Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build

Hi Aceves,

Nice build! Question how much does that door weigh it looks heavy? Did you insulate it?

Looking to build similar.

Thanks.

Kurt

Comment

Hi Kurt,

Thanks! Yes, the door is heavy - 25 lbs! And I did insulate it, I kept a piece of the insulation roll aside just for the door. I doubled it up with 2.5 inches of insulation in between both metal panels. I should do the trick.

Once you start your build, post photos.

Take care.

Aceves

Comment

Did some work this weekend. We installed the bullnose ledge all the way around, and the bullnose ledge right in front of my oven, on top of the smaller bullnose bricks. It didn't come out perfect, but it came out good nonetheless. I just say it adds character!

As you may recall in my past posts, that key below is my key in the stone, my "keystone." It is a corkscrew/bottle opener, all in one.

Now on to the final arch, and the doors, and the sink, and the.....

Aceves

Comment

Just picked up some ceramic fiberglass rope for my door, along with high temp glue to stick the rope to the door and black high temp paint to protect the metal. Door should be done in the next few days and I will post pics.

I'm happy to be working on the WFO again.

Aceves

Comment

Been busy with finishing the WFO project! We've installed the outdoor sink and faucet. All the plumbing and drainage is done. I'll post pics soon (forgot to take pics during the installation).

I've also completed my WFO door. I put on 3 coats of high temp stove paint in black, and glued a length of ceramic rope to the outer lip with high temp glue. Check out the pics below.

I have also finished my doors for my counters and have installed 2 of them. I just need to install the rest and stain & seal them with varnish. These are all hand-made doors made from cedar wood planks. I like the look right now, hopefully the wood grain will come out better once they are varnished.

More pics to come!

Aceves

Comment

nice lookin door(s)
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Well, it is finally done... finished... as in no more construction, only cooking and baking and enjoying with family and friends!!

I have to clean it up a little bit, and take some additional photos, but I wanted to post a night shot of the final arch of the WFO as it stands now.

More pics to follow this weekend.

Aceves

Comment

Just added these pics on the "Tools" thread. Also wanted to post them here. This is one of my favorite WFO tools/toys. It has its own spark starter, so no more need for matches. I can get the fire going in just minutes!

Aceves

Comment

Looks just like mine.. I added a longer fuel hose and use the standard propane tank.. Love mine..

Chris

Comment

I did a huge sourdough bake this weekend. Awesome results! I had been feeding my SF sourdough started for 6 days. I'll be doing another bake in a couple of weeks.

Prior to the bake, though, I did "dirty steak!" Two steaks directly on the coals. The pic with the steaks on the plate are DIRECTLY out of the oven and off the coals. VERY little ash on the steaks themsleves. I dug right in.
                      They came out juicy and delicious. Gone in 60 seconds!

Enjoy the pics.

Aceves

Comment

Here are the pics of my SF sourdough bake. I did 8 boules and 2 loaves. Temp was around 475, 18-20 mins per bake. It all went very smoothly. This was my second time doing sourdough. The first time was OK, but I did much better this time.

I got a good rise and crumb, and excellent flavor throughout. I love my WFO!!

Aceves
                        Last edited by aceves; 07-03-2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Wow, a 20 minute bake, mine are alway twice that time. Even my dinner rolls take 12 to 15 minutes. Whats your secret? Please show a crumb shot.

Comment

DONE!!! Here is my oven: Chichen Itza Pizza!! I have a fully finished, fully functioning oven!!

I have been enjoying baking since the dome and chimney were completed, but now, having it fully done, is the best part. I no longer have to build or paint, etc.

I've been baking sourdoughs, cooking beer can chicken, grilling dirty steaks and making awesome pizzas. Now I want to try my luck at a turkey (I'll start small at first!).

Thank you all WFO Forum members for all your knowledge, expertise, and great advice. I will continue to pass it forward, imparting the knowledge that I learned from building mine and helping the next round of WFO builders.

To all the new Forum members: have fun building, cooking and baking. And remember to post pics! We love pics!

Here's my labor of love. I hope you guys like it!

Aceves
                            Last edited by aceves; 08-19-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

And more pics. You'll notice that I lined my firepit with firebrick. And I also took a shot of the stained concrete countertops and the sink & faucet I installed. The key you see on top of the storage area is a skeleton key I embedded into concrete, my own "keystone." The key handle comes off and it becomes a corkscrew for wine and a bottle opener for brews.

This completes my outdoor kitchen. Down the road, perhaps a shade structure, but for now, it's all good!

Aceves

Comment

Very nice! One of the most unique and original designs I have seen
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X