• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PizzaIdiot
    replied
    Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

You oven is looking great!

I was wondering how long you can wait before cleaning the mortar on the inside of the dome before it gets too hard to clean?
    Once it's dry/cured, what does one use to clean the inside?

Thanks and keep the pictures coming,
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Well after much self debate I opted to stay with the refractory flue. I am hoping to test the flue with curing fires and then some pizza parties, before I build the chimney around it. If it survives several hot fires, I am hoping it will last as long as the oven lasts. I know the oven would outlast the duravent, but maybe not the clay flue. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
    John
    Added these pics... I have been looking for pics of chimney base. I did see the GREAT build of dmun and that gorgeous hip roof and dual flue. Wow is all I have to say! What an oven and a half!
    Last edited by Aegis; 07-30-2011, 08:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Evets
    replied

Before I switched to the Duravent chimney, I had two 2' sections of clay pipe. It didn't take long before both sections cracked down the middle, lengthwise, separated from each other and also from the vent. And that was using Heatstop 50 mortar. From where you are now, I'd seriously consider the Duravent or a similar system. On the other hand, if you use clay and enclose it properly in a brick chase with an airspace around it, it would likely be fine. Personally, I just didn't want to deal with all the extra brickwork. On the other other hand, the extra brickwork can be a beautiful thing, if you plan for it. Pardon my rambling.
    Last edited by Evets; 07-30-2011, 06:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

I mortared mine. That's how fireplaces are built, with the flue tiles joined with heatstop. It's mostly to prevent flue gas leakage. I wouldn't be surprised by a hairline crack there.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Well I have been working on the vent/flue and so far so good. I have a question on the clay flue liner I am using. Do I mortar it to the base firebricks? I have read not to have bricks from the chimney touch the flue (except for a few small points of mortar). I do not know the expansion differences between firebrick and clay flue. The flue is 8*8" and I have copied the split it on an angle and make a funnel technique that I have seen on several beautiful ovens. Mortar or not to mortar the flue to the base????

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Latest up date.... Working on the outer arch I mistakenly put two bricks upside down! OMG what was I thinking??????????????????
    I tore the arch down and started over. Here are a couple of pics of the arch, it is still not finished! Glad I worked on the cement block veneer, no telling what else I would have messed up! Look at the last pic --- no cement!
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    At the low end of the compressive strength cart it says 80 psi.
    Assuming each brick weighs 4lb then you can load 20 bricks per square inch.

Ill say its fine then.

If it were me Id make a sample and do just that, load as many bricks on a small sample and see when it gives.
    A sample and a test with materials I have right at hand! Too practical and it uses too much common sense! I hate to do it for those reasons but I have no choice! lol Thanks for the great advice! I'll post a pic before and after failure!
    Thanks Al
    John

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

At the low end of the compressive strength cart it says 80 psi.
    Assuming each brick weighs 4lb then you can load 20 bricks per square inch.

Ill say its fine then.

If it were me Id make a sample and do just that, load as many bricks on a small sample and see when it gives.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Never seen foamglass, do you have a link for the specs sheet, it should say on there the compressive strength.

What about direct contact to flame, being glass I suspect it would fail.
    Brickie,
    I have the entire oven built on the foamglas base. But that is short and squat, rather than a small footprint and tall. The flue would keep direct flame away from the foamglas. Here is the compessive spec sheet.
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Never seen foamglass, do you have a link for the specs sheet, it should say on there the compressive strength.

What about direct contact to flame, being glass I suspect it would fail.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Hi All,
    I am sure everyone is getting tired of my constant questions, but here is another one. (hoping someone will respond )
    It concerns the chimney, I will be using a clay flue 8*8 a clay vent 13*13 at bottom and 8*8 top for the flue sections. I think I have a handle on that part so far. I will be setting that on top of the firebricks that span the inner/outer arches. Then I will be building a brick chimney around the flue on top of the fire bricks. That is where I have some mental issues. I don't know high high up I should go with the firebrick before I start with decorative bricks? I have seen Brickie put in insulated bricks for a thermal break, which the only way I could come by those were through mail order (heavy shipping costs) Could I use foamglas for a thermal break and build the brick chimney on top of that foamglas base. So it would be the last layer of firebrick, layer of foamglas and then clay bricks on up. Am I way off base? I would worry that the foamglas may compress on one side and instead of a chimney, I would have the leaning tower of Pisa!!!! OMG! Help!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

A quick pic.

The steps will be every course, some on top, some underneath.
    Thanks for the illustration, a picture is worth a thousand words. The face on the cement block is priceless!
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by pizza_bob View Post
    John,

Nice work on the dome! You moved much quicker than I did! Keep it going - you can have pizza for Labor Day! I have some left over ceramic blanket. Are you interested? Can't beat the price - free!

Regards,
    Bob
    Hi Bob,
    I don't know how nice the work on the dome is, it pales compared to yours. My stomach hopes you are correct on the pizza for labor day! How did you have left over blanket? At any rate I would love more blanket for the dome. (I say that on a day that approached 95 degrees - lol) It sounds like you cannot over insulate. I'll trade you a bottle of Chianti for the blanket, how does that sound?
    How has your oven been cooking? Your patio came out fantastic!
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

A quick pic.

The steps will be every course, some on top, some underneath.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

The wall is on three different planes so unless you want steps every other course it cant be done.
    Thanks Al,
    I REALLY appreciate letting me know it can't be done! It was driving me a little crazy, more so than I already am. Any help on the chimney transition? ok so I'm pushing my luck!
    Again THANKS
    JOhn

Leave a comment:

Working...
X