Cracks!! Are yours this bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cracks!! Are yours this bad??

Thanks for all the replies. I covered yesterday and didn't try to fill, Like ken said its just going to crack again. Now on to enclosure, and figure out how to make pizza dough.

Comment

Aren't you suppose to coat the whole ouside of the Oven with Insulating concrete, then Fire Blanket it,and then Insulating concrete over the Blanket, then stucco(if wanted).

Comment

Originally posted by Dooleyhart@msn.com View Post
        Aren't you suppose to coat the whole ouside of the Oven with Insulating concrete, then Fire Blanket it,and then Insulating concrete over the Blanket, then stucco(if wanted).
        That's not required. In fact, I don't recall anyone doing it that way. Too much insulation is never a bad thing.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Mike D - Not sure of any benefit to using Weldbond in this application. Can be used as a bonding/sealing agent on porous concrete or as an additive in concrete. The problem I see is that PVA glues are not very heat resistant. Not sure of what perterlyn's intentions were - bonding or sealing. It would probably help in the bonding of old masonry to new but would probably lose any sealing properties the first time the oven was brought up to temp. Seems like an unnecessary step in this application with little or no benefit, much like the old aluminum foil "slip plane" idea. Of course, I have no experience with using Weldbond in a masonry application, so I may be totally wrong. I've always thought of Weldbond as a craft glue (expensive Elmers).

RT

Comment

I have a similar crack (though not that wide) in the inside of my pompeii 36". I didn't see it until after a few high firings after curing. I freaked out at first, then realized nothing else was happening. Movement must occur with expansion, so don't worry too much about it. There is a good aluminum fireplace mortar on the market for "touch-ups" that comes in a tube and I have used it to heal some crackes in my arch. It may not do much, except give you peace of mind. So far, nothing has collapsed and I am convinced a year later that this dome will outlast me.

Cook away!!

Tom

Comment

RTflorida-

I don't really know what that stuff was. I just remember reading it and saying, what is that stuff and why are they using it. Thanks for jumping in, I was just trying to help.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X