Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Some of you may recall I had a pizza oven built by a company who didn't know what they were doing when it comes to ovens and a manufacturer who kept making excuses for the smoke problem and never even addressed the lack of insulation claiming it wasn't necessary. I decided to leave it alone as a pretty paper weight as it looks nice where it is and will be building a new Pompeii 42" myself in another area of the yard. I plan on maybe starting the foundation this week. If anyone has any suggestions or important hints along the way I am very willing to listen. I have learned a ton already reading this forum for the last 2 months.
    Last edited by NYC; 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM.

Re: May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Its sad that the company didnt want to address the problem but good that you will finally get an oven that works.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Well, karma will work it's ways. I spent $50K on an outdoor kitchen of which about $8K was for a would be oven that turned into a pretty paperweight. I will start from scratch and do it myself so I know it will work fine.

Comment

Dont forget the pics....
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You will enjoy building it yourself. The help given here is first class. I am a few months into my build and it's been very satisfying as long as you have the patience. Good Luck!
          Leigh

Comment

Thanks guys. Pictures are part of the fun.

Comment

Is it not possible to knock out the one you have built ? why build elsewhere if you have a 50k outdoor kitchen setup already? seems counterintuative to me?

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                Is it not possible to knock out the one you have built ? why build elsewhere if you have a 50k outdoor kitchen setup already? seems counterintuative to me?
                The way I read NYC's post is that his oven was a bust and he is electing a 'redo' on it.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Good Luck on your new build, I grew up in NYC and now live in Ct. You are welcome to come up anytime to check out my build. It may not be the prettiest oven but I have followed the build plans and it should work well!
                  Good Luck!
                  John
                  Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                  Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                  Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

I've said it before. This is the friendliest community on the web.

To the guy asking about knocking out the old one, it is symmetrical with then rest of the kitchen and has a nice finish on it. The 42" Pompeii would require a larger footprint than the current barrel and would mess up the symmetry of the area. I am going to put the new one closer to my house and leave the old one alone. Here is a photo of the current setup.

Comment

Why not do a barrel oven so you can retain the setup? just a thought.. that kitchen looks amazing..

Comment

Because the barrel has no landing with vent and smokes out the front. I am under roof here and can't have smoke spill which was my big problem with this oven.

Comment

Ahhk, Well best of luck with the build! so much more fun doing it yourself anyways! keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC View Post
                            Because the barrel has no landing with vent and smokes out the front. I am under roof here and can't have smoke spill which was my big problem with this oven.
                            That is one beautiful outdoor kitchen! I would find a way to make that oven or another oven work in that area!
                            Man that is a WOW!
                            Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                            Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                            Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Here are a few more photos of the kitchen for those who want to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X