40" WFO in the New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

Thank you so much for your prayers and concerns.

Got in the house about 2 hours ago and my home & WFO is okay. Thank God for that. There were some trees fell down in the street but there was no major damage. The corp of engineer did a job with the flood wall protection for Orleans Parish.

However, please continue to pray who those lost their homes and loves ones from Hurricanes Isaac. It may have been a weak hurricane, however, it brought in a lot of water and stress to this region.

Once again, thank you all for the prayers.
    Last edited by banhxeo76; 08-31-2012, 02:21 PM.
    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

About a year ago, I brought some second hand S mission clay tiles from Habital for Humanity Restore in New Orleans for $ .50 a piece and have no clue how to install them. Eventhough I save a lot of money on these used clay tiles but I spent a bundle on copper sheet, lead sheet, and many other stuff just so that I can have a clay tile roof on the WFO.

I made a sheet metal brake out of 3 pieces of 2x6 to bend some copper sheet for flashing around the chimney area. On the smaller piece, it was easy to bend but it was difficult on a larger piece such as drip edge flashing. I found it save a lot of time and headace if I use a plain sheet of paper and fold it into a shape that I was aiming for. This will give you an idea how to bend copper metal sheet for the flashing first because you only want to do it one time on a real copper sheet since copper is expensive.
      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Well, the roof is about 99% done and I am happy the way it came out. However, the flashing around the chimney could have look better but it will keep the water out, I hope!
        Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Tu,

Restrore is one of my major stops each week. I picked up the chimney vent pipe and cap for my build there at an unbelievable $10. Those tiles are not going anywhere and hopefully you won't have any more Issacs to find out. Looks good, gotta give you a 'A' for trying to do copper flashing.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            Tu,

Those tiles are not going anywhere and hopefully you won't have any more Issacs to find out. Looks good, gotta give you a 'A' for trying to do copper flashing.
            Thanks for the kind words. Lucky, my property is nested between two story houses which will block any wind coming from the east and west. My house will protect Dat WFO from the south. But, you never know with mothernature because she can get very creative if she want to do some damage. I wish there were more teachers like you when I was in high school because I would have been a straight 'A' student!
            Last edited by banhxeo76; 09-28-2012, 06:15 AM.
            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Since Hurricane Issac, it has stop raining in this region which allow me to work on Dat WFO. I picked up the remaining limestones from the distributor last weekend and got to work. The west side is almost done and I am currently on the back side. Hopefully, I will be able to pipe in the white mortar between the limestone by this weekend if it doesn't rain.
              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Thank goodness for nice weather and an understanding wife, I was able to mortared up all of the stones and piped in the white mortar into all of the joints. I am really please with the result. I had some left over natural stones so I decided to use them as a border in the garden around the WFO.

The only thing that I have left to do is to make two concrete caps for the two side posts and also the cap for the chimney. At the moment, I have a temporary chimney which is doing a good job so far. My temporary chimney is consisted of high heat ceramic board with hardie backer board on the top. I placed them on top of mortarless bricks.

I am still looking for two wall lanterns to hang on the front side of the posts. I found a lantern that I really love but it cost about $380 each. There is no way my boss/wife is going to allow me to make buy these lanterns after all of the money I spent so far on the WFO. It is a handmade copper lantern that you would see all over the French Quarter in New Orleans and they are made right here in the Crescent City.

I am also planning to make a wooden door in the front of the wood strorage section. Okay, I am not close of being done yet but those will have to wait for a while because it is WFO cooking season! WFO Peking Duck this Saturday.
                Last edited by banhxeo76; 10-17-2012, 08:08 AM.
                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Is it OK if I say WOW!!!!!

Patience is the key to lighting I like my drop lights and found them at a thrift store. They were brand new in the box and less than $20 for the pair. still available from the manufacturer $219 each. I would put up something inexpensive that you can be happy with and then change them out when you find the right deal.

Chip
                  Last edited by mrchipster; 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM.
                  Chip

Comment

One of my favorite bread to eat and make is a baguette. Every time I have loaded some dough (especially baguette dough) into dat WFO, my purchased wooden pizza peeler can only do so much because it is not long enough. Since my father-in-law has a garage that is full of awesome tools and machinery for wood working, I decided to make my own bread peeler.

I glued 3 pieces of poplar and 2 pieces of red oak together with some biscuit joints. The middle poplar is a lot longer than the rest so that it will extend out as a handle. It took me forever to file and sand the peeler to desire shape because poplar and red oak are considered to be hardwood. I will applied some food safe oil to seal the peeler later. Can't wait to use my new weapon!
                    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Hi Who Dat?

since the lantern maker is local, check and see if they have any "seconds", flawed lanterns that are discounted. You may get lucky.

Comment

tu,

nice finishing touches. Umm bread peel, just put one on my "A" list although I have not graduated past pizza yet since my oven in not insulated yet and does not retain the heat too well. Since you are a Restore fan, I would keep visiting and maybe you will score some cool local flavor lamps. May want to talk to the Restore people to keep a look out for you as stuff rolls in. A box of donuts does wonders. I always make it a point to say hello to the cashier lady and call her by her first name. Does wonders on deals at Restore
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post

I am still looking for two wall lanterns to hang on the front side of the posts. I found a lantern that I really love but it cost about $380 each. There is no way my boss/wife is going to allow me to make buy these lanterns after all of the money I spent so far on the WFO. It is a handmade copper lantern that you would see all over the French Quarter in New Orleans and they are made right here in the Crescent City.

So have I Tu,
                          I've downloaded pics and now have resigned my self to hopefully finding something simular and altering them .

Your oven has turned out great!

Vilma may start Sunday, Free Sean Payton, Who Dat!!! .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                            tu,

Since you are a Restore fan, I would keep visiting and maybe you will score some cool local flavor lamps. May want to talk to the Restore people to keep a look out for you as stuff rolls in. A box of donuts does wonders. I always make it a point to say hello to the cashier lady and call her by her first name. Does wonders on deals at Restore
                            You really know how to make friends in "low place" and I love friends from the "low place" because I am one of them. Never thought that donuts are so valuable. My cousin claimed that he usually keep some donuts in the ride just in case he gets pull over.
                            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

As an ex-cop, "Dat boy" will still be doing time!

Comment

I think I am almost done with the design for the pergola that will be part of the Dat WFO project. Hopefully, I will be able to build the pergola and laid down the floor tile next spring.

Any input and suggestion would be appreciate.
                                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Working...
                                X