X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaveW
    replied
    Re: Debating between Pompeii and Modular build

First I want to send out my prayers to everyone in Japan.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    It took me about a month to build our dome and flue transition but I enjoyed every minute of it.

At the same time I think I could build another one much more quickly. Have you seen the slideshow in this thread?....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ion-12854.html

If I wanted to go fast, I would not cut my floor bricks except at the entrance. I would set my soldier course and entryway on the floor, build the opening arches under foam forms, and hand set the first few chains. Then, taking a page from the above thread, I would fill it with sand and shape the dome. Except, I might cover the sand with wet newspaper to prevent the sand from wicking out moisture and sticking to the mortar. Next I would mortar in the bricks one at a time cutting as necassary but not worry about filling in the entire gaps between bricks. I am not sure of the mix used by Ferrara but after the dome was complete I would mix up a homebrew batch of refractory mortar with pourable grout instead of portland cement and pour it over the dome as in the slideshow.

I am thinking one day for the floor, soldier course, entryway arch supports, and pre halfing /thirding of some of the bricks. Another day for the entry arches and first few chains. And a third day for the sand and dome.

Of course this assumes nothing goes wrong.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveW; 03-11-2011, 07:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

If I ever move, I'll buy the kit. Building the Pompeii was great fun and very rewarding but it messed up my elbow and shoulder (all better now).

If you could put a monetary value on your time, buying the kit is probably cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Once you get the masonry shelf poured - how long does it take to build the pompeii?
    You can do it in three weeks if you get help from friends, or you can take five years like I did. This is an elastic number, particularly dependent upon the elaborateness of your enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Originally posted by ThermoJax View Post

If I could do it again, I would do modular. The intricate cuts were fun, but go modular and get cooking all that much sooner.

Good Luck
    Thanks for the reply Thermojax. How much time did it take to build it from brick? I'd be doing it a couple of hours per night - and on weekends. I'll have to dig out pics of my old oven - nice thing was the floor and dome were up in one day.

Cost is also a factor. I'd use the Casa2G 100 (40" oven) - which runs $2400 + $400 or so shipping + around $200 tax = $3000. Seems like the brick route would be less than $1000 . . .

Leave a comment:

• ThermoJax
    replied

Having just completed my pompeii in december, my vote is for the modular. I just spent time this last Saturday speaking with a pizza vendor who has a mobile wood fired pizza oven made by "the fire within", that apparently uses the forno bravo modular ovens. Anyway, the modular heats up quicker, with less logs. I think that might have to do with the thinner refractory skin, as opposed to a dome of 1/2 firebrick. I saw him about 3 pm , and he had a fire going all day, but only had about 2 logs. The infrared thermometer showed about 680 F on the floor and over 1000 F on the dome.

If I could do it again, I would do modular. The intricate cuts were fun, but go modular and get cooking all that much sooner.

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    started a topic Debating between Pompeii and Modular build

Debating between Pompeii and Modular build

So - I'm debating whether to dedicate the time to build the Pompeii - or to pick up a Casa modular oven to save time.

Around 3-4 years ago - I built a WFO . . . a modular oven from another supplier. We absolutely loved the oven - nothing like a 90 second pizza!

Anyway - we've moved. Built our home and I've spent quite a bit of time on home projects (epoxying garage floors, garage cabinets, outdoor seating walls, firepit, etc.) Prior to our move - I spent the better part of a year building our outdoor kitchen, fireplace, and WFO.

I'm building another WFO - but am thinking about getting the Casa so I don't need to spend my spring (three young kids that are active with sports, etc) working in the yard "again." I'd really like to build a pompeii - just to say I did it (and to save some $$) - but really would love the time saved by assembling the modular.

Any thoughts? Once you get the masonry shelf poured - how long does it take to build the pompeii? I'm an amateur mason - and likely wouldn't go through the trouble of making complex cuts (mortar is your friend!).

Oh the humanity . . .
Working...
X