• mirassou
    replied
    Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Very nice! Can't wait to see it.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Nothing, edges will be polished and that's it. Building the decorative arch using this landing as a base, then running stucco up to that

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Beautiful, now what are you putting in front of that?

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Slow and steady! Got a 3/16" bullnose edge added to the granite landing and the polishing pads are due in next week.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

more granite shots

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Going with the adhesive route for the granite-to-brick bonding it looks like.

Got the granite slab cut and the floor squared up (my oven is about 2? off centered so the front isn't quite square). Right edge was a near perfect cut, left has a bit of a gap. Time to figure out how to route the edge and polish granite...

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Perhaps hi-temp caulk...that and gravity ought to hold it.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Maybe an adhesive?

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Started on my landing and decorative arch, got a "slight" boo-boo (beware, link is a little gory) from a falling piece of granite but I got patched up pretty painlessly. Worst part was not being able to hit the trails on my bike for 10 days!

I bought a slab of granite and plan to use it as the initial landing in my opening along with some brown brick to frame out the decorative arch. I'm extremely satisfied with the color matches between the brick, granite, and firebrick.

Mock up of the landing, need to get a brown brick picture to show the plan still:

Stacked two studs/channels then added cement board, this plus mortar and the slab is at the exact right height:

I'd like to have the granite slab go from metal stud to metal stud as shown in the first picture then have the decorative brick arch rest directly on it. The question I've been unable to find an answer for is: Can I mortar brick directly to a granite surface? Do I rough up the granite surface and risk breaking the slab? Do I drop the brick down to the cement board and fit the granite slab in between the brick? I'd like to shy away from dropping the brick down to the cement board because it would help hold the granite slab in nicely. Any input would be appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Got the roof fascia finished a few weekends ago, still need to get up there with some caulk to seal it up proper:

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

Thanks you

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Those supplies came from VJ Mattson in Mokena, IL. I'll see if I can dig up the receipts, can't remember off the top of my head.

V J Mattson Co

http://goo.gl/maps/Mh8zV

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

Wondering where you purchased your firebrick and insulation, board and batt, And the most important , price. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Thanks. I have a roof over it this winter instead of a few tarps!

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

What you are seeing is effouresence. Try to keep the dome dry, salt and minerals coming out of the brick. I am a bricklayer , for 40 years. This happens with walls that are not covered before completion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X