Chch NZ build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chch NZ build

I have been reading a lot and posting qustions and so i am now belatedly going to start a thread. I hope the photos are of interst and please don't be too tough on the lack of craftmanship.

The initial plan was to build a 36 inch Naples but i gradually changed to follow thers recommendations. So a 1 metre diameter dome, aiming for 49 cm height ended up being the goal.
    I have used an I tool, slightly offset from the centre by a hinge. I have not used the clamp with this as intended and maybe that is why I have gone out of round.
    Generally the brick work has been tolerable although compared to others the grout gaps and brick placements have been a bit ugly.
    I struggled with transition and i have ended up using a lot of homebrew around the inner arch to dome connection. Hopefully this will not prove to be anything other than an aestetic problem.
    I least i know the structure is reasonably strong as during the build it has experienced 100 s of aftershocks from our 7.1 earthquake!
    Reach chain 8 and i am looking forward to the sky shot looking through the closing roof

Re: Chch NZ build

Took all day working on chain 8, way harder than the previous. The out of round proved a real problem. I have a gentle spiral going on and I did not think i could get the whole chain to marry up. However, i have just the keystone to fit and although it will be extreme i think it will work. Inspite of my doubts it looks like i live to fight another day but it is getting more difficult to keep the bricks in sympathy. I the end i was pretty pleased with the overall progress albeit very slow.
    Please tell me it gets easier now as i approach the last few chains,

Comment

John,

Excellent progress. I know the feeling about dealing with the out of round. I think that most folks do as well as the transition is the headache we all deal with. I personnnaly put in 2 partial chains above my transition to feel better, especially since I had to cut keystones for each arch. To paraphrase a comment from Dino to me - after the dome is covered, it will work the same.

Keep the chin up Mate - pizza for Christmas is still on tap!

Chris
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Thanks Chris
        Raining today so progress could be halted. Might use the time to research the flue and smoke chamber. I will post a photo shortly and welcome feedback.

Comment

The rain stopped so i manged to fit the keystone for chain 8. ticky cut but it went quite well. Cleaned up inside and touched up a few grout lines. Tried to clean up some of the cement haze with some acid wash. As you can see i am far from perfectly round and the sky shots not great. The i tool may be unusable for the next course as i am too far off the target shape, although it did prove useful as a guide if not the exact brick placement device.

Comment

Finished the next chain 9 ( including soldier course ) - biy of a nightmare. I could only get round by a bit of stepping and cutting. Not happy with appearance inside the dome although at least it wont show - i don't think i will be taking any flash photos either! Looks like one more chain then close the dome off. I am wondering if i should go for a couple of arches then infill rather than the conventional approach. I have seen some use this concept. Having spent 30 mins inside the dome cleaning up i can relate to the comments of others. A visit to the chiropractic is about the only comparable experience i have had.

Comment

Finished the last full chain and created the keystone. I cut and dry staked the brick for the forst time since the soldier course. This really helped in terms of progress. just a shame that my mistakes in the previous couple of courses made the appearance of the inside of the dome a bit shabby. The hole of the keystone was a bit eccentric in all respects but i was happy with the sculpting of the brick. Tomorrow i will fit and seal the dome up.

Comment

Heres a view of the keystone. Took a while on the tile saw but i am happy with the outcome.

Comment

A keystone relates to an arch as its the "key" to it all staying up.

Yours would be a plug, as the dome is already supported.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

John,

You are making great progress. The last chain looks great and the plug does too. Can't wait to see your outer arch and smoke box. I found that I am getting better with the cuts as I go along too. Kind of wished I did an oven for someone else first and then my own to take the lessons learned.
                    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Nice looking dome.

dave
                      Last edited by DaveW; 12-09-2010, 06:44 AM.
                      Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Doesn't that feel so GOOD! Placing in that plug...what a sense of accomplishment. Congratulations John...it looks great.

Comment

Thanks for the correction of terminology, I wasn't aiming to confuse anyone.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. In spite of reading a lot from this forum it can't replace first hand experience. I reckon my next dome would be easier and technically better. Still hopefully this will work as an oven okay - seems like quite a bit to do yet.

Comment

Hi there John
                              Good job, must be a good feeling to have the dome completed.... I have just got the pavers for my dome and are going to make a start on Monday or Tuesday. I am not sure of the reason behind a off set as opposed to a center I tool. Can you explain in simple terms the diff and why you chose the off set one. I was going to use a support system but feel that the free laying of the bricks is the way to go... always up for a challenge.
                              Cheers
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X