X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rodeair
    replied
    Re: Pensacola Build

Next step after the cabinet area was the bars on either side. I hadn't filled the cells of the block walls where the bars go, so I formed the bars with rebar going all the way down the side walls. I had to glue the top 2 layers of block together with construction adhesive so they wouldn't move as the forms were being built. Each bar and wall took 8 bags of Maximizer. I also used Thompsons water seal (spray can), in the forms for release agent. All worked well.

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

After a couple of years in hibernation, the project resumed toward the end of 2014. My last puzzle was to determine the chimney setup. I used a template of where the pergola beams would go, but it was still too sketchy. I figured I would have to build the pergola to get the proper setup for the oven flue, etc. It was easier to get started on the cabinet and bar areas first, so that's how I proceeded. Pretty much completely reverse of how I planned it in the beginning. Basically laid the cinderblock dry-stacked, then filled every other cell with a hunk of rebar and concrete. I used Maximizer concrete which worked really well. It fills about a 1/4 to 1/3 more volume per 80 lb bag.

Leave a comment:

• PizzaIdiot
    replied

how's the oven going? I got my arch done - next to connect course 6 to it.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• PizzaIdiot
    replied

Hi Leigh,
    How's the build going? I haven't seen much posted.
    I've been left to work on my counter (too much rain and freezing temperatures mixed in with all these beautiful days). Oh yeah, my real work gets in the way too.
    Jeff
    PS I'm going to be in Gulf Shores the first week of April.

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Thanks Russell. Do you need plans for a pergola? or something to put under it. I have plans for the one I'm building which will be about 22 ft square. It's designed to withstand hurricanes, but I'll be glad to share them with you if it's what you're looking for.
    Leigh

Leave a comment:

• OzOvenBuilder
    replied

Magnificent looking job, I'm looking for any ideas I can find for my pergola area so I'll be watching with interest!

Russell.

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Thanks Lee, I am enjoying the challenge but I'll be relieved when it's "dried in". Everyone still thinks I'm nuts.
    Leigh

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Looking good!

Glad to see you enjoying the process.

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Well, after alot of deliberation, this is what I am stuck with for a chimney system. I'll have to remove the anchor plate and build a transition out of brick etc. I can't go higher because of the pergola structure. When finished, I'll run a few fires to see how the draw will be. If worse comes to worse, a blower installation might be needed. Oh well.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Removed the molds. It worked out fair. I blew it on the chimney design. I didn't get the angles right in my planning. Does anyone know if it's ok to stack the angled chimney pipe as pictured? I'm trying to offset the chimney about 3 feet without having a 15 foot tall enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Finally able to get back to the oven. I finished the block wall around the oven and filled every other cell with concrete and a "J" hook for later. The next layer is a combination cap and half round break between layers. I got some thick walled 3 inch water pipe for the round mold. Firstly ripped in half, then another cut on the upper edge for a blended look. I wanted to try out the Quikcrete Countertop mix. It was a little bit of a pain since it is a fairly dry mix. I ended up using 7 1/2 bags @ $11.00 a bag. After a couple of days I'll remove the mold and see how it turned out. Next step is metal framing for the rest of the way up.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Installed three layers of Superwool on dome. Drilled some more rebar holes for the cinderblock structure and stacked the blocks. The enclosure will eventually be faced with a veneer of manufactured stone. The insulated gap at the face of the outer arch will serve to allow cut corner stones to make up a decorative arch. After filling every other block cell with concrete, the next step is a 3 inch concrete cap with a rounded edge, then metal framing the rest of the way up.

Leigh
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Worked on the front of the oven for this round of fun. First thing was to drill into the hearth slab to install re-bar with construction adhesive. Set the cinder block and filled with concrete. I put "J" bolts into the concrete to help attach the metal framing for the rest of the enclosure. I wanted insulation between the entry and the fascade, so with the help of hardi-backer, angle iron, threaded rod, and vermicrete I was able to close off the front of the oven with an insulated barrier. I am still in the process of curing fires. The first picture shows how well the draw is on the chimney. No smoke out of the front at all. I'll end up with a offset 8inch chimney, so hopefully when that's set up it'll draw just as well.

Leigh
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Hello Jeff, you make three very good points for a oven or a patio. The entry is 25.5 inches at the outer arch and 20 inches at the inner arch after accounting for the 1 inch reveal. The outer arch is 14.5 inches tall, the inner is 12.5 inches tall. The dome is 20 inches tall which gave me about 63% ratio for the entry. The construction of the flared entry is interesting, but the added area for the flue makes it draw like a champ. To give credit where credit is due, Dino_Pizza was the build I emulated.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• PizzaIdiot
    replied

Leigh, You're making great progress.
    Three things you can be sure about for pizza ovens
    1. They'll be used a lot.
    2. No one will steal them
    3. They'll crack.
    Wait - maybe they were talking about patios!
    Just a quick question, what is the width of your two entry ways (20" and 26")? It looks like a 1" reveal around the inner entry.
    I was planning 20" and 24", but I like how yours looks.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X