My Build 42" oven GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Build 42" oven GT

Finished the overhang framing and the studding around the chimney flue.
    Added the second flue liner to get the chimney abovethe roof.
    Got the sheeting on the roof and added ice guard rather than felt paper. It sticks well and should weather the winter to keep the oven dry.
    I will pick up some drip edge to finish off the roof until I get my slate.
    Tomorrow the walls get cement board and the inside gets filled with vermiculite.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Gino

Comment

how do you get the vermiculite in there ?

Comment

After I close in the walls with the cement board on the bottom, I am going to pour the vermiculite in the front gable end and the back gable before I put the cement board on. I thought about doing the walls first then the roof so I could pour it in from the top but I figured this will work also. The vermiculite will only be as high as the walls anyway. I dont want it to get into the eves because I plan on using vented aluminum soffitting and a gable vent in the back.
        Gino

Comment

Got the cement board on the sides and poured in the vermiculite. It was a little tougher pouring it in from the gable ends that it would have been from above but it worked. I used a garden hoe to push it to where I needed. It took 13 bags to get the dome covered with 4-5 inches. I had one leak around the arch that I plugged with some woodstove door rope. It should be ok now until the spring when I can start my stone work. I hope to fire it up sometime this winter, maybe at Christmas time.
          Last edited by gtofani; 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM.
          Gino

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Can anyone offer photo's of doors. I have seen a few but would like to compare a few more before I make mine. I would like to use stainless steel and sandwich some insulation brick between two pieces.
              Gino

Comment

Hi Gino

I made a door out of 18 gage steel for front and back and sandwiched 1" of FB blanked inside, with 1 1/4" flat steel for the edges, and welded it together. I drilled a hole for a door thermometer and welded the nut on the inside along with the blots for the handles. I cut the door shape with a 4" angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Then I ground the welds smooth cut the handle bolts to size and installed the thermometer.

I have used the door during my curing process and to cook a Thanksgiving turkey and it works great. The inside of oven can be 500 and the outside is a little more than warm to the touch. The door including the thermometer cost less than $75.00. I could have saved about $25 if my door had been 12 inches instead of the 13 inches high. Most home inprovement stores care everything you need.

The pictures are before I cut the bolts and ground the welds, I will up laod a more pics

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. Thats similar to what I had in mind. I located some stainless steel from some old commercial kitchen equipment. If I can't get it welded, I am just going to use ss screws to put it together. I will see after I get the cuts made.
                  Gino

Comment

Started a stainless steel door, it was going great using a plasma cutter to shape it, then I had to weld things together, it was too thin to mig weld well, either not hot enough or burned right through.
                    So I scrapped the ss idea and moved on to wood wrapped in fireproof cloth then wrapped in copper. The copper is not as heavy as the ss but it folds and cuts nicely.
                    I wrapped the inner piece of wood with two layers of a woven fire proof blanket, then wrapped that in the copper.
                    The outer piece was larger and will set against the outside of the arch.
                    It only needed the copper around the edge. I am going to use copper nails to decorate it and add a finishing strip of copper on the edges that show.
                    Also I am adding a few pennies nailed to the bottom so the copper will not get worn through. I will add barn siding of some kind on the outside.
                    Here are some pics so far, more to come.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                    The fireproof woven stuff is old and dirty, it was in the barn and full of dust but the price was right, free.

[IMG][/IMG]
                    This is the inside view. The other side will have some kind of wood on it.
                    Gino

Comment

The door looks really cool, like something off a satellite. Old world WFO meet space race.
                      Will the fire blanket be enough insulation to keep the wood part of the door cool to touch?

Comment

I will let you know how it works out. I have already located somw heavier copper (in the barn) that I will cover the copper I used in case it wears out too quickly.
                        Since I am guessing the fire will be out and coals raked out before putting the door on the oven, it should be ok with the two layers of the woven cloth.
                        Plus the copper should reflect the heat back also.
                        I plan on firing it up soon so it will be ready for cooking pizza by Christmas time.
                        I had it up to 102' in the top of the dome using a shop light, 82' in the bottom. Thats about all the hotter it gets using the light. It should be able to get hotter with the new door on.
                        Gino

Comment

Originally posted by gtofani View Post
                          I will let you know how it works out. I have already located somw heavier copper (in the barn) that I will cover the copper I used in case it wears out too quickly.
                          My only concern here is that copper is such a great conductor of heat and you may be losing a lot of heat and or conduct enough to char or burn your wood core.

I burned up my temporary door that had contact with a stainless inner surface and stainless does not conduct nearly as well as copper.

I have a stainless interior on my new door and was able to use pop rivets to hold it together and so far it is nice and solid.

Just my two cents...

Chip
                          Last edited by mrchipster; 12-11-2011, 09:35 AM.
                          Chip

Comment

I am hoping that does not happen, the wood is not touching the copper that faces the oven interior. The inner piece of wood has two layers of fireproof woven cloth wrapped around it.
                            If it burns up, I will make another one out of something else.
                            My stainless attempt is working now as a temporary door. I may just finish it the best I can and use it when the oven is at the higher temperatures.
                            Gino

Comment

After placing a halogen shop light in the oven for the last 4 days the moisture is being removed slowly.
                              I placed a styrofoam door over the arch with a few holes down low and a few up high and I can feel the moist warm air coming out of the top holes.
                              The first day the temperatures got up to about 70 at the floor and 100 at the ceiling of the dome.
                              Each day the temperatures increased, on day 4 without turning the light off, the floor is at 150' and the ceiling is at 172'.
                              As it dries the temperature difference between the floor and ceiling decrease.
                              I had a lot of moisture in the 2" ceramic board under my floor by the time I was done building the dome. I am hoping the temperature increasing on the floor means that I am moving the moisture out.
                              If I reach 200' with the light at the ceiling of the dome, I will shut it down and let it cool. I would think I am ready for some fire.
                              Gino

Comment

Finally got the time to put together the gas element made of 1/2" copper.
                                I have the temperature up to the 170's and will leave it there until the floor heats up more to even out the temperatures before increasing the heat up to the 200' recommended for the first firing. I already had it up to 190' with the light before the light overheated and melted some wiring.
                                [IMG][/IMG]
                                [IMG][/IMG]
                                Gino

Comment

Working...
                                X