Question about gaps in mortar joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about gaps in mortar joints

Here's the finished product on the arch. What do you guys think? I know the mortar joints are wider than you probably prefer but it's standing and seems pretty strong...

Comment

Your arch looks great. Don't obsess about perfect fit bricks.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Santino,
        this arch is into your oven and 90% of the brick that you see in the photos will be covered with your chimney void and entrance bricks.
        Cutting the bricks that will be plainly visible of the front of your Pompeii can be cut accurately and you will probably need 1 or 2 more bricks to complete the arch when compared to the one in your photos.
        Here's the finished product on the arch. What do you guys think?
        This is fine, your next one will be better and you will be much more contented with the outcome. Anyway, it is only cosmetic and doesn't affect the oven's performance at all.

Cheers.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Looks good. It doesn't need to be perfect. You want the best fit possible, but it desn't have to interlock like puzzle pieces.

Comment

Thanks guys for the reassurance. Even though I am totally new to this, I am a perfectionist, so I want things to look aesthetically as good as possible. But the real reason I am asking for feedback is because I just want to make sure that structurally, everything looks strong. I am a foodie at heart so I am more concerned that my oven will work and be here for the long haul, not that it looks perfect, although that is what I'm striving for. I don't have any experience building anything and I have no one here to help me so you guys are my best resource, and I thank you very much for all your advice. Hopefully you won't mind if I ask several more questions throughout. I am definitely intimidated by the vent/chimney area and once I get there I know I will have a lot of questions.

Comment

your decisions will be made on how you build your vent transition from the oven opening to the chimney base.
              Mine was made so easily with a large rectangular area (don't make the mistake of having a slot to catch the smoke), which then funnels the smoke into the bottom of an 8" chimney. The smoke is hot and heads directly up the funnel and into the chimney without interference. The hotter the smoke and gasses are, the better it works with no smoke coming out of the front arch even when pushed with a leaf blower (except when aimed at the fire base and run full chat).
              Even to get a welder to cut/fold and stitch the bits together will pay dividends!!!!
              I have made several for local builders and Hendo's oven.

Cheers.

Neill
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

The vent and chimney are some of the easier part, so don't worry, you'll be fine. My brother built an oven about a year before me and it was beautiful. Mine didn't have all the perfect cuts like his but when I put my shell up around it, nobody could tell. His actually got a few cracks (nothing to worry about) and mine didn't. I actually used as close to full brick as I could for the keystone at the top. He peiced it all the way up to the top and that is where his cracked a little and also at the arch, the two places the heat seems to be the hottest. None of that matters because both of our ovens work great and will probably outlast a nuclear holocost.
                Here is a pic at the acrh and a couple of the top. I only attach them so you can see I was not perfect but my oven works great.

Comment

Neill, I wish I had the money to go all out like that and have a welder build something for me, but unfortunately I do not. Pretty much every idea for my oven has been "borrowed" from everyone else on this site and most of the pictures I've saved have been of the vent and chimney area. I'm hoping I make the right decision on the design. I will post some pictures I've saved for you guys to see and maybe you can point me in the right direction as to which one will work best for my oven. I guess this thread has unofficially become my oven build post, so I will continue to welcome any hints, tips, or criticism that you guys have for me.

Barry, thanks for leaving the pics for me to see. I hope my oven turns out looking great, but more importantly as I have stated before, I just want it to perform well and hopefully outlast me.

Here's where I'm at today. Just finished my 3rd course and will be on to the 4th tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                  X