• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pizza_bob
    replied
    Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

John,

Nice work on the dome! You moved much quicker than I did! Keep it going - you can have pizza for Labor Day! I have some left over ceramic blanket. Are you interested? Can't beat the price - free!

Regards,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    how do I stagger the joints??? Are there any other options?
    The wall is on three different planes so unless you want steps every other course it cant be done.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 07-21-2011, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Hello All Masons!
    Here is a pic of my "stretcher" block across the angle. If this is the way to go, how do I stagger the joints??? Are there any other options?
    Here is a pic of the vent transition piece. At what point do I stop with the fire bricks and continue with a brick chimney?
    I know these must have been answered before, so I apologize for the repeat questions.

Thanks for everyone's help!

John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Cleaner dome without the faux crack! Happy Dancing!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Here are a couple of pics of the closed dome. After looking at some of the inside pics I thought I saw a crack in a brick! Upon re-entering the inside of the dome (no small feat for a guy my size!) I cleaned the crack away! Whew! Just some mortar dripping down! The keystone did not fit all the way down to the bottom, but was a super tight fit and all the bricks in the ring around it got super tight!
    Now the vent/chimney area and the facade, which I have a question to all those pros out there about brick work. On the left side I have a counter coming off at a 45 degree angle. I am facing the cement blocks with pavers, I know this is probably foolish in and of itself for many reasons. But, my question is how to face off the 45 degree corner and not have a straight line going up the corner. I thought about using (what I call a stretcher block) across the angle. But any help is WELCOME on this topic!
    Thanks
    John
    Last edited by Aegis; 07-21-2011, 02:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

Nice job. That is the best feeling, to finally close that thing up. Bring on the pictures.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Dome is now closed up! YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post pics as soon as I can stop sweating long enough to handle the camera without breaking it.

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Yeah - deadlines are for amateurs . . .

You'll get there - and enjoy many, many years of cooking in the oven. I had neighbors stop by today to see how my oven was coming and they were green with envy.

It look great - a bit more work to close the dome, let it sit a bit and get a small fire going.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Happy 4th of July to everyone!

I am on the last couple of antibiotics and can't drink to celebrate, but I did get another two chains done since I am feeling better! I can smell the pizza already!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am VERY disappointed in not making the July 2nd self imposed deadline. But some things are out of my control, weather, flu, sinus infections and total lack of masonry skills all contributed to the missed deadline. Enough about what could have been, I see the hole in the dome slowly closing and thats' GOOD!
    Here are a couple of pics, enjoy the holiday all!
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    Heatstop is a just-add-water product. I wouldn't mess around with trying to put in additives.

If you want to use the homebrew, use it. It's cheap and easy.
    Thanks for the scoop on not messing with the heatstop. I have picked up a bag of lime to go with the portland,sand and fireclay I have haging around and will mix a small batch and test it on a couple of pieces of cut up firebrick.
    Thanks again!
    With the completed eight chain, it is getting stepper Thanks to everyone that have me keeping an eye on the dome height, an eye on the vertical joints and an eye on the level (no front droop) Oh I think I ran out of eyes Well, I do appreciate being kept on the correct path for the build!
    Thanks All!

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

I am using Heatstop 50 and so far so good. I am wondering if adding some fireclay to the heatstop 50 would work the same as in the homebrew?
    Heatstop is a just-add-water product. I wouldn't mess around with trying to put in additives.

If you want to use the homebrew, use it. It's cheap and easy.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by EricU View Post
    Using "the tool" and a little patience you will have no problem with the last rows. I used my own fire clay mix and just added a bit more clay to keep it sticky. I found the smaller rings went fast. cutting the top keystone took me a while, but you are cruising right along and will be cooking soon!

Those drying fires make good chicken, beef, lamb...etc, etc!

It's home sailing for you now! Nice!

Eric.
    Hi Eric, It sounds like the home mix worked well for you. I am using Heatstop 50 and so far so good. I am wondering if adding some fireclay to the heatstop 50 would work the same as in the homebrew?
    Thanks for the info!
    John

Leave a comment:

• EricU
    replied

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    ...and putting off the impossible till the last two courses! I hope I get that the mix right for the sticky gluey stuff! I am getting close using heatstop 50.
    Using "the tool" and a little patience you will have no problem with the last rows. I used my own fire clay mix and just added a bit more clay to keep it sticky. I found the smaller rings went fast. cutting the top keystone took me a while, but you are cruising right along and will be cooking soon!

Those drying fires make good chicken, beef, lamb...etc, etc!

It's home sailing for you now! Nice!

Eric.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
    John -

The oven looks great so far. I found that the work didn't get any more "difficult' until you get to the last two courses - when the dome closes in on itself. If you mix the mortar just right - it acts like glue and holds the bricks in place quite well.

Great job.
    Thanks for the encouragement and putting off the impossible till the last two courses! I hope I get that the mix right for the sticky gluey stuff! I am getting close using heatstop 50.
    I finished the eight course today in dismal weather, which I think is helping the mortar cure quite nicely.
    Back to my day job tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

John -

The oven looks great so far. I found that the work didn't get any more "difficult' until you get to the last two courses - when the dome closes in on itself. If you mix the mortar just right - it acts like glue and holds the bricks in place quite well.

Great job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X