Pensacola Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pensacola Build

Don't you just love it when an oven comes together?

Nice!!!

Comment

Thanks Faith, It is very nice to see the dome closing up. I researched this for a number of months, looked at hundreds of pictures, and the one surprising thing about the whole build so far is the size of it. Even after looking at all of the pictures of the various builds, the actual size of the dome is impressive.

Leigh

Comment

Second to last course completed. Really looking forward to the last few bricks.

Leigh

Comment

Yay! On to the chimney,etc.

Comment

Leigh,

That is one fantastic-looking dome! Exceptional attention to detail in and out, and above all, patience. Can't wait to see pics of the food the comes out of it!

Bam!!!

John

Comment

nice job. keep going, you can almost taste the pizza

Mike

Comment

Leigh--

your build is very impressive (and ambitious). It has been fun to follow, keep up the good work!

Gregg

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. Patience as well as the great wealth of knowledge on this forum has been the key.

Leigh

Comment

Started working the vent/chimney area. My thanks to Dino_Pizza again for engineering a great transition. I particularly enjoyed the Quaker hat solution. I'll be using Selkirk MetalBest for the piping, just waiting for the anchor plate to get here so I can finish with the mortar and get the couple weeks of drying and curing done.

Leigh

Comment

Hi Leigh,

Wow - It's looking great and you are making good time too - especially in that heat and humidity!

How did you make the flat "quaker hat" since your front arch and back arch were different heights? Did you just cut the curved bricks that sit on the arch at different thicknesses?

Jeff
                      Jeff
                      My 42-inch build

Comment

Jeff - That's exactly how it was done. The side pieces were interesting as well. Today I added a little thermal mass to the oven, (whatever that means). Hopefully I'll be able to start curing next weekend if I can ever get the chimney anchor plate delivered and mortared in place.
                        Leigh

Comment

Have you been able to make any progress lately?

I had a little setback. I didn't like the first batch of fire bricks - they were wire cut and don't look as nice as the typical bricks. I'm going to post pics on my thread once I take some.

-jeff
                          Jeff
                          My 42-inch build

Comment

Hey Jeff, thanks for asking. I was able to mortar the anchor plate although I still have to drill and install the anchor bolts. I'm working through a bit of a planning episode for the rest of the enclosure. Even though I made a model of the MetalBest 30 degree elbow, it will be necessary to get the actual elbow to measure the proper angles of the enclosure and to set the forward wall properly. This long weekend was a wash thanks to the tropical storm. My gazebo cover got rolled up in a ball even though it was anchored by cinder blocks. Luckily the oven remained dry after about 8 inches of rain. The IR thermometer was purchased from Harbor Freight for $39.00. It only goes to 968F, but for the price, it'll do. Once I get the elbows for the chimney, I'll be able to build the next level of wall, cure the oven, wrap blanket, fill void with vermiculite and proceed to the next level of the enclosure which I plan to use metal framing.

Leigh

Comment

Finally started the cure process. Working on the enclosure design to try isolating the entry arch from the enclosure. Found Superwool 8# cuft at $66 for a roll 1 inch thick, 2ft wide, 25 ft long. I'll put 3 layers on the dome. I think a combination of vermicrete and Hardibacker will form the entry arch area to prepare for the final manufactured stone veneer. I'm hopeful the cracks in the dome won't be too much of an issue, at least I'm not freaking out just yet.

Leigh

Comment

Leigh

I have a twin to that crack. I think the cracks will have a long, long life, even after we are gone.
                                Lee B.
                                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                                X