Continued Design Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Continued Design Ideas

I think its a little late for that as the oven is being used....
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Lill Dave, your post is about two months too late and I'm not sure very relevant. Save some money? I'm only in this thing just over $800 and that includes buying the tile saw, cement mixer and various tools as well as all the materials needed to finish it. I'm not sure how building a dome instead of a vault would make it any cheaper. And as for the Pompeii being "far better" I think the jury is still out on that one. Better maybe, but not by far. Last week I cooked four absolutely perfect loaves of bread followed by several dozen incredibly delicious cookies and an amazing roast and baked potatoes the week before. I'm not sure a Pompeii would have made any improvements. Still, I might be building another oven for my daughter so who knows, if someone can convince me that the dome is so much better, I just might give it a try.

Craig

Comment

If you still have some of those tapered bricks you should build another vault for your daughter, there is no difference in performance from a dome or vault that I can see from the posts Ive read on here.

Fire goes in, bricks get hot.

The forum is of course dome biased.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I almost forgot why I came here.

I have a question. At what temperature does the soot burn off? I've read that when the dome goes white the floor is 900 degrees. Is this correct? I'm too cheap to buy an infrared thermometer and am just curious what the approx temp of my oven is.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by clofgreen View Post
            I almost forgot why I came here.
            Its old timers disease, I do the same.....

The carbon burns off at 300c.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

They say that when you turn 50 the second thing to go is your memory. I can't remember what the first thing is.

Comment

Dear clofgreen, sorry about the two months late I guss I didn't do my home work.My comment about the pompii is my first oven was the style yours is , it works fine but I like my pompii a little better. Good luck on the next oven whatever style.

Comment

No prob Lill Dave. My posts tend to be rather long winded.

To celebrate the first snow we've had in over a month I fired up the oven, invited family and cooked pizza, bread and brownies. Mm mm good! Here's a sampling.

But as good as the food was, the best part of the day was seeing my grandson again. Not to brag but he's a real cutie.

Comment

Salute! You got it going on!

Comment

Looking good Craig,

There is a newbie in America fork that needs supply info. If I hear back from him I will send him your way for info.

Derk

Comment

• Infrared thermometer

Picked one up at Harbor Freight for $24. It is amazing.

My favorite joke: I point it at my sweetheart, hit the trigger. "Yep, she's still hot!"

Comment

Finally got back to building the WFO. Here's a progress image.

Being my first attempt at laying brick I've made a bunch of mistakes not the least of which is letting the smeared mortar cure onto the brick. I've read a number of posts stating the pros and cons of using muriatic acid. Anyone want to weigh in on the subject? I'd like to hear your experience/opinion.

Craig

Comment

Nice job with the bricks...your lack of experience doesn't show. I used a form of muriatic acid, though supposedly gentler. I got it at Ace. It had to be cut with water, and foamed a bit when applied. I still needed to wire brush the more difficult areas, but the stuff worked and cleaned my bricks (I did wear gloves and eye protection just in case). Rinse them off after cleaning to dilute any remaining acid, though most of it should react with the mortar and neutralize. The moral of the (my) story was clean the bricks after they have set, but before the mortar is completely cured.
                            Keep up the good work

gene

Comment

Take a look here mate:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cks-16900.html
                              Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Originally posted by clofgreen View Post
                                Being my first attempt at laying brick
                                Nice work, the arch looks great and you worked the bond out too....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X