My Build 42" oven GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More progress

I finished the outter arch of the vent area in about an hour today.
    I hope to have the vent and flue liner done within a week. Keep running out of daylight.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Gino

Comment

Re: My Build 42" oven GT

I didnt want to lose more heat from the oven by adding more heat to the clay flue as well as the rest of the chimney. The flue liner and outter finish stone will meet at the top of the chimney.
      I know I would not lose too much here but the thermal break using insulating brick will help stop the transfer of heat above the insulating brick.
      Here is a pick of that area I just finished yesterday.
      I cut a seat into the insulating brick for the 8x12 (6.5 x 10 interior size) clay flue liner. I installed it today but dont have any pics because I wrapped it up in a tarp for now.
      [IMG][/IMG]
      Gino

Comment

More pics of the smoke gathering area transitioning into the chimney.

Also, a night light glowing in the dome. It was getting cold here last night and I wanted to keep the mortar from getting too cold. The light kept the dome at a comfortable 60 degrees over night.

Gino

Comment

This is a top view of the insulating brick thermal break isolating the flue liner from the beginning of the chimney. You can see the seat I cut out of the insulating brick to accept the clay flue liner.

Gino

Comment

I installed the 12 x 8 clay flue pipe on the insulating brick, it fit in the seat nicely with room to add cement all the way around.
            This may be it until spring. The whole thing is wrapped up in a tarp as the wind was getting to be too much for the canopy cover I was using. We got about an inch of snow a few days ago, too much for it to handle so we took it down today.
            Gino

Comment

Change of plan. I cant sit looking at that tarp until spring.
              I am purchasing the metal studs and cement board to build the enclosure.
              This way I can have it "dried in" for the winter without the tarp. The stone exterior can wait until springtime.
              Gino

Comment

Hey gtofani,

I say go for it. Cover that oven and do the finish work next year. That's exactly what I plan to do with my oven. We're so close to the finish line!!

aceves

Comment

With that design you are not going to have any issues with smoke. Great wide open smoke chamber.

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Thanks, that was my goal, I will let you know how it goes when I fire it up.
                    Gino

Comment

Started the wall framing in the garage the other night.
                      I built the left, right and back wall and assembled it in the garage. With the help of two of my children, we carried it over and placed it around the dome.
                      I glued and screwed the walls in place. Then added the front wall.
                      Tomorrow the ceramic fiber blanket gets wrapped on before I start the roof trusses.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                      Gino

Comment

That's a cool pic of the outer arch slightly larger than the inner. I like your vent transition too. Is this your 1st time working with steel studs? Just asking 'cuz it was mine and I found it "interesting" compared to wood.
                        Tarping it for a few months should really help with some drying up before the curing fires. But if you're a bit anxious (I would be) and we have some better winter weather, try to run a small heater/fan for a few evenings to help drive the moisture out of the masonry before you start curing.
                        Congratulations on an oven well done.
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks on the arches, I really like the look of them also. I am going to leave as much of the outter arch showing as possible and just cover it partially with the facing stone on the outside.
                          I have never used the metal studs before, it was really floppy until I screwed on the reinforcing diagonal pieces on all the walls.
                          I hope to get the insulation on today as well as the roof framing.
                          This sight has been so valuable that I could not have done without it.
                          Gino

Comment

Got the roof framed today as well as the 3 layers of the ceramic blanket wired on. I have some work to do with the overhangs before covering the roof with cement board then a layer of osb sheeting. I am sticking ice guard over the whole roof for the winter while I gather slate up until spring.
                            With the walls covered with the cement board it should be dried in. I may be cooking pizza by Christmas.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                            Gino

Comment

Great looking work, and a beautiful setting too!

Are you planning on extending the flue liner above the roof line?

Drake
                              My Oven Thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks, I do have another flue liner to install to get it above the roof, I was not sure how long to cut it yet so I left it out.
                                I will probably get the flue in after I get most of the cement board on. I also have to build a metal frame around the flue where it will extend above the roof. A light in the oven over night got the temperature of the walls up to 85 degrees.
                                Gino

Comment

Working...
                                X