Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gt40's Pompeii Oven 42" build log

Hi gt40,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that trying to remove that form for the arch is going to be a little b***h... I see that your form is a one piece styrofoam/FB board? You're going to have to cut that baby in half in order to remove it. A few people here usually set up a half form with the top round half supported by bricks or 2x4s below, so it's easy to remove once the arch sets. Just a heads up for your next arch.

Awesome build so far! Congrats!

aceves

Comment

Originally posted by aceves View Post
      Hi gt40,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that trying to remove that form for the arch is going to be a little b***h... I see that your form is a one piece styrofoam/FB board? You're going to have to cut that baby in half in order to remove it. A few people here usually set up a half form with the top round half supported by bricks or 2x4s below, so it's easy to remove once the arch sets. Just a heads up for your next arch.

Awesome build so far! Congrats!

aceves
      I thought I would throw a bit of acetone on it and it will melt like the wicked witch in Wizard of Oz
      49" Recirculating LOW DOME Pompei build with welded stand:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...log-15903.html

Comment

Reinforcing your stand: Good move!

Your build looks good, and much cleaner than most!

I was glad to see you take the advice to reinforce your stand. Are you confident the stand and oven will take the 'big one'?

I mean earthquakes, since you are sitting over one of the most active group of faults in the world.

P.S. You might do a search on 'banding', 'band' or something like that. I've read where some, on fornobravo.com, expect the band to lose its temper at 600 F and no longer support the soldier course.
        Last edited by Lburou; 06-06-2011, 08:29 AM.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Reinforcing your stand: Good move!

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
          Your build looks good, and much cleaner than most!

I was glad to see you take the advice to reinforce your stand. Are you confident the stand and oven will take the 'big one'?

I mean earthquakes, since you are sitting over one of the most active group of faults in the world.

P.S. You might do a search on 'banding', 'band' or something like that. I've read where some, on fornobravo.com, expect the band to lose its temper at 600 F and no longer support the soldier course.
          Thanks for the feedback. I think the current reinforced stand has a better chance of surviving a quake than blocks would. It is really strong at this point. As far as the dome, I hate to even think about it.

With regards to the banding, you raise a valid point. After thinking about it, I was thinking in terms of taking a 2" wide 1/8" thick steel bar and bending it around the circumference of the oven. Alternatively, I could use steel strapping like 321 stainless which is very heat resistant.

Thanks again for the feed back - I am learning as I go. Case in point was covering the angle course with some mortar that I now have to grind off.

Comment

Update:

I found loose brick on the left side and had to redo the arch. I also cleaned the mortar off all the angled setting course. Then I made the second arch. Now both the inner and outer arch are built and curing. Everything looks straight on the arches themselves but the left brick that the arch supports needed to be put in with a bit more mortar so things could end up symmetrical on the arches. As a result, my oven opening has acquired a bit of "character".

I will post pics later

Comment

Update:

redid the oven opening and managed to lay another course. Finally it is starting to look like something. Pics:

Comment

With the size of the flue at the bottom that baby will suck the toppings right off the pizza.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

update:

did another couple of rows and almost past the arch hope to finish the transition between the dome and arch tomorrow. I can't wait till it goes up a bit and the number of bricks decreases a bit. over 16 bricks per row on the early ones. I found I was starting to get wavy so I made an adjustable indespensible tool:

Here are a few more pics:

Last edited by gt40; 06-18-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

gt40, your build looks brilliant. You should be proud of your progress to date, I'll be keeping a close eye on how you tie your arch into your dome (I'm not quite there yet, but that seems to be the tricky part of this whole project).

That's a different take on the indispensable tool, do you have to adjust it for each new row? I have been thinking it would be handy to have an indispensable tool to build a neapolitan style dome.
                    The Melbourne Fire Brick Company

Comment

Originally posted by benguilford View Post
                      gt40, your build looks brilliant. You should be proud of your progress to date, I'll be keeping a close eye on how you tie your arch into your dome (I'm not quite there yet, but that seems to be the tricky part of this whole project).

That's a different take on the indispensable tool, do you have to adjust it for each new row? I have been thinking it would be handy to have an indispensable tool to build a neapolitan style dome.
                      Thanks for the comments. I am learning as I go and all the awesome threads and comments on the site have helped me learn and avoid problems.

In answer to your question, yes, you have to adjust each time the angle changes on the low dome.

Basically I made a profile form of the dome shape with foam board to use as a basis for setting the angle on each course of bricks. When starting a new course, I found I could clamp the brick to the indespensible tool, adjust the height and offset till the brick matches the dome profile on the foam board and then I just tighten the c clamps to lock the angle on the tool and start laying the course. The tool is just a hinge with a piece angle iron on each end and some scraps of square tube so you can clamp the square tube in the angle to set height or offset.

As far as the transition, I am going to see if my calcs will work out on the angles. Hopefully I make a support course where the arch is and then I will be able to continue the course above it as a perfect circle.
                      Last edited by gt40; 06-19-2011, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Update:

After reading the posts about bracing low dome ovens and living in earthquake country in southern california, I finished my oven bracing system. I also got my transition under control although I will need to grind a few bricks in the center to keep the lines going properly.

Here are some pics:

welded chain support anchored into the foundation:

back shot of the chains

Transition:

Comment

That is awesome! really impressive setup!..

Pretty sure that will be meteorite proof!

Comment

Wont the chain go slack once its been soaking in heat for a couple of hours?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I think the expansion of the chain should be about the same as the expansion of the bricks. It is the same for steel in reinforced concrete anyway. For kilns the steel bracing is usually on the outside and they are cooler than the inner kiln bricks, which means they hold the bricks in really tight. With your chain being in the insulated area it should be nearer the same temp as the bricks so I would expect it to work well.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

But once steel expands and the temper is lost I thought it stays expanded?
                                Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-20-2011, 02:10 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X