Cracks!! Are yours this bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks!! Are yours this bad??

So I read a bunch of threads on cracks and everyone says its okay and that it still cooks great. But in the limited pictures that I see they are always small and usually in the arch. I just finished curing and have hit 900 degrees after 9 days
    I have one that is small but goes from one side of the arch to the other side of the arch all the way around in row 5 horizontally.--Im not to worried about that one.
    I have a large one that goes from the 2nd row vertically to the keystone and half way around the keystone. I can see the fire inside through this one. -- This one worries me.
    Im not worried about it falling apart or caving in but I am worried that for some reason the homebrew mortar wasnt right or anything else that you guys might bring up. I just need reassurance that this is indeed common or at least it wont be a problem
    all the cracks get bigger as it heats up.
    I have a few other small ones throughout.
    I did 1/8 mortar joints throughout. Let me know what you think

Re: Cracks!! Are yours this bad??

The fact that the cracks are going 2-3 bricks up in a straight line implies you you didn't alternate the bond. Ideally, the end of a joint ends in the middle of the adjoining brick - that is the strongest scenario. I don't think it is caused by using the home brew. I use the same, and I am very pleased with the results. With that said, I have seen far worse cracks - up to 5/8 of an inch. I suggest you wrap it with a blanket and call it good. As you mentioned, it will not fall apart or cave in. It will serve the purpose - enjoy the food.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

should you put a layer of mortar on top of it when it is cold? What about some type of bonding cement layer?

- just trying to brain storm.

Mike

Comment

In the first pic where your finger is it looks like a brick has cracked.
        If this is right Id make a guess that you have foundation failure, could be you concrete slab has failed?
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yah i staggered the bricks there are 2 on that crack that are within 1/2 inch of each other. I am going to use 3 layers of blankets on it.

Where my finger is only the small corner of it cracked. the foundation hasn't moved and the first 2 rows dont have cracks in them

Comment

Originally posted by breakn View Post

Where my finger is only the small corner of it cracked. the foundation hasn't moved and the first 2 rows dont have cracks in them
            The higher up you go the more pronounced it will become.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

where my finger is is the worst gap the crack gets smaller as it goes up from there.

Comment

I think the key word, that Brickie used was (become), not (is).

Comment

I like the crack thread - I'm still curing and have some hairlines outside on the mortar, nothing visible inside (but it is coverered with soot because I haven't got that hot yet).

I like the thread because I've really had to dig for detailed crack talk. sorry I don't have any specific advice - but I appreciate you starting the thread.

Comment

what was the ratio you used for the home brew mortar?

Comment

1:1:3:1-lime, fireclay, portland, 3 parts sand

Comment

Soak the crack area, patch up with very wet mortar, and carry on.

Comment

This baby goes up one side and down the other. It happened after I insulated the oven so I left it alone. The smoking gun in my case is is the off bond brick pattern.
                          Dave
                          Last edited by DaveW; 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM.
                          Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

What about putting a layer of Wellbond (construction adhesive) over the whole thing like peterlyn did in the Pompeii in Nanoose Bay build (post #9) .http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...bay-14633.html

I know nothing about this at all, I just saw it in the thread and was thinking about it.

Mike

Comment

If you patch it from the outside (or inside) it'll likely just crack again during the next heating/cooling cycle. What you have there is a naturally occurring expansion joint

Insulate and start making pizza! You are good to go.
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
                              X