X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evets
    replied
    Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

Good work John! I'm glad your crack repair worked for you.

Leave a comment:

• PizzaIdiot
    replied

John,
    If you figure in the thousands to pizzas over the next ten years, you'll have saved thousands of dollars.
    So you can laugh at all the money you are saving by eating the best pizzas with family and friends.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

The oven insulation so far has been fantastic! The next day temps were 585 F and this morning I am still at 370 F
    John, these numbers are pure testamony of the value of proper insulation. Congrats on a great job! You'll be enjoying this oven (and so will Annie and Nikki) for some time to come!
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by pizza_bob View Post
    Congratulations John! The oven and pizza look great! How did that first pizza taste?!?!?
    It tasted great! But price per slice is very high! Cost of oven divided by 6 pizzas which gave 36 slices! Hmmmmmmmmmmm! lol
    The oven insulation so far has been fantastic! The next day temps were 585 F and this morning I am still at 370 F We did bread and chicken yesterday, pics to follow. Today some pork chops and pears! Neighbor is coming over to put in some cookies for our dessert! I can understand why people take a long time to finish the outside of the oven.

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

Congratulations John! The oven and pizza look great! How did that first pizza taste?!?!?

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Here is the first Pizza attempt! Made the dough the night before and I am hoping for the best! I have the national food critiques present (our neighbors) so the pressure was on!
    Here are the neighbors doing their own Pizza's! And a new up coming Pizzaiolo is placing the pie in the hot oven!
    Volia! First Pizza! Traditional Magrertia cheese,tomato sauce, basil. I was totally surprised with the results! It isn't the best pizza ever made but it was my best pie!
    Dough was a little tough to strecth, but other than that the night was a huge success! Thanks to all that made this possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Happy Dance is in Order! First big fire and no more cracks! Yahoo! Many thanks to all of those who not only took the time to read my posts, but also guide me in the correct direction. Without this site I know this would not have gotten completed successfully! THANKS! After my last curing fires I placed a load of logs into the oven while it was still around 200 F They dried out nicely and provided a relativly smoke free HOT fire Quickly! The oven got to Pizza temp in 90 minutes. Floor was 900 F dome was 610 F The oven wasn't totally heat soaked yet but with the coals and Pizza cooking it wound up totally soaked within 3 hours. Now onto Pizza!
    ps I did put in some unistrut around the arch and chimney area for arch buttressing. There is foamglas between the unistrut and angle Iron helping to support the chimney. I wanted to take some of the load off the arches/vent bricks.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Read the book American Pie, it's a great book and has many different pizza recipes.

Mike
    I actually just happened to purchase it two nights ago and am awaiting arrival!
    Good to get this recommendation!
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    Tscarborough posted a video that I found very helpful...it includes a simple recipe...

Drunken Dough - YouTube
    Great video! VERY Helpful! Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

Read the book American Pie, it's a great book and has many different pizza recipes.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Tscarborough posted a video that I found very helpful...it includes a simple recipe...

Drunken Dough - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

I am getting the steel trusses built for the roof and making bread dough at the same time... hope I don't use the angle grinder to mix the dough! I will try my first pizza and bread bake this weekend, I have been reading many many many posts on pizza dough and I am still confused. lol Any helpful hints on making a basic crust for a traditional first Margarita pie!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Ok back to oven building! Last of the curing fires are done and the crack has not opened up! Thanks Al and everyone who gave me the guidance to make a satisfactory repair!
    I will insulate now with kaowool, insufrax, and another brand I can't remember at this time. I have been obtaining boxes of the blanket material for almost two years and have a considerable amount. I am hoping for 4" wrap around the lower half and then 6" arcoss the dome. Then it is onto steel work, btw has anyone put in a closet in the back of the oven for storage? If so what did you do for a header beam over the doors? I have about 14" of space behind the oven and I would like to use it for storage. Any suggestions???
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Thanks Brian for the compliments, I'll make sure to tell my wife. She is the finish designer for sure.
    Again Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

John,

Your work so far is really looking good! I like the way you have placed the bricks, it gives a very nice flow to the project.

I still haven't decided on what I will finish with.

Keep up the great work,
    Brian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X