X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith In Virginia
    replied
    Re: Pensacola Build

Don't you just love it when an oven comes together?

Nice!!!

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Thanks John, I appreciate that. Your build is a lesson in precision which I appreciate as well.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Leigh,

Nice job on the cuts and assembly. You'll have a first-rate oven when you're done.

John

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Thanks Lee, I'm looking forward to it. JCG31"s slope/angle graph has been the ticket for figuring out the angles. Hopefully by the end of the week it'll be a complete dome.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

You are almost there!!

The most challenging bricks are coming, but when you close the top, it will seem soooo simple to have done.

It looks great!

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Another course and a half done. I really love this homebrew. After all of this mortaring, I've figured out the right wetness of the mortar and the brick to get the best stick. The half course is about 75 degrees and after just a minute or so, it's stuck well enough to move along to the next brick. After about 15 minutes, the brick is solid enough for cleaning. These two courses are the first I've had to crawl inside the dome to clean, glad I fit ok. If not for the lightning and downpours, I might have finished except keystone.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Finished one more course. I had some problems with this one. I started using smaller bricks, and the 5 degree angle wouldn't work out. I've been using JCG31's slope angle graph to figure my bevels and angles. The bevels have been working out fine, the angles I'll have to play with from now on. Still having fun except the heat is terrible.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Another course completed. Kind of slow going, but I can see the finish line after getting through the arch transition.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Finally finished another course including the dreaded arch transition. After everything cures up for a few days, I'll contour the inside area around the arch. It took the weekend to figure out how to do the transition, but like everything else, if I could do it again starting with the course before, I'd do it differently. Hopefully it's sound and will last as long as the oven does. The whole build I've struggled with the left side of the dome. I start at the opposite side of the entry, and work toward the arch both ways. Maybe it's because working left to right, then right to left, I don't know. But one thing I know...oh yes...I will have the last laugh because the left side is where the fire will be, forever. Wish I counted the man-hours, even though it really is a blast to build this thing.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Thanks Mark. I have been using homebrew 3:1:1:1 with 1.8-2 parts water. I've been mixing it pretty wet to start with and add water when needed. I have been following your build and send my congrats, looks great.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• AtTheLake
    replied

The heat is not kind for mortaring
    That's an understatement. I am in Orlando for training and the heat is a killer for anything outside, except sitting by the pool with a margarita.
    Anyhow, the oven looks great.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Thanks chidding, I appreciate that. Another course completed with the hated arch transition. I'm not smart enough to figure out a quick way to fit the bricks in this area, but 3 hours took care of the two bricks at the arch. Like everyone else that's been there, I'll be glad when this part's over.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Excellent work so far Leigh.. really impressive work! will be following this one closely!

Leave a comment:

• rodeair
    replied

Thanks Jeff. Good luck with your build. The heat here has been not so kind to mortaring bricks. I hope to keep the progress going at a decent clip. I have new found respect for everyone that took on this project. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Leigh

Leave a comment:

• PizzaIdiot
    replied

It's looking great! Keep the pictures coming!

I'm way behind you. Concrete pad is being poured tomorrow.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X