

Comment

I had soaked by soldiers for a couple hours before installing them
              Your bricks should be damp, not sopping wet.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Now you tell me Ha Ha. I thought you soaked them for a few until no bubbles could be seen. I was off base on that.
                Huck

Comment

with regards to hatch chiles...
                  Check out the food tv channels around Labor Day...this is when the Hatch Chile Festival takes place.
                  Chiles galore!
                  Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

I might go over to that , I only live about 100 miles from Hatch.NM

Comment

Well I got the first course laid today and my inner arch cemented in. I have a question for you how long do you have to wait between courses?

Comment

Don't wait at all! Keep going if you have the energy . and day light.

As long as nothing slides or moves it's ok on these lower courses that are pretty much flat. Usually after a few minutes, they wont slip foreword so you can start the next row at your dryer end & keep going. I think it's actually better to keep going while the row is still damp. When you start up the next day (after you've lightly soaked your cut bricks) you need a spray bottle or sponge and clean water to wet the dried bricks from yesterday before you attach this new batch to them. By the time you get to steeper rows, you're an oven-building pro and you will KNOW what to do.

I was also mistaken about soaking the bricks. I actually felt guilty not soaking until bubbles disappeared but I was so excited (only you wo-fo builders understand) that I only soaked for a few minutes which turned out fine.

Sometimes if the brick below is too wet it would slide "in" on me so be careful. It's not surgery so you can't hurt anyone. Cheers, Dino

ps: Keep away from the arch until it is totally dry. Yours looks good and tight but check if you need anything under it to hold them in place. But try not to knock it.
                        Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 06-17-2010, 03:10 PM. Reason: Arch should be dry before attaching bricks
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thinks Dino you have been a great help and I really appreciate it. Well tomorrow I will try and get up to three rows. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

2 course down today.

Comment

Looking good Huck,

You probably already know but try to keep an eye out to keep the rows vertical mortar joints from lining up. Maybe it's just the pic you took that makes them look that way and sometimes you do a perfect job offsetting them then you miss 1 or 2 'cuz your concentrating so hard on something else. (been there, done that )

Looks like your next row will have to "bit" into your arch. It's usually a 'pacman mouth' triangular gouge out the bricks edge that faces the curved arch. It's not that hard of a cut but really satisfying to get over the arch.
                              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks for your comments I really appreciate them.
                                Huck

Comment

Working...
                                X