replied
    Re: 42" Oven

Looking good!

Gary

Leave a comment:

• doobie dee
    replied

Started the transition...what a handful! I found that if I lay two brick, support them with a piece of wood, go and cut two brick, mix the mortar for the two brick, that the two that were laid are set enough to lay the next two. It goes much quicker than it sounds. Here are some pix to show what I mean. Starting to actually look like a pizza oven.

Leave a comment:

• BarryKeith
    replied

Have the wife and kids come out and hold the bricks. Make it a family project.

Leave a comment:

• doobie dee
    replied

I wish there was an easy clamp (similar to the one I made my tool out of) that was bigger and could somehow fit over the brick. Then I'd buy about 5 of them and use them. It seems that by the time I'm on number 6 that the previous ones have set enough to hold. But, it's definitely something to think about BEFORE mixing your precious HeatStop 50. It must've been something hilarious for my wife and neighbors to catch a glimpse of me frantically trying to keep the bricks up, at the same time trying not to let the mortar set in my pail...ha.
    Last edited by doobie dee; 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Hey Les

Isn't hot glue more of a women's tool? My wife uses it all the time. Now Duct Tape thats the real handy mans fix all!

This is what I have been worrying about too, since I only get to work on my oven 2-3 days a month. I've been thinking about making some internal forms that will help support the brick.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

You are mortaring the brick so my approach of hot melt glue will not work. You need to use more "tools" or build some quarter veins to hold more brick at the same time. You are seeing a problem at this level - trust me, it gets WAY worse at level 9 plus. You could stay the course and just give it time and enjoy the build.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• doobie dee
    replied

Just finished the 5th course and polished up the arch. Man, the courses start taking longer now that gravity is having its way. Any suggestions on keeping the brick from falling as I'm laying it? The tool works but only so much. Here are some pix.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

You just made me sooooo sad! It looks so much beeter then mine

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

That's a pretty arch.

George

Leave a comment:

• BarryKeith
    replied

Looks good.

Leave a comment:

• doobie dee
    replied

Just finished my first arch...pain in the boodie building the form but it worked out pretty well...I'll take the grinder to it when it hardens and smooth out the rough edges. I think I'm glad I used the splits.

I was starting on the next couple of courses when it started hailing on me...it's mid-June.

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by doobie dee View Post
    Hey John,
    Thanks. Have a question. What do rebating my opening/inner arch refer to?
    Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    That must be Aussie for a reveal.
    Hi Guys

Should have used the correct terminology, I meant reveal.

I use to be a cabinet maker hence the use of Rebating

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Splits vertically would work well.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

That must be Aussie for a reveal.

Leave a comment:

• doobie dee
    replied

I'm thinking about using splits on my inner arch. Has anyone else tried using splits? I was thinking it could help with smaller joints.
    Last edited by doobie dee; 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X