Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Hi would agree with Russell it's worth the effort, Bert. Nice work thus far.

    Did you say you wet the insulation bricks under the hearth?

    Leave a comment:


  • UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Bert,

    Nice tight joints first three courses. If you have not mortared in your arch yet, considered a tapered inner arch, it will really make tie-in to the dome much easier.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bert
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Silver back!

    Now I have to figure out how to cut the rest of the door arch for the transition...I expect I will need to seek guidance off the WFO brains trust.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bert
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    I was like a brick laying Ninja this weekend past...I found my zone and smashed it out of the park...

    Its all in the preparation as my dear Dad used to say.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bert
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    More shots...

    Leave a comment:


  • Bert
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Hi WFO members,

    OK, finally some movement at the station?

    Pleeeease let this thing have a fire in it by the end of Winter.

    My middle son wanted a pizza for his birthday on 3/6/2014, but alas work and life has gotten in the way!

    See attached some pics of the first couple of courses.

    I am pleased in general how it has turned out, I have tried to keep the lines as tight as I can and have been cleaning the brick as I go to avoid getting my tummy stuck later on.

    I ended up buying refractory mortar at $46 a bag for 25 kilos?OUCH! Apart from the cost it is good to work with. I cannot believe how porous the bricks are.

    The insulation brick were an absolute nightmare to work with and I ended up pretty much soaking the things in water in order to get the floor tiles levelled.

    Leave a comment:


  • brung99
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Beautiful setting!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Bert
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Picture of the prepared hearth and oven measurements


    [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	613.2 KB
ID:	303450[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Bert
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Hi Folks

    I finally was able to afford buying the Insulation and Hearth bricks, but alas they didnt have enough stock so I've had to order some more of both. Blo+dy hell these things are expensive in comparison to the US.

    Anyway its 3 years of information overload and I have got myself into a right state (second guessing the measurements etc) so I thought I'd seek the guidance of the forum.

    I have a 1100 internal diameter oven.

    Queries

    * I was planning a 19 * 13 opening or ~500 * 330 opening. But I am confused about how wide/ high the Flue opening should be? 2 inch or 50mm wider than the internal arch?

    * I plan on using a 230mm long FB brick for the transition or oven arch. Based on my calculations half will form the oven and half will be out allowing for the door recess (see mark up)?

    * I estimate that I will have ~n 80mm or 3 inches of space before I hit the front of the oven. SI'm thinking of making it flush with the front but SWMBO wants it offset. The reason I don't want it offset is beacause I have ample room on the sides and I am concerned about not having the entrance too deep.

    Any advice forthcoming would be greatly received.

    Many thanks

    Al

    Leave a comment:


  • oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Hey Bert

    You previously mentioned putting photos into posts. My two bobs worth is it makes it very hard to follow a build, when thumbnails, you can see what you need to see and look at whichever you want to view by selecting, switching between text and viewing. I'm personally hoping you stick with the thumbnails as a viewer.

    Looking forward too following your build btw beautiful setting for a WFO.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-31-2013, 02:48 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bert
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280153.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	296367

    Hearth formed up

    Leave a comment:


  • Bert
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7300184.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	296366

    Pic of oversite site

    Leave a comment:


  • Bert
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Colin, yep hopefully she lets me help with the oven

    Thanks Loren!

    Leave a comment:


  • the_dr_masuess
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Hey Bert Sounds like you have been busy moving a lot of dirt the past years. Good luck with the build. Keep up with the pictures

    Leave a comment:


  • oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

    Originally posted by Bert View Post
    Hello Folks,

    The Mrs. laid the slab and I was the labourer. I am lucky she is a supporter of the project.


    Bert
    Cool I like that

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X