X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichC
    replied
    Re: Concrete counters poured in place

Thanks Deejay, good to know. I had just assumed that Portland cement or plasticiser would have toxic chemical components to them

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by RichC View Post
    Hi, I assume that concrete counters(polished or otherwise) arent food safe? or am I wrong about this? Im loving the finishes I'm seeing on here and I'm pretty sure I'm going to try one. How do people get around this or are people preparing food directly ont he polished concrete?

Thanks

Richard
    They're totally food safe. Same as what many people put in their houses. I'm not certain why you think they would not be.

Leave a comment:

• RichC
    replied

Hi, I assume that concrete counters(polished or otherwise) arent food safe? or am I wrong about this? Im loving the finishes I'm seeing on here and I'm pretty sure I'm going to try one. How do people get around this or are people preparing food directly ont he polished concrete?

Thanks

Richard

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    replied

Thanks for all the advise, I will start the forms this weekend.
    Jag, I really like your build. Your arch is different and looks awesome and the door fits nicely. I the color glaze to put in the oven and then I will start on the counter.
    Not sure how long it will take, but I will for sure be using the oven even with forms in the way.

Cheers,
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• JAG
    replied

Exactly, I agree totally with experimentation and practice.

I have several small slabs from practice.

John

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

"I always advise people to do at least a small test slab before tackling the real thing."

I agree completely with splatgirl on this. The process is not too difficult but some hands on experience first will pay off. Make some benches and patio blocks etc. Experiment with colour.

Leave a comment:

• JAG
    replied

Tom,

Here are a couple of photos of my first ever pour in place project made with Quikrete counter top mix. The counter and hearth are both cantilevered. I added colored glass bits to the surface and I made my form with an inset for the indigo tiles around the face of the counter. This was a very interesting project and being the first large counter project I have learned much. Hopefully I will have the chance to use the lessons learned on a redo or another smaller project. (Just don't tell my wife of the thoughts of a redo)

John

Leave a comment:

• DaveW
    replied
    Re: roof tiles

Originally posted by Pdiff View Post
    Yeah, they are pricey. Was considering fabbing up some myself from high fire clay. While in Italy this summer, I closely studied the various tile roofing systems there (what that means is I have endless numbers of pictures of tile roofs that nobody understands but me ). All fairly simple in their layout. I was surprised by the number of different kinds, typically changing with the locality, but all having that same final tile roof look. Many ways to skin the cat, as they say. Sure would be easier to find some .

I also wanted to compliment you on the concrete chimney cap. That use of sonotube was very clever and the result was nice and clean. I'm impressed you poured it in place! Nice job.

Thanks for the info. I'll study that site a bit more ...
    Thanks,

Our roof included the field tiles, end tiles, ridge caps, gable rakes and eve closures, but you can do the entire thing with just simple curved pans. My wife wanted me to try to cast them. . . I talked her out of it.
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• Pdiff
    replied
    roof tiles

Yeah, they are pricey. Was considering fabbing up some myself from high fire clay. While in Italy this summer, I closely studied the various tile roofing systems there (what that means is I have endless numbers of pictures of tile roofs that nobody understands but me ). All fairly simple in their layout. I was surprised by the number of different kinds, typically changing with the locality, but all having that same final tile roof look. Many ways to skin the cat, as they say. Sure would be easier to find some .

I also wanted to compliment you on the concrete chimney cap. That use of sonotube was very clever and the result was nice and clean. I'm impressed you poured it in place! Nice job.

Thanks for the info. I'll study that site a bit more ...

Leave a comment:

• DaveW
    replied

Originally posted by Pdiff View Post
    DaveW,

If, I may, what info do you have on the roof tiles? I can't find anything like them around me. I really like the look.

Thanks.
    Thanks the roof tiles are from Ludowici

Ludowici Roof Tile - Product

They are 13 1/4 inch spanish barrels (color terra cotta). I found a distributor about an hour away. Around $800 to do the roof! Not cheap.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

That concrete ofuro is awesome! We had a concrete ofuro in Japan when I was growing up.

Leave a comment:

• Pdiff
    replied

DaveW,

Sweet build and great pictures. Nice to see as I am working-planning on several similar items from the roof to the counters to the pavers. BTW: What time is dinner ?

If, I may, what info do you have on the roof tiles? I can't find anything like them around me. I really like the look.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• DaveW
    replied

If you click on my picassaphoto link below there are some pictures towards the end of the 400+ photos. We used the Cheng mix (chianti) with HomeDepot 5000psi concrete. You have to pre mix the cheng powder/fibers with the concrete and then add the water. This is a pain as the concrete sticks to the mixer because you can't add a little water first. It goes in the form very dry so we had a lot of holes to fill. I did accidentally add way too much water to the last pour but I can't tell the difference from the rest now that it is ground down. Cheng recommends using a vibrater in the concrete but we just pushed it down by hand and beat the forms with a hammer. I would recommend the vibrator if you can find one. When you go to fill the holes Cheng does not give you extra color so you will have to take a shot at mixing your own. We used the liquid color from Lowes (with portland and fortifier)and ended up with pink. We have just one small crack (so far) behind the grill where the counter is only 3 inches wide. I bought a wet grinder online but found it difficult to keep an even hand. As a result the surface ended up a little uneven. However I sloped the forms 1/2 inch back to front so water doesn't pool. We sealed it with Chengs foodsafe sealer which claims to be UV resistant. I am very happy with the sealer, no stains so far and easy to apply.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• splatgirl
    replied

I have a photo set of the formed countertop process and some finished slabs here:
    Making Concrete Countertops - a set on Flickr
    That project was about ~150 sq/ft.

I've not done as much cast in place stuff, but what I have done has been pretty insane...
    Making a Concrete Ofuro - a set on Flickr
    also my WFO countertop:

Cracking is 99% relative to the amount of water used in the mix. Always, always err on the side of less water and definitely use a plasticizer at the max rate indicated. As you will see from my photoset, that means you'll end up with more voids that require filling afterward but, at least to me, that means more interest. I'm still crack free after five years.

I've never used colorant or stain. I've also never seen a colored or stained surface that hadn't faded from exposure to light. I know the sealer market has expanded drastically in the last few years, so maybe there are better UV blocking sealers now, especially if you can live without it being food safe...

If you want something really perfect looking, be advised that you will probably NOT get that with your first, second or even tenth attempt. As others have already said, concrete counters ala DIY are best for those whose aesthetic isn't perfection, now or ever.
    I've always used bagged quickcrete 5000 and added microfibers, plasticizer and carbon fiber grid reinforcement plus pencil rod or rebar in critical areas. What I did for my outdoor cantilever was to drill rod into my hearth slab and bend it it over to extended into the countertop form.

If your plan is to wrap the hearth stand with tops on more than one side, at the very least you'll need to put control joints at the corners because you absolutely WILL get cracks at any inside corner no matter what. Maybe even do separate castings for the front and sides.

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    replied

Thanks to everyone that responded.
    Does anyone have pictures they would like to share?

Thanks,
    Tom

Leave a comment:

Working...
X