• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Cloita,

Nice progress. I really, really understand how one can spend so much time cutting a brick for an arch tie-in, at least you only had to cut one for that spot, it took me several attempts to get one to my satisfaction. Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Courses in progress:

Third course complete and the first brick of my inner arch:

...and then the beer I drank shortly after spending that much time cutting ONE brick.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Been a few weeks since an update but I've been busy trying to stay sane between the trips to the hardware store, these forums, and my backyard!

Soldiers getting mortar:

Kids (unknowingly) loaned me something to soak bricks in:

Landing walls set:

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

cloita,
    Nice weldless variation. Luckily for me I had a welder but my welds are not pretty. Great tight brick cuts.

Utahbeehiver

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Also here's my variation on the indispensible tool. Cost approximately $15 at Menard's. It is secured to my wooden template via a brass beveled bushing and two eye bolts. the 5/16" size bolts and a bushing of (can't remember the size) fit together with a slight help from Mr. Sledgehammer, but have just the right amount of pressure to still pivot and stay in place when needed. I need to modify it a bit more since the base coupling is reverse thread on one end and randomly breaks free! I also plan on adding a length adjustment coupling in the middle with lock nuts to secure. The brick jig is from the joist/rafter section and is secured via an "elevator bolt".

Last edited by cloita; 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Any tips for inside cuts like this with a stationary saw?? Failed a few times then gave up for the night. Been thinking hard about it and might go with a two-piece approach to eliminate the inside cuts.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Lots of progress this weekend, for my pace anyway! Most of my floor is cut and dry fit and my soldiers are ready for mortar.

Last edited by cloita; 06-03-2012, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Will do, good luck on the jig

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Nice job on stamped concrete. Post progress pics. Working on jig for brick saw to cut taper/bevels on firebrick. Going to steal ideas from WFOs.

Thx,

Russell

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Grats on the progress! I'm planning on enclosure with a flagstone finish to go with the stamped concrete under the oven. Left about six inches each side to accommodate the framing and insulation, hopefully I did it right.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Hi Colita,

I am doing a corner build too and about the same stage as you. Are you doing an enclosure or a dome? Still have not decided on whether to enclose or not but heading towards a dome style.

Beehiver

Russell

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

It's about that time of the season again in the midwest. Poured my hearth, cut my fiberboard, and started dry fitting the oven floor.

Last edited by cloita; 05-28-2012, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

~10 more bricks on the inside then I'm ready for concrete/rebar and the hearth!

21AUG2011:

Last edited by cloita; 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

More progress!

13AUG2011:

Last edited by cloita; 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X