• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTflorida
    replied
    Re: Concrete counters poured in place

JRW makes several good points.

Here is my experience earlier in the year: I did a 'remodel' of my 3 yr old Pompeii oven due to water infiltration. Long story short, covering my existing dome (finished mosaic over 5" of insulation) with another 1" blanket, a rubber pond liner toped sith SBC and tumbled river stone. THis aspect worked perfectly.
    I then proceeded to cover my existing counter area with concrete. I chose the Cheng Pro Formula (color burgandy). I followed the instructions to the letter, every step correctly. I have had 4 hairline cracks (1 in the dead center of each side) . I can understand the one right in the middle of the oven entry do to the heat. Not sure of the cause, I did EVERYTHING per the instructions and still cracked during second firing. Used reinforced mesh and 1/4" rebar.
    There must be a knack to getting them just right...and I just missed. Looks beautiful, just what I expected, but I have those damn cracks. I'm sure it must be something that I did or did not do.In any case, I plan to live with it since has onother complete finish under it, I dont foresee and issues. THe problem is pride - I had it well known that I was improving my oven (and I did) but now I'm left explaining the cracks.

OH Well!

RT

Leave a comment:

• JRWQuattro
    replied

Having built a few counters inside, I would recommend good reinforcement and using a higher grade concrete with plenty of plasticisers to keep the counter from shrinking and cracking. If you are building on a masonary foundation (brick/stone/concrete) the counter may want to shrink a a different rate than the foundation. Molding the counter and then installing it with adhesives allow it to shrink independently and move as needed.
    I have used Buddy Rhodes mix/system in the past with good success and find it easy to work with. Buddy Rhodes' pressed method is unique and leaves everyone guessing what our counters are made from.

Leave a comment:

• EricU
    replied

Concrete counter tops are GREAT if you have the correct expectations. In other words if you want a very uniform color or finish, then you dont want concrete. But if you like the varied look that will change then concrete is great.

Just remember, the concrete;
    1. Wont match the color in the catalog
    2. Wont match the photo in the magazine (they are usually taken at sunset with the interior lights on and the concrete slabs are watered down)
    3. The color will vary
    4. The color will age
    5. May require maintenance*
    6. Wont Burn

*I say "May require" maintenance as I generally seal my exterior concrete counter tops twice about 6 months apart and then do nothing. I like to use darker colors and let them stain or patina depending on how you look at it.

I will be installing three different styles in my backyard myself. One poured in place at my WFO. One poured upside down with ground wine bottle glass for the counter top next to the WFO and one "Buddy Rhodes Press" style for my BBQ area.

I say if you like the look and dont expect it to look like granite, go for it. You can always rip it out! And now I have to get back to creating some more glass for my counter top!

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    replied

The plan is to cast in place. I will form all the way around the oven with a cantilever on the front and sides.

Leave a comment:

• splatgirl
    replied

I always advise people to do at least a small test slab before tackling the real thing. You'll get a better feel for the process and have a guinea pig surface to play around with finishing techniques and products, all of which can become a nice stepping stone in your yard later
    If you add stain or colorant, be aware that many or most products will fade if exposed to direct sunlight. A UV resistant sealer will help, but I'm not sure offhand whether any of the food-safe products are also UV resistant...

Are you going to cast it in place or build a form and set it into place later?

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    started a topic Concrete counters poured in place

Concrete counters poured in place

I haven't worked on the oven at all this summer, but we cook in it at least 3 times a week.
    But it is time to get it finished and the next step is the concrete counter. I have seen some on here, but want to ask what others have done and what they would do different.
    What materials did you use?
    Did you add color, or stain after?
    All help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Tom
Working...
X