My Build 42" oven GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Build 42" oven GT

I finished the 8th chain this evening, I noticed the water from the hose feels warmer than the water sitting in the bucket, winter is coming. I hope to get the dome and chimney done before its too cold. I used sticks on this chain then after placing a keystone in the chain, removed sections of the sticks to wash the inside. I replaced them until the mortar sets. Its a little more work but I like the clean joints on the inside, I am going to do as many more chains as I can this way.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Gino

Comment

The pond has lots of fish, I catch and release them for fun. I really wish it was double that size.
      Today I finished the 9th chain using a combination of halves and tapered halves. I cut an angled taper to help reduce the triangle mortar joints that start to appear on the inside. It helped some.
      Of course it was raining again. I actually started the morning cutting the bricks while it was snowing and raining.
      How many more can I do using the sticks? All the way?

[IMG][/IMG]
      Gino

Comment

You can do it all the way. Though I did use piece of plywood on top of stack of bricks for the last chain and the keystone.

Comment

Thats the plan then, it takes me less than an hour to get a chain done now.
          I spend more time cutting and cleaning up.
          Gino

Comment

Completed chain 10 today using all tapered brick. I only have a 14" diameter opening at the top, filling in at about 5" per chain now, I have two more chains and the last brick. I am going to cut smaller brick with a taper for the last few chains.
            Saturday and Sundays cold weather was tougher to work in, I used the small ceramic heater just inside the arch to keep my hands warm, the thermostat actually shut it off a few times. It helped the bricks stay in place as the mortar stiffened up with the little bit of warmth.

Gino

Comment

Chain 11 finished.

Finished chain 11 with a dozen tapered and wedge cut bricks.
              A lot tougher going with the smaller opening.
              I am left with a 10" hole on top and the next course is almost completely verticle.

[IMG][/IMG]
              Gino

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
                Gino

Comment

Looks like your close. Just one or 2 more till the keystone. Looks great.

Mike

Comment

Dome is looking great. You'll be making a few really steep cuts now and then your keystone. Getting really close now. What's your final dome height looking
                    like?
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

According to my indispensible tool, the dome height is right at 21 1/4".
                      When I set my soldier course, I did not use the tool and it was a little over the 21" half way mark so I had to go with it the whole way up, If the top chains are sliding in a little on me it may end up closer to 21". The next row will be almost verticle with sharp angles.
                      Temps in the 40-60's all week so I should have nice weather to work.
                      Thanks to everyone on this sight for all the valuable help.
                      Gino

Comment

It will all work out fine. I did not adjust for the size of the wood below my ID tool that was 3/8". I made an adjustment about the 10th chain and all worked out good!

Comment

oops, I forgot about the 3/4" wood on the bottom.
                          I guess my dome interior height would be around 22".
                          It should not make that much difference.
                          Gino

Comment

Finally done with the dome and ready to start the outer arch and flue entrance.
                            The inside dome looks pretty cool.
                            [IMG][/IMG]

Gino

Comment

- Nice job. How is the arch and vent going to go?

Mike

Comment

I plan on building the vent area and arch from the fire brick and then use a row of insulating brick prior to the clay flue liner.
                                Right now I am starting at about a 22" wide x 8" ( inside dimensions)deep gathering area for the vent. I am going to take this up above the inner arch a few brick before the thermal break using the insulating brick. At this point I hope to have the opening 8" x 8" to match the flue pipe.
                                I am wondering if I should go higher with the larger area prior to closing it in to 8"x8"?
                                Gino

Comment

Working...
                                X