Pensacola Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pensacola Build

Next step after the cabinet area was the bars on either side. I hadn't filled the cells of the block walls where the bars go, so I formed the bars with rebar going all the way down the side walls. I had to glue the top 2 layers of block together with construction adhesive so they wouldn't move as the forms were being built. Each bar and wall took 8 bags of Maximizer. I also used Thompsons water seal (spray can), in the forms for release agent. All worked well.

Comment

Next the pergola. As we live in hurricane country, I had to get the pergola engineered for 140 mph winds. I gave a picture of the pergola I am copying to the engineer and he designed more or less the same thing. Starting with the 6x6 posts, twelve 10d (4 in) nails were driven into each post where they go into the pedestals. Leveled and filled with concrete. The stringers on the tops of the posts are (2) 2x8 nailed together. The way they were attached, I had to install one board at a time, then nail the sandwich together. That's the picture with the cargo strap trying to get them straight.
      I thought long and hard about what type of wood to use. I ended up with pressure treated pine mainly because of the area I live. That choice brings other problems such as not being able to paint for a month or two and warping & checking of the wood. Plus it's heavy as hell.

Comment

The pyramid ridge beams are also (2) 2x8 beams nailed together 16 foot long. Since I'm doing this by myself, a few gadgets had to be devised to be able to handle this part. The plate at the top which ties everything together is a 2 foot square 1/4 in thick aluminum plate bent to the proper degree with (24) 3 inch lag bolts into the rafters. I had to use an impact wrench to install the bolts. I think my house will blow away before this thing does.

Comment

After the pyramid ridges were up, the next part was all of the rafters. I'm not a construction guy, so the angles for these pieces were a challenge. I'm almost done with the fascia, so hopefully soon I'll install the 5/4 x 6 deck boards on the top. They will be spaced about 1 1/2 inches apart so the light and breeze can still come in. Then I'll be able to get started figuring out the chimney which will go through a section of the pergola.

Comment

That is a solid looking pergola. Well done putting that up all by yourself.
            Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Like Sharkey said, well done putting that up all by yourself. We know that there are only 2 kinds of people who criticise half finished work but I will risk it by saying that it is 'looking good so far'.
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks to Sharkey and Steve. I figured this project would be a long undertaking since I'm pretty much doing it without much help, but since no one is around when the work happens... I enjoy it though. I finished the pergola structure except for the side where the chimney will go. I set up a sort of jig where the chimney will start so I could get an idea of how the 8inch pipe will run. I'll have to get a 15 degree elbow and build the flue at the oven to make it all work. Also the next step will be to get all the metal studs to build the upper part of the enclosure. I'll be so glad when it's in the dry.

Leigh

Comment

I thought pressure treated wood was bug proof. When I started the pergola there were dozens of carpenter bees around no doubt lured by the smell of cut pine. I didn't worry about it until yesterday when I saw a bee had made a home. Took a hammer to the side of the board till he came out and filled the hole with putty. For those folks that have never had to deal with these guys, I threw a picture of one to show how perfectly round the holes are, almost like a 1/2 inch drill bit. Also threw in a couple of pics of my burn barrel in action.

Comment

We have the same problem with those bees here in Jax. I have filled 4 holes in my beams.

Comment

Hello Leigh

Looks great.
                      That is a big project you have going there. Was this all planned from the start or did it just grow as you went along?

I had been using Thompsons water sealer on my deck for years and it did not seem to help the deck much I then tried the Olympic waterproofing sealant. That is much better and seems to last several years before I have to reapply it.

There are traps for the carpenter bees. It is a block of wood with 4 holes bored into it 1/2" diameter which meet at a central shaft which drops the bees into a collection bottle. Plans on line or some garden centers sell them. Usually the small Mum and Pop type stores.

David

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I had this planned from the beginning. It took about a year of figuring things out including all of the excellent information on this site. I need to figure out the top enclosure with the chimney ducting, so I set up basic wood framing to get an idea of where things will go. I'll build the enclosure with 18ga metal studs because of the weight of the cement board and manufactured stone. If anyone sees a flaw in this plan, please let me know. I'm a little out of my comfort zone with this part. Thanks

Comment

Started to roof the pergola. I'm using 5/4 x 6 treated deck boards spaced 1 1/2 inches apart. Still dealing with weird angles at the pyramid rafters, 43 degree cut with a 15 degree bevel. Like everything, it's taking a lot longer to do than I originally thought. I'm using 2 1/2 inch coated deck screws to attach the boards. This setup will allow light in as well as good shade while hopefully letting a breeze blow through. I don't know if this is really a "pergola" but I can't figure another name for it.

Comment

Glad to see it's out of hibernation! Looks like you've been resting up because I see a lot of progress in a short amount of time.

Mine was in hibernation too - at least from a construction point of view. I've been using it but the outside wasn't finished. I finally broke down and hired someone to finish the rock and stucco -er, surface bonding cement (SBC).
                            I'm actually in Gulf Shores with the family for Spring Break -beautiful weather (for vacation and outdoor work)!

-jeff
                            Jeff
                            My 42-inch build

Comment

Hey Jeff - Hope you guys had a great time, you picked a nice weather week for vacation. Except for the very top, the pergola slats are done. Painting is going to be a nightmare. I have to wait a month or two for the wood to dry, then 100% acrylic primer and 100% acrylic top coat. I think I'll rent a paint sprayer from Home Depot and see how that goes.

Comment

Started the metal framing for the enclosure. I'm using 18ga metal studs because of the design, (hip pyramid) and the weight of cement board and manufactured stone on top. This heavy gauge steel is a little tough to work with. I'm mainly using a skill saw with a grinder blade. Still not used to figuring out all of the angles for the cuts, but I'm hacking away at it. After I get the pyramid structure completed and shored up, there will be a 2x3 foot chimney going up about 4 feet from the top of the pyramid. Enclosed will be a Selkirk double walled 8 in pipe which will go down to the oven transition. The transition will be built last because I want to get the lowest angle at that point.

Comment

Working...
                                X