Countryboy build in SC, US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Countryboy build in SC, US

That looks great along with you entire project.
    Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

The midday report...

Ran out of stucco finish coat, so I came in for a shower and a break.. Lots done this morning with plans for later this afternoon. Big day!

As you recall I wasn't excited about the roughness of the chicken wire/stucco job I did on the shop wall. Whoever said, "Mortar covers a multitude of sins" is right on!! The finish coat came out fairly even and smooth. Took a little more finish that I hoped, but the savings on the diamond lath vs. the cost of the extra finish coat probably worked out in my favor.

I added colorant directly to the first batch to get a light buff color for the shop wall. After applying it as I prepared to mix the second bag I added colorant to a bucket of water then added that to the dry mix before getting it to the right consistency... Only, it came out MUCH darker/oranger... I wasn't planning to finish coat the oven base and counter supports, but there it was... close to the color I wanted.... so, I did the base and counter wall/supports.

Next I went back and was a little more careful mixing color as I went on the shop wall, but you can see it did not come out perfectly consistent. Now, we plan to paint the stucco a shade pretty close to this and the intent is to have the stucco colored so that any chipped paint will be less noticeable...

Lesson learned for others out there... To get a more consistent color next time, I would premix the whole bottle of colorant in a five gallon bucket with water. Then, I could more precisely measure a gallon of that water into the mixing bin with each bag of stucco mix. Then use clear water to get it to the desired consistency. Also, the colorant seems to settle, so agitate the water in the bucket before measuring out of it each time.

Later today I plan to lay the block for the fireplace enclosure as well as the wall behind the other counter.

On another note, the oven looks really good as a dome... I'm debating now ding without the enclosure... Oh, what to do??

For the experienced hands out there: How does 4" of vermicrete and a stucco cover compare to an enclosure with 4-8" of vermiculite around the oven? Which will perform better?

Opinions of the artistic eyes? I will have to build up the vermicrete over the arch as the design was intended to be against an enclosure backdrop...

Thoughts?

I'll have to get a cold one this evening and sit and look at it to visualize the differences...

A couple pics:

CB
      CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

I can't speak to performance and I'm not sure what enclosure you are planning, but I would go with the igloo here. I think it looks great with the wall behind it.

Comment

Thanks, Jon... Seems you are the only one willing to go out on a limb... LOL!

Let me try it this way... I did a couple hasty photo alterations in MSPaint... Ugly, but they get the point across... I'll post those for opinion (if the cat will turn loose of the lurking tongues... )

I am leaning toward the enclosure in part for higher insulation, partly to 'balance' the size of the fireplace and partly to better protect the oven from moisture, but realize either way i go can be 'undone and the other course pursued... Just costs a little more.

The rough pic of the enclosure includes stone along the top of the enclosure and stone along the base. On the dome pic, the base would be covered with the same stone... I do plan to top the wall behind the right hand counter with a flat stone with about a 1" over hang on each side...

Also, I expect the enclosure to have some sort of detail over the oven and light fixtures on either side... May consider commissioning my SIL to paint a mural of sorts on the stuccoed finish...

Look at the pics and please opine!

CB
          CB

Comment

I like the enclosure...

Peter
            Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

I think the enclosure best fits your overall layout. Are you planning on building a wall on the other side, behind the counter?

George
              Last edited by fxpose; 07-30-2010, 01:31 PM.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks for the input guys,

George, no there will not be a wall behind that counter. We want to be able to see the backyard and I think it might make the area feel too enclosed... Eventually we may put in a couple columns and a roof or pergola over the whole area, but no plans to decrease field of vision.

CB
                CB

Comment

Leaning heavily toward the enclosure.

Started on some oven tools this morning as I was/am under strict orders not to get too dirty... Company coming in a while.

Here's the thread with pics and details...
                  CB

Comment

I could stand it no longer...

Have had a couple 150 watt lights and then a 1500 watt heater going in the oven for the last five days.

Typically, around here Sunday is a day of rest, but my idleness led to my downfall... The plan was to wait until Tuesday to build the first fire, but, well, you know what they say of plans...

I built a small fire with some dry scrap wood I have been saving. It has been going for the last two hours or so. During the process I determined I would need at least one more piece of chimney flue as well as an outer door.

Pics follow of the first fire as well as the oven with one then two sections of flue. Also, I threw in a pic of the current state of the fireplace. Guessing it will be put on hold this week as we get the enclosure for the oven done. Once dry, I want to keep it that way!!

Time to read/research pizza dough recipes. Saturday night is PIZZA nite!! I can almost taste it!!

Yippee!!!

Pics follow...
                    CB

Comment

Just to complicate things why don't you do a herringbone in the fireplace?

GDR

Comment

You can't really tell in that pic, but it is herringbone on the hearth floor of the fireplace. The back will be regular lapped/stack on edge. I plan on some stone in front of hearth that will come up level with the top of the bricks, then I can straighten out the edge of the brick.

Might take a page out of your playbook and run some bick out of level... I love the stuff you did on your brick house.

The pipe to the left, set in the concrete is for a swinging pot hanger. I figure I will be able to cook just about anything between the fireplace and the WFO, though a whole pig might be a trick. Time will tell.
                        CB

Comment

No pics tonight, but a slightly larger fire with several hours of longevity while I started framing the enclosure.

Most of the metal work is up. Buying the hardibacker and metal lath tomorrow. Have several pressing things for my days off this week, but will try to finish the enclosure. Would hate to get it dried out good, then get rained on or some such!!

One other touch up tonight was to add 8" flue outside of the 6". I put 1" self tapping screws in 1/3 points and several levels to keep the 8" centered around the 6". With the smoke and fire going well the 6" was quite warm, but once the 8" was over it the temp was near ambient.

Under the gun a little. Was planning pizza for Saturday night and just found out that I have family coming in to town and the family will be gathering... possibly here on Saturday... Might be a group pizza thing for the first go!
                          CB

Comment

Might be a group pizza thing for the first go!
                            That's putting yourself under some pressure!

Enjoy
                            Mick
                            My Clay Oven build:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Got some of the enclosure done today... was a bit frustrated that other things kept getting in the way of playing with the oven, but by 4 p.m. or so I had time to dedicate (Then some friends showed up for a tour of the greenhouse... )

Anyway, the first thing my son and I worked on was installing the hardibacker, felt, lath and stucco on the wall that was to be installed closest to the shop. I framed this and we opted to fab the whole thing then bolt/screw into place since we likely would have a good bit of trouble getting the stucco on after the wall was installed....

Worked like a charm!! We let the stucco set up for about an hour then VERY gently moved it into position and screwed it in place. Pics show the wall on a table and then before/after it has been installed.

Finished framing it up and go hardibacker on the back wall before darkness started to fall.

After it got dark, working by the street behind where the fireplace is, I managed to get the roof in place. Still need to do some final trimming and fitting, but I want it ready to screw down before finishing the hardibacker/stuccoed front walls. Figured it would be easier to fit that way and I can finalize it after the walls are done.

One part of the framing at the front/right is bugging me. It is near level but the curve and angle makes it look way out of level. Weird! May unscrew a few parts and trim to fit based on the eye and not the level... or, may wait until finished as I plan a line of flat stone along the top of the facade wall and hope it will hide the oddness... Maybe it is the lower horizontal running downhill? Just noticed that...

And, just for good measure... a couple of my 'assistants' (When they are not playing hide 'n' seek or some such) eating dinner in the fireplace area while they watch me work...
                              CB

Comment

Looking great and I'm impressed with your dedication to staying on task and getting it complete in a timely manner.
                                Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Working...
                                X