Debating between Pompeii and Modular build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debating between Pompeii and Modular build

Go for it Cheesesteak, now all you have to do is read though all the threads to figure out how you want to build it. Make a good plan and don't be afraid to change it as you move forward.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by das View Post
      Well that decision was quick. Went to ask the same question and you had already asked. I think I am going to build a 36" Pompeii as that fits within general fire code, and I don't want issues down the road.

Now my question is whether to buy the kit with all the fancy insulation, or source locally.
      Where in CA are you??

The HC Muddox plant is right down the road from me (20 minutes away) - they make all the brick/clay flue stuff you'd need. I already hit them up for firebricks for my firepit - still have 70 or so left over.

And - you can just order the insulating board and blanket from FB - although it it looks like Fiberfrax is a good supplier too (might be the same stuff). I'd like to find it local to avoid shipping costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
        Where in CA are you??

The HC Muddox plant is right down the road from me (20 minutes away) - they make all the brick/clay flue stuff you'd need. I already hit them up for firebricks for my firepit - still have 70 or so left over.

And - you can just order the insulating board and blanket from FB - although it it looks like Fiberfrax is a good supplier too (might be the same stuff). I'd like to find it local to avoid shipping costs.
        I'm in SoCal, I called around to the local yards and it seems each one carries different brand brick, prices range from $1.15 for Pacific Clay, $1.48 for Mutual, and $3.75 for McNear bricks. Does anybody have experience with any of these manufacturers?

I would jump on the FB kit due to the large floor tiles and medium duty bricks, but the freight shipping kills it even in-state, which is now 3 times their original reduced rates. Regarding the board and blanket, from reading the old threads, the FB stuff is reportedly made in China. I put a call into a local industrial thermal solutions supplier RTI and they have a house (import) brand 24" ceramic blanket in 1" and 2" thickness, and 2'x4' ceramic board in many thickness's, both of which are roughly 1/2 the price of FB. They also carry Unifrax DuraBoard which is double the cost of import and DuraBlanket which is roughly 150% the price of the import. So it's either buy American for the same price and amount of insulation as the Pompeii kit, or move up to 4" all the way around for same money with the house brand import stuff.

Comment

Regarding bricks, I did some more Google searching and found a group of aggregated posts (Link) from a guy who run's a well known Rumford fireplace company and he said the that between Muddox, Pacific Clay, Mutual, etc. that Alsey bricks are the best. According to him the ASTM standards for Firebrick was reduced and Alsey is the only one who makes bricks that meet or beat the old standard. There regular bricks are Medium-Duty, they don't even make a light duty brick. I am going to try an find a distributor down here, before I settle on an alternative.

From looking on Alsey's site they private label firebricks, in searching a previous FB poster found them under the Robinson name. Does anybody know if Alsey makes the FB bricks??

Anyhow just thought I would share the info. Considering the time invested in building the thing might as well try and use the best material possible.

Comment

Originally posted by das View Post
            Regarding bricks, I did some more Google searching and found a group of aggregated posts (Link) from a guy who run's a well known Rumford fireplace company and he said the that between Muddox, Pacific Clay, Mutual, etc. that Alsey bricks are the best. According to him the ASTM standards for Firebrick was reduced and Alsey is the only one who makes bricks that meet or beat the old standard. There regular bricks are Medium-Duty, they don't even make a light duty brick. I am going to try an find a distributor down here, before I settle on an alternative.

From looking on Alsey's site they private label firebricks, in searching a previous FB poster found them under the Robinson name. Does anybody know if Alsey makes the FB bricks??

Anyhow just thought I would share the info. Considering the time invested in building the thing might as well try and use the best material possible.
            Note: FWIW, the medium and high duty bricks wear blades a lot faster, and cut slower, than light duty bricks, which is all you need. The significant difference between the low and medium duty bricks, in our application, is their ability to accomodate high temperatures -something unnecessary at the tempertures you will use in your oven. Money wasted.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
              Note: FWIW, the medium and high duty bricks wear blades a lot faster, and cut slower, than light duty bricks, which is all you need. The significant difference between the low and medium duty bricks, in our application, is their ability to accomodate high temperatures -something unnecessary at the tempertures you will use in your oven. Money wasted.
              From what I read, besides the higher thermal rating, the Alsey bricks are just in general better made, more of a true refractory brick rather than a 2000deg fire rated brick. Supposedly they have less issues with spalling, reduced thermal expansion, better re-radiation, and the overall best longevity. I saw mention of people paying ~$1.60 for Alsey bricks, which isn't much more than the other light-duty bricks around here. To me paying $80 more for better bricks is worth it, especially if it means possibly better longevity and lower risk of cracking from the heat cycling, not to mention it's still much less than the shipping cost for FB brick.

I stopped by a yard today and they carried Pacific Clay, Muddox and Superior/McNear firebricks and there was a visible difference between the 3 brands. The PC brick is very porous and pinkish with some consistency issues, the Muddox was tan and the least porous. While the Superior was in-between and had the best consistency, but is way more expensive. However it does come in 5 or 6 colors which you could use to spice up the entry arch and front hearth, and/or to match other brick/stone/stucco you may use for the support/enclosure.
              Last edited by das; 04-02-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X