Comment

Re: 35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga

That looks good! Well Done.

Comment

Wow! Great-looking oven!

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone, it is appreciated. Just hope that the photos help someone as all the posts that I read really helped me.

It has taken over a year to get this far and sons keep asking when they are going to get a pizza !

If I had my time over, I would not have been so fussy about have tight joins but once I had the first several easy rows done, I did not want to change.

Russell - about how I got the angles for the cuts ?
          I ended up using cardboard templates mainly because it was a lot faster and easier than my original method of guessing and trial and error trimming.

So I will try to describe... I traced on a piece of cardboard the bottom angle then marked the angles for sides and top then cut out the cardboard shape; placed the cardboard template on a firebrick (remember to flip the cardboard over otherwise you will get a mirror image instead ) and marked around the cardboard then it was a simple matter of cutting with a diamond blade dropsaw. Any minor "final fit" trimming was done with a hand grinder with diamond blade. I started with only using the grinder but found the dropsaw heaps quicker, easier and gave cleaner cuts.

Using this method while it seems over the top, it was really easy to get the most out the firebricks and was quite quick with little need to trim.

The last plug was easy I held a piece of cardboard from inside the oven and with some coaxing (to climb up) my wife traced the shape from the top; cut and flipped the template and marked out the bricks then cut with the dropsaw and that was it with minor trim fitted perfectly.

All the best
          Brett

Comment

Brett,

Your joint cuts are over the top in tightness. It looks like your time and patience paid off. Great look. Thanks for the info on the plug, will incorporate in my clousre. Great job.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Just a short update with photos

First couple of photos of the chimney transition - pretty happy how I was able to shape it to be smooth - worked out better than I expected. Used a 4 inch grind with diamond blade and it was quite easy but time consuming and dusty. Smoothed out the transition with some course wet and dry - overkill I know
              I am going to use a 6 inch stainless steel flue and fit it inside the top of the chimney bricks by say 2 inches or so. So I shaped the bricks to form just over a 6 inch hole. I actually used fire brick offcuts and cut then to same thickness. One more layer to go but I don't really need to go that high but since I have the bricks cut I will do it anyway.

After I finished the chimney brickwork (you can see the old shape that resulted from using offcut pieces), I did the front landing using coping pavers.
              It is hard to see by the photos but I have left a about a 3/4 inch heat transfer break - I will fill with insulating material.

Next will be doing outer brick decorative facing which go on top of the landing pavers - photos to follow !

Brett

Comment

Well, I see you chimney cuts match your dome cuts, you are setting the bar pretty high!
                Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-30-2012, 06:30 AM. Reason: typo
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Here are a few more photos from a few weeks ago...

You can see the heat break I have put in between the front decorative arch.

I am working on the roof enclose now and chimney through the roof. Progressing fine just takes time fitting everything in place. Hope to have a few more photos next week.

Might even be able to light up soon !

Brett

Comment

Nice job Brett.

Where did you get the 230x230x75 firebricks?

Comment

Originally posted by harro View Post
                      Nice job Brett.

Where did you get the 230x230x75 firebricks?
                      From Claypave, but I haven't seen any on my last visits. Give them a ring, I am sure they will have some stashed somewhere.

Brett

Comment

Well finally got around to posting some more photos...

I decided it might be easier to build the roof frame on the ground and lift it up later - I think it was a good way to go.

With the roof on, I did the sheet metal work around the flue pipe with an outer box from cement fibre sheet and filled space with vermiculite cement.

You can see the windkat chimney cap I got from ebay, one of the best buys I have made.

Before I started a fire, I had to divert my attentions to some oven tools. First of all a poker and metal rake to drag out the ashes. I have a flat and curved rake in mind plus a mop, brush and metal pizza peel. Will get some photos soon... pretty fortunate my Dad is a retired welder.

Finally have a little fire in the hole.... ended up using wood because I could not wait any longer (to arrange for a gas burner or heat beads). I found it quite difficult to maintain a small fire, had to continually feed it with small quantities of small twigs to keep the temperature down. It still got hotter than I had aimed for and the heat was a bit uneven between the floor, sides and top.

Next batch of photos and commentary coming soon.

Brett

Comment

A few more photos for your entertainment. Well went on to a larger fire the next day. Got a little tired of feeding the fire and maybe heated it up a little to fast and the dome started to clear.

Surprise surprise - a few creaks on the outside. I was a bit "dismayed" at first but the creaks just follow the brick joints and look worse than they are plus are only evident/visible only on the outside, not the inside.

Anyway, thought about grouting then up but decided they are narrrow really creaks that are just part of the natural expansion of the oven. So went on with wrapping the dome in three layers of ceramic insulation.

In retrospect, since I let the oven dry naturally for >>several weeks, I would have been inclined to think it is better to do the dome insulation first before firing because it might have helped distribute and control the heat across the oven more evenly.

Just have to finish the enclosure walls and make a door now !

Brett

Comment

Heard someone say think of cracks as self adjusting relief cuts, kind of like that, you eluded to it, no surprise part of the build, nice work, look forward to more pics
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

Hi Mr. Toy,

Do a few more firing before insulating, drive off as much moisture as you can.

Comment

A newbie here and first ever post. I've been searching and researching for awhile now. I thank you Mistertoy for your photographs. Very detailed and leaves less questions. I'm about to start my build. Have most of the materials for the stand and will start in the next week thanks to your pics.
                                Rickaroonie

Comment

Working...
                                X