Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Continued Design Ideas

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    I used a form of muriatic acid, though supposedly gentler. I got it at Ace.
    This must be the stuff:

Certol International? Acid Magic Muriatic Acid Replacement

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Comment

That's the stuff. I think I only cut it 1:4, and then had to apply it twice or so in the more difficult areas. Shredded a rag I scrubbed so hard. But it worked.
      gene

Comment

Here are the latest progress images.

Laying brick has gotten easier and faster but I still struggle at times; had to build the upper arch three times before I got it right.

I surrounded the vent and first flue piece with 6:1 perlcrete to give support to the chimney. I'm also thinking of building some kind of support out of metal studs to pick up the load but haven't decided quite how to do it. I'd love to hear your ideas.

I'm planning to build scissor trusses for the roof and anchor them to the brick walls with allthread and grout since I'm six courses above the last tie. I also have some left over rebar that I could grout in. I tied the arch and front wall to the vent structure with wire mesh which is also encased in the perlcrete. Not sure if this is overkill or if I still need to do more. I don't want these walls falling off if we ever have an earthquake since this oven was intended to be part of my emergency preperation.

And one last question. I have a piece of left over granite countertop that I'd like to use in the entry instead of the firebrick but I'm worried that the heat will damage it. Anyone have any experience with this?

Craig
        Last edited by clofgreen; 05-28-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Looks great! I would not use the granite in the entry.

Comment

Clofgreen,
            Looking at your brick work closer and noticed in the background some espaliers?? Umm, do we wfos think similar? I am training a couple pears espalier trees. Will hook up with u on the CaSi when i get back.

Russell
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Craig, I and others have used granite in the entry, away from the direct fire, and it seems to work out. If you allow for replacement if needed, you have a gracefull "Plan B". If you go this route, take a bit of extra effort and slightly slope the granite so that any water that might ever get into the entry drains out of the front.

Oh! Also setup a break in the oven floor to minimize heat transfer from the oven interior to the entry floor and under the oven door, even a 1/4" gap to be filled with ash will make a difference and slow the heat flow.

Chris
              Last edited by SCChris; 06-04-2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I had a day off last week so worked on the oven. Here are a few pics.

I built a frame out of metal studs that I embedded in the perlite. It gave a level and firm surface to lay the chimney bricks. I built a beam out of two metals studs with two back to back tracks on top which I attached to the chimney base on one end and an opening in the bricks on the other.

I'm trying to decide if I should grout the beam into the wall to anchor the wall or if the expanding metal studs would weaken the wall.

I attached studs, filled the cavity with perlite and attached a layer of OSB. I'm still not sure what I'm using as a finish roof material.

Clofgreen,
                Looking at your brick work closer and noticed in the background some espaliers?? Umm, do we wfos think similar? I am training a couple pears espalier trees. Will hook up with u on the CaSi when i get back.

Russell
                Yes, I have a pear espalier. I've tried to turn my back yard into a mostly edible landscape. High maintenance but totally worth it.

Craig
                Last edited by clofgreen; 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I forgot to ask another question: Has anyone NOT put a spark arrester on their chimney or is it a necessary item? Any ideas what kind would look good on this chimney?

Comment

It is necessary in most building codes. In the pic I see a lot of wood and potential leaf fuel depending on the season and the weather conditions. You can make one out of construction cloth and just lay it over your flue exit. You will still need to build a rain cap though. The cap made from the same brick your build is made would look the best imo. But there are endless ideas and products out there if you do the search.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I think I'm finished (famous last words). Here's a couple of pics.

I don't think it varied too much from original design.

I'd like to thank the many wonderful people on this forum who gave great advice so that a total novice could pull something like this off. I hope I can give back even a portion of what I received here.

Craig

Comment

Craig,

Nice job. I thought I was good at finding and salvaging materials but after reading your thread, you are the king. Fine looking oven, you have set a high bar to follow.

Russell
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                          Clofgreen,

Russell
                          that is pretty funny. I am planning to plant a couple of trees to espalier along the retaining wall behind my oven.

next question... anyone else roast their own coffee beans?
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

It is beautiful, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                              that is pretty funny. I am planning to plant a couple of trees to espalier along the retaining wall behind my oven.

Or raise chickens?
                              Last edited by clofgreen; 06-14-2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                                There is a whole thread on here about just that.

Originally posted by clofgreen View Post
                                Or raise chickens?
                                Yep, I do.
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X