Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distances from combustibles

Hi everybody
    wonderful group you have here. I hope to join the ranks of you builders soon!

I'm in the research/design phase presently and have a few questions if I may (not sure if this is the best section to ask but here goes...)

I have an existing slab/foundation from a pump house I tore down. I would like to use the existing slab as partial footing for an exterior facing corner oven. The future oven will be a part of a new wood framed building (not attached to the house) already under construction. I am nearing a descision point as to framing material near where I will eventually site (hopefully this summer) the WFO. Generally speaking, what is a safe distance for combustible materials such as wood framing near the oven opening? My new building is octagonal with 8 foot wall widths, 8 feet tall, and 2 foot roof overhangs . The oven design I am considering would have the oven opening very close to one of the exterior coners of the octagon. In anticipation for the oven, I built one of the walls of concrete block but the other is to be framed in part with wood. I am considering a wood beam over the oven to carry the rafters and filling in the opeing with metal studs. When ready to build the wfo, I would remove some of the metal studs and fill in with masonry. Not sure any of that is at all clear and I'm sorry I don't have a plan drawing to help communicate. Basically, a block wall on one side and metal studs under a beam on the other. The question is - how far to the (left) side of the oven should I run the metal studs before transioning back to wood? Is the wood beam and wood framed roof overhang also a potential danger and something I need to consider? Speaking of that beam...because the site is sloped and the foundation raised, the the distance from the top of the oven door to the bottom of the beam is estimated to be a little over 5 feet

I know that codes will differ by region, I'm just wondering if there are some common sense guidelines (erring on the side of overkill) that can be followed so that when I get going on the oven I don't end up having to change a lot of structure on the building. It would be a nice location but if fire danger makes this too complicated. I'll just have to plan for a stand alone oven site

thanks so much for reading all of that and thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

John

Re: distances from combustibles

My code required ten feet from the siding of my house
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I need some guidance here as well. See the attached pic of the oven base and kitchen area. I have a covered area and a gas line in proximity (yellow line in pic) The forum threads show low heat (less than 175 deg) on well insulated ovens. My plan is to use the double wall pipe for the transition through the wood roof so i think i am ok there. My concern is the oven opening proximity to the gas line and wood roof. The gas line path is through the ceiling (about three feet in front of what will be oven opening) and then down the pole visible in the picture on left. Thoughts on the ceiling and gas line and overall placement please ?
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

ebonye

see the attached for the FB casa oven installation guidelines. The full pdf is available on the fb site for the casa oven. According to this, the tolerances are manageable in well insulated and vented ovens. Hope this helps.

texman
        Texman Kitchen

Comment

here is attachement, sorry. guess that is why i am a Serf.
          Texman Kitchen

Comment

texman
            thank you so much for the attachment. My heart sunk a bit after reading some code requires 10 ft. Sounds like my my plan may yet have some potential. I just picked up the beam ...

Les
            just looked through your album and am very impressed with the carefully cut bricks in your dome. Wow! A fine example of craftsmanship to emulate.

texman
            Holy cow that's a nice outdoor kitchen.
            My plan is to use the double wall pipe for the transition through the wood roof so i think i am ok there. My concern is the oven opening proximity to the gas line and wood roof. The gas line path is through the ceiling (about three feet in front of what will be oven opening) and then down the pole visible in the picture on left.
            is your pipe flex or black iron? I can't quite tell from the picture. Sorry I can't answer your question about the gas line but your thought about the double wall flue is my understanding too. Two inches from combustibles was all that was required on the installation of our wood stove.

thanks for the replies.....now I'm off to hang a beam.

Comment

Originally posted by ebonye View Post
              Les
              just looked through your album and am very impressed with the carefully cut bricks in your dome. Wow! A fine example of craftsmanship to emulate.
              Or not... Takes a lot of time. Thanks for the complement though and good luck with your build. It is an adventure.
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
              X