Has anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone?

this may be crazy idea but has anyone built a brick dome around their oven. This is hard for me to explain. But can you build a brick dome over your finished dome in order to get a brick dome look? ya now i am confusing myself.
    i don't know if you could lay the brick right on the dome or create a space that could be filled. If anyone has tried this i would love to hear from them. And if i come across as confusing just ignore me its been a long winter!! thanks

Re: Has anyone?

Others have built brick enclsoures (Balty Knowles) but make sure you insulate. You can also apply brick splits (Breven) to concrete board. If you lay brick directly against your oven dome you will be adding uninsulated heat-soaking mass. Definitely not efficient!

Comment

why would anything laying on the outside of the dome draw heat? when i have a fire and get up to cooking temps the outside of my oven is ambient temperature. anyway what about building a dome similar to my oven and fill space between with loose vermiculite?
      i guess what i am trying to achieve is a brick dome look for the outside! i lioke my igloo look but hate my stucco.

Comment

I haven't seen it done, but it is something I've been wanting to do for some time now.

If I were to do it, I would build a normal Pompeii, do 2 to 3 inches of insulation blanket to absorb heat and dome expansion, then create a 2"-3" "shell" with lath and pearlcrete. Then lay up half bricks one layer at a time around the dome just like building a Pompeii in reverse. I might also consider installing a water proofing membrane between the pearlcrete and bricks just for good measure.

Comment

Nic, i think you and I are on the same page! My dome is now stucco'd and pretty much water proof. i imagine it would be tough to lay up half bricks on top of stucco. I also thought of trying to build a roundish form with metal and concrete board. but i cant imagine being able to or even want to try and cut that concrete board into small enough pieces to create a round shape!!

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
            Others have built brick enclsoures (Balty Knowles) but make sure you insulate. You can also apply brick splits (Breven) to concrete board. If you lay brick directly against your oven dome you will be adding uninsulated heat-soaking mass. Definitely not efficient!
            You didn't state previously how you would be doing it, so this statement is correct. If you will put insulation on the main dome, and not be resting the outer bricks against the inner bricks, that would make this statement non-applicable.
            My oven (for now):
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

The bricks will need to be cut into halfs 3.5" wide, 3.5" long, and 2.5" tall, or into thirds 3.5" wide 1.75" long and 2.5" tall and you will have to think of it more as laying the bricks on as a veneer rather than a self supporting external structure. The dome will easily support the little bit of additional load. The 50" oven I just finished easily supported 2 180 lb people standing on it, with building materials in hand. The big thing is having a material like ceramic insulating blanket in there to absorb expansion and contraction, or your mortar joints will crack bad on that outside veneer.

What kind of stucco do you have on the dome? is it a synthetic material like Dryvit or STO, or is it just a cement based sand mix?

IF it is a synthetic, use a bonding additive in your mortar mix. If it's cement based the bonding additive is less important. The Technique will be to, lay down a little bedding mortar, then butter up the back side and the side of the brick that will touch the previous brick and just start laying them in, one row at a time. Tap them into place with a rubber mallet or your trowel. Joints should be 3/8" to 1/2" on all sides. Scrap excess mortar flush with brick faces as you go, let firm up for 2 to 3 hours and then use a jointing tool to smooth and press mortar neatly into brick joints.

Comment

I've seen several builds like that.

Are you thinking about something like these?:

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza_oven.../Mazatlan.html

Pizza Oven Photo Overton, NV
                Last edited by fxpose; 03-01-2011, 01:27 PM.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Here is another one.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/o...ures-1791.html
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                    I've seen several builds like that.

Are you thinking about something like these?:

Pizza Oven Photo Mazatlan

Pizza Oven Photo Overton, NV
                    i like that first one!! mazatlan

Comment

Originally posted by Lousdepot View Post
                      i like that first one!! mazatlan
                      Remember: that's an indoor oven. Common red brick is porous, and absorbs a lot of moisture. I like the look too, but I think it needs to be under a canopy or pergola of some kind.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

"why would anything laying on the outside of the dome draw heat? "

Heat will travel to the denser material and particularly if it is touching where the heat can travel easily via conduction. My first oven had a nifty rock with PEACE written on it,set into the outside stucco. The rock got way hotter than the stucco that surrounded it because it was denser. We used to use it as a temp gauge. If you couldn't hold your hand on it then the oven was ready for pizza.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                          Remember: that's an indoor oven. Common red brick is porous, and absorbs a lot of moisture. I like the look too, but I think it needs to be under a canopy or pergola of some kind.
                          i figure that was either inside or in a real dry climate!

Comment

i am getting closer and closer to building a structure around my dome! i just think its too wet where i live to keep fighting it.. here are some pictures of my stucco failure. I know i can get this to eventually be right but i am not sure i like the looks of it!!

Comment

Your Stucco coat looks too thin.

Comment

Working...
                              X