Who gets the most cracks? Square vs Angled cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who gets the most cracks? Square vs Angled cuts

Well I think I feel a little more comfortable now with just making the basic cuts and not obcessing too much about that....I did some angle cuts at the top of the soldiers and laid the first 20 or so in. I really stink at bricklaying. I my inner joints are not very tight and I was really having a problem with the mortar. first it seemed too thick then it seemed like I had it too thin. I found it easiest to with if it was about the consistency of organic peanut butter. I didn't even realize I was starting to make the bricks lean to the side untill I was cleaning them up.the last one really has an ugly lean to it.

what is the secret to buttering these thing and pushing them together without making the other bricks move or come apart from each other. I had to go back and push some of the prevous ones back together as I went. It'll be a miracle if this thing stands up when it's done.

WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

Originally posted by WoodchuckDad View Post
      what is the secret to buttering these thing and pushing them together without making the other bricks move or come apart from each other. I had to go back and push some of the prevous ones back together as I went. It'll be a miracle if this thing stands up when it's done.
      I didn't even bother buttering the sides of the bricks. Once the course set the next day I forced mortar into the joints using my fingers, from both inside and outside the dome, like if I were grouting tile.

George
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Woodchuck, just a suggestion, but I would lay down some wood or cardboard to cover your surface. It will save you a butt load of time from cleaning up the dropped / splashed mortar. In regard to the mortar issue, I would just butter the inside joint and use a grout bag for the back after things have settled. As far as bricklaying - we have all been there. When you drop in your plug, you will look back and say, damn, I'm a mason.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

yeah, after cleaning up all the crap I dropped I am gonna put down something before I go on with the rest of the soldiers. And I am sure I will say something when I drop that keystone in but I darned sure won't proclaim myself a mason.
          WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

Originally posted by splatgirl View Post
            The super meticulous people who cut their bricks so that there are the tiniest of joints are also the people who obsess about cracks. Those of us that that were less meticulous have no idea whether we have cracks or not
            Hahaha This is sooo true for me. I put globs of mortar and so far haven't even seen a crack in the interior of the dome or the arches. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough (or maybe I'm not too bothered if I do have cracks or not). I do have cracks on the stucco which covers the insulation but mainly where the stucco meets the arch and chimneys. It's to be expected I guess since the two materials have different heat expansion properties.
            sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
            WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
            Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Great topic.....it puts a concern of mine to rest.

Comment

Working...
              X