X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cholme
    replied
    Re: 32" Oven in Sherman Oaks

I know it is a stretch. Here it is. Cave Canem is a mosaic that is at the entrance to one of the homes in Pompeii. My wife and I loved visiting Pompeii and when I landed on the Pompeii Oven style as the oven I would build, my wife suggested the name. I said it was a stretch, but there you go.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

"Beware the dog", roasting in the oven? My guess.

Leave a comment:

• aceves
    replied

Hi cholme,

Cool build you have there! I definitely agree with you, better to have one in a tight spot than none at all!

And I like how you integrated your oven's name into the stucco, nice touch!

Why "beware the dog"?

aceves

Leave a comment:

• cholme
    replied

Yes, it is a bit unfortunate. That was the only place in our yard that made sense. I live in the San Fernando Valley on about 7000 sq ft of land, so space is a huge issue. It isn't the perfect or ideal design but it 100% better than the pizza oven I had before... which was none.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

How come you tucked it away in a corner like that?

Leave a comment:

• cholme
    replied

FINALLY!!! I have gotten my oven 99% finished. I got super busy and couldn't work on it, but I was able to find a few night here and there to get it finished. I still want to add a light, but that is about it.

My stucco work is not the best, there are a million little cracks but it could be worse.

My wife and I made a pact not to use it until it was totally finished. We are planning on having some pizza tonight.
    Last edited by cholme; 10-29-2011, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by cholme View Post
    it is better than nothing at all.
    Thanks for the kind remark.
    Having an oven like you say is better than not having one, once youve been there, there is no turning back.

Leave a comment:

• cholme
    replied

Al,

Thanks for your kind remark.

It's not so much that I don't have the room, but this was the only place it made sense. Anywhere else and it would have felt like it didn't belong. It certainly isn't the absolute, ultimate oven, but it is better than nothing at all.

Perhaps after a few years, we will re-model the yard and plan a larger oven.

Your build looks amazing!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Nice oven.

Your yard must be kind of tight for space I take it from the positioning of the oven?

Leave a comment:

• cholme
    replied

Clean a little more of my dome. I used a stiff wire brush to get some of the mortar film off. I will probably leave well enough alone at this point. I don't want to get into the muratic acid stuff. I am pretty please with the outcome.

Can't wait til I can fire her up.

Leave a comment:

• cholme
    replied

Finally, I finished the dome. It wasn't easy, but I have to say it was totally rewarding and not quite as difficult as I thought it would be. I last few chains were challenging to get the correct angles for the bricks. I used the "indespensible tool" for the first 6 chains, but then they got too vertical. I wound up using a styrofoam form for the last ones. The problem with using the forms is you can't clean the inside of the dome as easily.

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Excellent work so far, really making some fast progress,
    And as far as weather goes, i will trade you any day. Has been too cold/wet here to do anything!

Leave a comment:

• cholme
    replied

Yes... strangely I actually tried to stagger them. For some reason the way I cut the bricks made them align almost perfectly at the back side. The next few courses were ok though.

Leave a comment:

• NYC
    replied

Try staggering the brick joints from one row to the next. See how the last photo you have many mortar joints lining up. It will be stronger and less prone to cracks.

Leave a comment:

• cholme
    replied

I am getting there... Right now the biggest challenge is that here in the San Fernando Valley is has been about 100deg. I have had a moving blanket covering the dome and I got a cheap mister from Orchard Supply Hardware to keep it moist.

I have about 4 more chains to go.

I used a different technique for the opening, you can see it at:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...tml#post116534

Best,

Chris
    Sherman Oaks, CA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X