Oven opening and vent design detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven opening and vent design detail

Can anyone direct me to some photos of the oven opening and vent design details? I am having trouble getting this part straight in my mind.

Also, I would like to post the photos of my build so far. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

Re: Oven opening and vent design detail

Can anyone direct me to some photos of the oven opening and vent design details?
    PhotoPlog - Vent and Chimney
    Also, I would like to post the photos of my build so far. What is the best way to do this?
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/u...otos-3241.html
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by lhuhn View Post
      I would like to post the photos of my build so far. What is the best way to do this?
      lhuhn;

now that you have started a thread, if you reply to your own thread you will be able to add photos by clicking on "Manage Attachments" under "Additional Options" at the bottom of the window where you type your reply.

Most of us have difficulty visualising the transition to the opening and vent as dmun has suggested take a look at the photo gallery he has linked, though I get more value out of reading people's build threads and looking at the photos they post along with the questions about the opening and vent transitions. It also helps to sketch it out to work out the dimensions if you are that way inclined. I sketch mine to scale, see examples attached

Comment

Hello everyone,
        I am building a 28" internal diameter oven, so should the chimney diameter be less that 6"?

Thanks

Eddie
        My Web site

Comment

Hi Eddie,

The new oven build on your site looks good; don't forget to install a reveal against which your oven door will go. I've not built an oven before, but have been around wood stoves most of my life. I wouldn't go less that 6" as it may (probably will) impede the draft. Also I do not think you'll find too many manufacturers of stove pipe for wood burning appliances that is smaller than 6" in diameter. The pipe that is smaller than 6" is usually for natural gas/propane, etc. Furthermore you may run into code issues if you try.

gene

Comment

I would not only advise the reveal for a solid door seal, but also to flare the vent sides and extend them out, line the floor with firetiles, and use that area as a fireplace. Perhaps some fireplace cranes for pots.

Comment

Thanks Gene and Thermojax,
              If you see my oven that I built in Jacksonville, you will see that I did leave a reveal for the door, and that was important to me as well, and proved to be very practical especially when you want to leave the oven warm overnight to bake some bread next morning. So, of course I will leave a reveal on this one as well. My oven in Jax was 36" in diameter, but this one is 28", and that is why I paused the question because I wanted to make sure I do not impact the draw.
              Thanks again.

Eddie
              My Web site

Comment

Here's a single pic of mine:

And if you click here, there are 30 more of arch-vent-transition, etc.:
                Picasa Web Albums - Dino - vent trans

This is one of the hardest parts to "see" in your brain how it's going to work. But you'll get thru it.

Good luck, Dino
                Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM.
                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

i wish that i had that extra "rise" in my transition. i just continued the arch and built my chimney flue flush. i get a little more smoke coming out of the front of the oven (at start up) than i had hoped for, and it's really no big deal, but it discolors the terra cotta tile that i framed the opening with...

Comment

"This is one of the hardest parts to "see" in your brain how it's going to work."

Just dive in and start building it, it will become evident as you go.

Comment

Eddie,
                      What size is your oven stand/hearth for the 28" oven?
                      Thanks,
                      gene

Comment

Hi Gene,

Here are all the measurements: the stand is 43 inches high, plus 3.5 inches concrete slab, plus 4.5 inches vermicrete(vermiculite and portland cement).
                        It is 55 inches wide by 72 inches long. this is to accomodate 28 inch cooking surface + 4 inches fire bricks width + 5 inches insulation on the side before I apply the stucco, it is longer from back to front to have some working surface. Hope this answers your question.
                        Cheers

Eddie
                        My Web site

Comment

The hearth slab is 55 inches by 72 inches but the insulation slab is 36 inches by 44 inches.

Eddie

Comment

Great...thanks Eddie. I'm planning a similar build and our dimensions are just about the same...
                            gene

Comment

Good Luck, I will keep updating my web site and the forum, so that whatever I go through is posted.

Salute

Eddie
                              My Web site

Comment

Working...
                              X