Johnfm43 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnfm43 Build

As you guys can see my Join Date was 08-09-2008. I have been researching for almost a full 3 years. Time and Money have been the two big problems. I broke ground when school got out. I just have been trying to do as much as I can myself. So here goes with my build.

My plan is to build a WFO, Parrilla, and fireplace. I am not sure how far I can get before I return to work. But, I will do what I can.

So far I have dug out the area 35'X14'. Installed water, drains (I burried two 55 Gallon drums that had the bottoms removed, I filled them with drain rock put the lid back on and covered up) and electricial. I installed 3 inches of road base and 4 inches of concrete, 7 inches in the WFO area, wire mesh and rebar. Then the day of the pour it rained hard. We had to tent the area. I did pay a local guy to finish and stamp the pad. We poured the outdoor kitchen pad and a firewood pad which worked out to be 8 yards. It is time tomorrow to start the block stand.

Here are some early pictures. More to come as I go along.

I do still need to buy fire bricks. I do need 9 dark ones for an idea I have. Has anyone ever used the black ones. Can't say what I am doing with them you will have to follow along to see.

Thanks Johnfm43

Helpers in the one pictures brought me drain rock to fill up the drums.
    Attached Thumbnails

I know that this is the same post as in Getting started. But, I did not know how to move thread to the right location.

Re: Johnfm43 Build

Well as I have reported the other day I have the slab poured and things are starting to go up. Here a few pictures from the pour and the finished slab. As you can tell from the pictures it rained hard the morning of the pour. We had to build a huge tent over the area. We had it colored and stamped.

Thank goodness for one of our friends that had gone to ranger school in the military, he knew how to tie knots and engineer stuff.
    We also poured a 6X24 foot fire wood box slab. This should help with keeping the wood dry during the winter.

More to report soon.
    Johnfm43

Comment

I got the first few courses of block layed over the last couple of days. I also got the steel cut and welded so, I should be able to finish the block today. I used 2X2 3/8" angle iron. I saw two different numbers in the instructions. So I went with the larger of the two. I have a tendency to go overboard on most of my builds. I have put in a picture of the kids playhouse that the wife and I build in 2008. As you can tell overkill.

I started laying the electrical I am hopeing to have an outlet and two lights on the oven. I am still thinking about the thermocouplers. I have read most of the post on the issue and still not sure if I want to put out the money for them and a reader.

More Pics I hope at the end of the day.

Johnfm43

Comment

John -

it's looking real good. We've had some strange weather this spring / summer in Northern California - it's tripped me up a bit as well.

Comment

Looks like a huge project! cant wait to see how this progresses!.

Comment

Ok. I am at a quandary. I am about to finish the final layer of blocks. It now appears that my floor height will be 47". I know that this has been discussed a lot. I am 6' and my wife is 5'4". Should I use 4" blocks instead of 8" blocks.

Johnfm43

Comment

I would rather have the oven higher, simply for the fact that you can make a small step for shorter poeple, but you cant ever raise it higher..

My personal opinion.. im sure it will differ from most.

Comment

John,

I believe a 47" cooking floor height will work out just fine. You're tall, so that will help you avoid having to crouch down every time to place and remove a pizza from the WFO. The only "negative" side-effect will be that if your hearth ends up being too tall for the wife or everybody else, you'll be the "designated" pizza handler to place and remove the pizzas from your oven. But... is that really a "negative" side-effect???

aceves

Comment

Chidding, Aceves,
                  Thanks for the reassurance. I went ahead and completed the base. I used 73-8X8X16, 6-8X8X8 and 21-4X8X16. I also used 4-80Lb sacks of Morter. As you can see from my pictures My wood area is out of square by 2 inches. I did not catch it until the end of the 3rd course. But, I knew that it did not make a difference. I had planned on faceing it with brick, I will make it square then.

I will pour every other core tomorrow and install the rebar. I am hopeing to pour the slab on wednesday or friday. I will be going thursday to bay area to pick up some fire bricks. I have called H. C. Muddox three times starting in, March, in hopes of getting seconds from them but, everytime they tell me that they do not sell thier seconds anymore.

Thanks Johnfm43

Comment

Re: Johnfm43 Build-Floor design

Here is a picture of the floor design I have for my oven.

Johnfm43

Comment

John,

Very inventive on the oven floor design!! I dig the creativity! Is that red fire brick? M is for your last name, correct? Very cool indeed.

aceves

Comment

Yes on both.
                        Those are red fire bricks. I found them at $0.50 each for both red and the white. The yard must have had them for sometime, there were blackberry vines and weeds growing around them. For that price, I would have picked the blackberries for them if they would have asked. I could only get 280 in my truck. I will have to make another trip soon to get more. I need them for my Parrilla and for the fireplace.

M is for my Last name. I think it will give it a cool look when it is in the oven, it is spaced so you can see it through the front opening, I think. I wanted to use black fire bricks but, I was not willing to pay $13.95 each plus shipping. I only used 9 but, that would have cost almost as much as I payed for the 280 I got.

Comment

Re: To much steel?

I bent and installed the rebar getting ready to pour the hearth.

I do have two questions, first, did I need this much steel. I have 1 foot squares laid out.

Also in the first image you can see a front piece that I am using to help hold the cantilevered front. Did I do this right or should have I just run end pieces out front. Also, it is only about 3 inches from the curve, is this to close. If I pull it back it will not hang over the block.

Thanks in advance for the reply
                          Johnfm43

Comment

It looks a little generous on the rebar, but there's no reason other than thrift to use less. Looks good.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi John,

It's been a while since your last post. Any updates on your build?

aceves

Comment

Working...
                              X