Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40 inch corner install Pompeii oven (Country NSW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 40 inch corner install Pompeii oven (Country NSW)

5 to one is safe, folks have gone to as much as 8 to one, by premixing the cement and water in a slurry before adding the vermiculite.

Pompeii Oven | Brick Oven Hearth
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

where is the best place to get fire blanket here in Australia??

Comment

I would use Field Furnace 0297291799 I got everything from them and they are very helpful

Comment

great thanks guys for your help

Comment

I have been talking to a mate who is looking to make a WFO and he was looking at other plans that suggested to use Hebel as the insulating layer, has anyone heard of this and had any success with this??

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by carneage View Post
                  I have been talking to a mate who is looking to make a WFO and he was looking at other plans that suggested to use Hebel as the insulating layer, has anyone heard of this and had any success with this??
                  How would you apply it? And isn't it expensive? I am in Canberra and got all my suppliesfrom Field Furnace in Sydney as mentioned by others here. I am just about to start mine. Field Furnace have the blanket, it comes in reasonable large but not too heavy boxes. I imagine the good transport it to you.

Comment

Looking at other plans that suggested to use Hebel as the insulating layer, has anyone heard of this and had any success with this?
                    There's been a lot of talk about the use of AAC blocks instead of vermiculite under the oven floor. It's not particularly efficient, but it's a lot less expensive than refractory board, so you using six inches or more is affordable. It gets really brittle when exposed to heat, so you don't want to use it in any structural way.

Google

I have no personal experience with the stuff. It's not sold at retail in the US.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I've used it as an insulating layer on three ovens. If you want to use it structurally you can use the 75mm power panel which has Some 5mm steel rod cast into the middle. I used some of this for my mobile oven in an effort to reduce weight, but it has cracked on the bottom, I think as a result of going over a speed bump when I forgot I was towing the oven. It is way more expensive than casting your own insulating slab, but has the advantage of being quick, nice and flat to put your floor over, and being dry you won't have to worry about driving the water out of it. The short of it frm me would be to stick with a vermicrete layer.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Great thanks for the feed back

Comment

Carneage
                          I have used Hebel as my hearth insulation Why... I had a good supply of it cheap? most free spent 20 bucks on the rest.
                          Works?.. seems to have had 4 pizza temp firing to date and cement slab remained cool.
                          Mix the cement by hand Wow you must be fit
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	hebel layer in position.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	282952

Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Fit... no! stupid ....Yes :-)
                            What size Hebel did you use,
                            Last edited by carneage; 10-03-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

country

fitter than me to age forty i had the 6 pack now quite a few years later, the fully slab. the secound i used 55mm but in hind sight and if i didn't have a freeby supply i would have gone 100 mm or more what the heck the stuffs cheap but if you can lay a layer of perlite its a lot lighter than cement.

regards
                              dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Finding Vermiculite in Country NSW slow going , Most have it on their books but not in stock... Ebay to the rescue... cheaper and quicker delivery than if i ordered it in...
                                however i have been able to do more work on the out door kitchen prep work for the doors to lead out from the dining room and source the components to finish the outdoor area, LPG hot water, sink, fridge, cast concrete bench tops, and splash backs... should be a great entertaining area... just in time for summer

Comment

Working...
                                X