Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions

Hey Eric,
    The big stones and rocks are really great. It's going to look so good. Regarding your questions, I have some thoughts to some:

3rd question: Offsetting the flue is no problem, but it's ALWAYS better to have a larger throat transition just to be safe.

2nd question: I'm not sure. Just can't picture it.

1st question: since you can't get the 8" round, do you mean getting a 12 or 14 oval (rounded rectangle) and cutting it diagonally in half and re-mortaring together? If so, there's at least 3-4 that I've seed do that successfully (check out mfiore Mike, he did that).

Just a heads up: your brick work and mortar look really nice. Good craftsmanship and very clean. But do try to offset those vertical brick joints on each row. Your pic (3rd one back) has the 1st brick off the left entry arch-wall lining up for 3 rows. I know it's bound to happen where you cant help it, but try to mix it up. I like your entry arch, turned out very nice.

Oh, the random stones thrown in through all the brick work is really nice. Can't wait to see it all done.

Cheers, Dino
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Wow. Great looking stone and brick work.
      Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post

...1st question: since you can't get the 8" round, do you mean getting a 12 or 14 oval (rounded rectangle) and cutting it diagonally in half and re-mortaring together? If so, there's at least 3-4 that I've seed do that successfully (check out mfiore Mike, he did that)....
        Yes that is what I meant and I think I am going to try it for the transition.

Just a heads up: your brick work and mortar look really nice. Good craftsmanship and very clean. But do try to offset those vertical brick joints on each row. Your pic (3rd one back) has the 1st brick off the left entry arch-wall lining up for 3 rows. I know it's bound to happen where you cant help it, but try to mix it up...
        Cheers, Dino
        Yeah, I forget about it at the beginning about the joints lining up, I get most of the rest in a running bond pattern, but the hemi-sphere and angles seem to mess with my joints after I get going in a rhythm, then it is usually too late! As I sure aren't going to take bricks out that do fit!!!

Just the got to the first into/over the arch brick today and it pretty much knocked my ***, but I finally got the one side.

Eric
        Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

# Apparently 8" diam. clay flue pipe is not available anymore (the factory out here is not making it according to my brickyard)
          I think your vendor is lying to you. 8" square flue tile is a standard construction item. You could probably special order it from the home depot contractor desk if none of your local brickyards handle it (?). Around here, they are stacked up high.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Neil a tapered door has the problem of being more difficult to make accurately and can also create problems as the structure cools and shrinks around the door. Someone on the forum reported some major damage to their oven when their door jammed because of this problem. I built my first oven with a tapered door, having made the door first and casting over it to form the entry. It worked ok, and sometimes got stuck, but will be a pain to make a new one when it finally wears/burns out. I believe the door sitting against a rebate like most ovens is a superior solution.
            Dave
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Eric,

Apologies as I haven't logged into this site in ages. My name is John and I live in up the road in St Helena. I built an oven several years ago which is documented in this forum. I would be happy to talk to you or show you my oven, send me a Private Message if you want my number.

I also used metal framing. And I used Chimney flue liner as you are considering.

As noted by others below, you really need to offset the joints in each and every course. I find every place they line up you may have a crack down the road. Start every other course with a half width brick if needed.

If you are on to the 4th or 5th chain I hope you are mitering the corners to avoid gaps.

Good luck, the kitchen and whole project look great.
              - JC

Comment

Originally posted by jahysea View Post
                Eric,

... My name is John and I live in up the road in St Helena. I built an oven several years ago which is documented in this forum. I would be happy to talk to you or show you my oven, send me a Private Message if you want my number.
                John, thanks, I would love to come see a finished oven. As my main questions are at the hearth and how the ring bricks enter the opening arch.

...If you are on to the 4th or 5th chain I hope you are mitering the corners to avoid gaps...
                John, what do you mean by "mitering the corners" I am ready to start my 5th ring (including the soldier course). I have been cutting the sides to give a taper starting withe the 2nd ring (first one above the soldier course).

Eric.
                Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Originally posted by EricU View Post

John, what do you mean by "mitering the corners" I am ready to start my 5th ring (including the soldier course). I have been cutting the sides to give a taper starting withe the 2nd ring (first one above the soldier course).

Eric.
                  That's what I meant, I did not explain it well.. You are making the face of each brick a trapezoid. The angles of that trapezoid get more aggressive as you go upward.

I chose to miter the backs of the bricks in my arch to meet the chain. I have attached a few pics. I've seen other folks notch out the bricks in the chain instead.
                  - JC

Comment

Got the front arch and the sixth ring completed this last weekend. The dome to entry arch cuts take a long time.

I started cutting the bricks into thirds for the sixth ring. It sure seems to be taking more bricks than the plan takeoffs allow for.

I also had to correct the level of the fifth ring as I started going up in elevation when hitting the arch for some reason.

Eric
                    Last edited by EricU; 08-31-2010, 01:07 PM.
                    Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

For the sixth and seventh rings I have been cutting the bricks into thirds. Is there some point that I will be cutting them into 1/4s?

Thanks, Eric
                      Last edited by EricU; 09-01-2010, 12:48 PM.
                      Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Eric - Looking good. It got pretty tedius through that 5 to 8 ring and then around 9 or 10 you beging to feel like your making much better progress. The brick cuts get smaller but the rings really start to close in so it does get better and faster. keep up the good work.
                        Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Eric, I went to 1/4's on rows 9 & 10 (my last 2 before my large keystone and I had a tall soldier course though) so you might too around rows 9 to 12 depending on how you started. Either way, at this point it's just cutting until you get a good, round fit.

You're getting close, keep up the good work,
                          Dino
                          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Got the tenth row up today, this thing is taking way longer than I thought and it is taking more bricks than I thought. I keep going back and buying more bricks. I am out of bricks again and I need to go get another 15 or 20.

The inside diameter of the hole is about 20" at the lower smaller part and about 25" at the outer larger dimension. I think I should have about three more rings to go before the final keystone.

Around row eight, I kind of dipped the ring where it met the arch, but by the ninth row I think I got it corrected. My rings are pretty round and level now.

The ninth and tenth rows were bricks cut into thirds. I think the next row I will need to cut the bricks in 1/4s.

Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

The Keystone is in, it took a lot longer than I had expected but it is in.
                              Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

The dome is FINALLY done.

1. Do I need to parge the outside of the dome?

It will have an enclosure built around it and filled with pearlite.

If so with what:
                                1. Mortar mix?
                                2. Pearlcrete?

Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Working...
                                X