Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Today's progress

Up to chain 7 with inner arch bricks in place. _Still need a little clean up of a couple of the Arch bricks with the grinder - When they were mortared in they did not fit exactly as planned and need some trimming but I need to have the mortar firm up a bit befor hitting them with the grinder.

I pre-cut the Inner arch bricks into a wedge shape and then custom cut each brick as I went until I reached chain 7 and then closed in the inner arch.
    Chip

Comment

Hint of the day.

When applying mortar to bricks and when tapping them into place have your mortar container (in my case SS bowl) directly under the work area, That way mortar that squeezes out or is dropped will fall right back into the bowl.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

It's coming along...
        My oven (for now):
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Hand lotion!!!?
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            Hand lotion!!!?
            Ya Sure ... You Bet Ya!!!

I have mortared up to chain 9 and have not worn gloves and my hands a baby soft. and my nails are not cracking. You should try it. Best kept secret for concrete work passed along from a friend of mine named Erik (Frenchie).

Chip
            Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
              You should try it. Best kept secret for concrete work passed along from a friend of mine named Erik (Frenchie).

Chip
              Id get beaten up at work.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The best one I've found is HEMP HAND PROTECTOR from the body shop. Most bricklayers don't use anything, I think the skin of your hands gets used to continual exposure to cement. I think lime is way worse, you really know about it if you have a cut or abrasion on your hands.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well, I have made more progress after taking the weekend off to build a garage for my brother in law.

I know that sounds like work but it was quite fun and a distraction from the day to day.

After getting to chain 11, I think I am finally getting a handle on the FB Mortar and am finding it easier to set bricks and use less mortar. My brick cutting skills have been enhanced due to building a jig for the saw. I will post more on the jig in the future. It is based on another posted on the site and was quite easy to build.

I was able to put in 3 chains today and that included cutting the bricks. Yesterday I built the cutting jig and only got 1 chain installed.

I must mention one thing. I found at chain 11 that the angle of my bricks was becoming to elevated (vertical) and I had to take a drastic measure and grind the tops off of all of chain 11 to get the bricks back into alignment. I used a 7 inch diamond blade attached to an angle grinder. All came out well but I was not paying close enough attention to the top angle of the bricks and they became about 10 degrees to vertical and I needed to grind them back. It was easier to do this than to try and put in bricks that were wedged the wrong direction.

The bricks had been set on Friday and I did not grind them until yesterday. So they were fully set and the mortar was very firm.

I am on chain 15 with 2 bricks set, the top is about 15 inches in diameter from completion. I am out of round by about 3/4 inches but I think that is more of a characteristic of rectangular bricks causing V's and distorting the circle. I am not sure if the slight out of round is an issue.

The top is level within about 1/4 inch and I. am very pleased with that.

Photos are of my progress at about noon today.

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Excellent progress, just make sure you keep that inside nice and clean, trust me.. you do not want to get inside afterwards.. its a pain in the arse

Comment

While working today I found that it has become much harder to avoid lining up joints the higher up the dome progresses.

For that reason I have begun to cut a number of varying sizes of bricks to allow me to select from three distinct sizes as I fill the chain.

It is very hard to predict exactly how the joints will line up so being able to select a brick width at the time of placement saves the mortar from becoming set in the bowl.

On chains 12 - 14 I have been able to set 7 or 8 bricks and on chains 9 - 11 I was only able to set 5 or 6 at a time. To me this is significant because I am almost vertical at this time.

The bricks are holding quite well and I have only had 2 bricks slip out of place today. I guess I moved my IT to quickly.

BTW I had to cut the clamp off of my IT as at the higher angles it was just getting in the way I just have a very small L shaped piece of angle at the end at this time and it is working well.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                        Excellent progress, just make sure you keep that inside nice and clean, trust me.. you do not want to get inside afterwards.. its a pain in the arse
                        The floor is a mess but it is covered in a sheet of 1/8 inch plastic and I do clean it up at least 2 times a day. I use an acid brush (no acid) to brush the inside of the dome at the end of each chain installation (or sooner if I am moving slow.

The brush removes a lot of excess mortar and makes cleanup much easier. Then I wipe down the inner surface with a sponge and rag to remove excess mortar.

The bricks I am using are used fireplace brick and they are getting slightly stained from the FB mortar but not serious. The drip marks you see in the photo are water that was on the brick from just wiping the last chain down.

I am planning on hitting the inside with a little diluted muratic acid tomorrow to clean things up a little better prior to closing the dome which may happen tomorrow or Thursday if the the weather does not hold.

That way I can have minimal cleanup issues for just the last 3 or so chains.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

Chip,

Your oven's coming along nicely. Very impressed with the bond you're maintaining by staggering your bricks. Yes, it does get more tedious the higher up you go.

I just noticed the 'cap' you placed on the top of your arch form (metal/plastic?) on a prior pic. Damn, I wish I'd thought of that! And I had a spare 7' aluminum vertical blind just sitting there the whole time. Duh!

Keep up the great work. I really like the way the inside of your transition came out, especially the graduated inward angles the closer the arch bricks go towards the middle. Indispensible tool(s)?

John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post

Indispensable tool(s)?

John
                            Yes Indespensible tools - if you look back at some of my photos in this post you will see them. They have magnetic heads and at the center of the oven is a 1.125 inch diameter ball bearing that has been sliced in half and then welded to a piece of sheet metal.

This configuration allows me to have two brick tools going at the same time and also be able to completely remove the tools should I want to for cleaning or other reasons.

The other two are a simple stick with magnets on both ends. I use this as a marking and brick support tool. The last IT is a magnet on the end of a string for marking and angle checking.

All quickly and easily latch on to the center ball and are very simple to remove with a light pull.

I was concerned about keeping the ball clean but since it is polished chrome it cleans up with a rag or sponge in an instant.

At about chain 7 I decided to cut down the size of one of the brick setters and remove the clamp as the extra material was making it difficult to tap the bricks int place.

Chip

I am very happy with my design for the tool.
                            Last edited by mrchipster; 08-18-2011, 06:19 AM. Reason: spelling error fix
                            Chip

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post

I just noticed the 'cap' you placed on the top of your arch form (metal/plastic?) on a prior pic. Damn, I wish I'd thought of that! And I had a spare 7' aluminum vertical blind just sitting there the whole time. Duh!

John
                              The cap on the inner arch form is a piece of thin sheet metal.

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

especially the graduated inward angles the closer the arch bricks go towards the middle. Indispensible tool(s)?
                                Sorry Chip. I should have been more clear on my question. Did you happen to use your IT's to help configure the interior lines of your inner arch? I used a plywood template to figure out the lower angle and an IT to figure out the radius.

Your multiple magnetic IT's are nothing short of brilliant. They illustrate a refreshing willingness to innovate and progress convention.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X