Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dome on top of floor - mortar dome to floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome on top of floor - mortar dome to floor?

So I've decided to build my dome on top of my floor - and I'm going to start laying the first course soon. The floor sits on top of a 50/50 mix of sand/fireclay - essentially floating.

When I build the dome - should I mortar the first course to the floor? If so, why? If not, why not?

My thoughts are - yes, mortar the dome to the floor. I don't think I'll ever need to remove any floor bricks that are that close to the walls of the oven - and my thought it to add some stability by mortaring where they meet.

Any thoughts / advice?

Thanks

Re: Dome on top of floor - mortar dome to floor?

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
    When I build the dome - should I mortar the first course to the floor? If so, why? If not, why not?
    I used very thin refractory glue in my latest oven, I should have made sure the first joint on top of the hearth was very full because the peel finds the crack and can stick in it..
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

"The floor sits on top of a 50/50 mix of sand/fireclay "

That is in turn on top of an insulating layer, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
        "The floor sits on top of a 50/50 mix of sand/fireclay "

That is in turn on top of an insulating layer, I hope.
        Yes, absolutely. There's a 4" concrete slab, 2" FB ceramic boards, and then a layer of fireclay/sand to have something to set / level the floor.

I'm going to mortar the joint between them - thanks for pointing out the potential pitfalls brickie . . . the last thing I want to do is try to wrestle a peel out of the oven.

Comment

Working...
        X