Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How small

Hi Everyone
    I have quite a few questions and I want to get them in a signal thread. I want to start with a question that on the surface seems simple. That is what is the smallest oven that can be built that would be serviceable for a small family and I really don't have large gatherings. I see kits with 24" and larger. I am renting right now and will be buying a house in 6 months. So I have purchased 725 9 X 4.5 X 2.5 firebricks. So I have enough to build several ovens. I want to practice with a small oven so I can work out all of the kinks plus have one I can use and still be able to move to the new home while I build the permanent one. I would like to cook 1 large or 2 small Pizzas. So anyone with smaller ovens I would love to hear from you and anyone with a opinion.

I will leave it here for now as I need to make a list of the questions I had and can't seem to think of right now.
    Thank you

Re: How small

Here is a thread on an excellent smaller oven built by fxpose:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-12677.html

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
      Here is a thread on an excellent smaller oven built by fxpose:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-12677.html
      Hi
      Thanks for the link, I have seen it but I am hoping to go a little smaller and would like to here from those who may have built or used a kit with a 24" inside area or smaller. I have corresponded with fxpose and he said the outside dimensions were 50" or bigger to the front. I need to save as much weight as possible. So I would like to stay around or under 40" but would like the oven to be usable. Thank you again
      Last edited by Hank10746; 08-22-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Superior clay makes an 18 inch oven, but I don't know what use it would be. Cupcakes?

Part of the problem with tiny ovens is that the opening is so large in proportion to the oven that it's hard to maintain heat. Also, once you have a fire going, there's precious little floor room for any cooking.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Here is an oven I built for a small family.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

My oven is 21" and I find it perfectly adequate. I usually cook 9" pizzas one at at a time and keep an active fire on the side. Sometimes I remove some coals to make more room or wait until they've burnt away. I've cooked for pretty big groups (60+) doing 90 sec pizzas without problems. Having pizzas ready to place in the oven is usually the main hassle. The wide entry relative to oven volume is compensated for by maintaining a fire on the side. I can keep up pizza temp all night this way without refiring the oven. A small oven uses very little fuel so you can easily fire up for two or three pizzas.A small oven is also easier to build and costs and weighs less.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
              Superior clay makes an 18 inch oven, but I don't know what use it would be. Cupcakes?

Part of the problem with tiny ovens is that the opening is so large in proportion to the oven that it's hard to maintain heat. Also, once you have a fire going, there's precious little floor room for any cooking.
              I would think roasting or bread Baking. Probably Not much for pizza unless by the slice is your idea of having Pizza. Maybe you could build a insert for the door area while heating it up then another door to seal it off when cooking. I would rather have one 18" than none at all. Thanks for the link as it gave me some ideas

Comment

Thank you for you reply. Do you have a link to your build. If not what size base were you able to build it on.
                Hank

Comment

Looking at the oven 300 MM is about 25.5 inches what size was the base you built it on. Looks like what I want to duplicate. Do you have any more pictures. Have you used it if so how did it do
                  Thank you
                  Hank

Comment

300mm is 12", I havent used it, I only built it for the exercise and for fun..
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Sorry looked at the calculator wrong it said 1" IS 25.4 mm whats worse is I knew that! Did not read any further. When you cook a quail let me know. Probably look like a Turkey

Comment

Mine is 21" and will just fit (door height limit) a 5 Kg turkey, I often cook roasts or two or three loaves of bread. The size suits us fine. The base is 910 x 910 mm and it weighs 250 Kgs. Everyone who has a WFO tends to think that they couldn't do with one any smaller than the one they have.
                        Last edited by david s; 08-23-2011, 01:54 AM.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David
                          Thanks, one more question what is the outside Diameter and height of your oven and door size? I think after I know your finished dimensions I will build a 24" oven. I will have 3 a small one then a 42" or a little bigger then for fun a barrel oven with the opening on the side. Then I can answer all the questions I have about each for myself. Use the the small one for my wife and I the barrel for bread and the big one and just sit and look at the big one. Have to have a hobby

Comment

Well 2 more questions first what is the max temp put out in the oven. I talked to a person who works for a concrete manufacture today he said 2300 degrees was way over anything the oven would see. Mentioned somewhere around 1000F to 1200F degrees.
                            If you build a dome and are not going to enclose it what do you use to waterproof the plaster coating. Mine will be out in the open.
                            Thank you
                            Hank

Comment

The 1200F estimate is what I'd expect as the max, inside oven temps. I'm sure you could get it over this if you decided to run an air blower into the burning wood for a sustained period but this is not standard operating procedure for our WFOs.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X