40" WFO in the New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

Thats really nice, will you use the massive beams like Cheesesteak?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
      Thats really nice, will you use the massive beams like Cheesesteak?
      I would love to use a "massive beam" similar to cheesesteak but I can't afford that! Cheesesteak budget is on another level compare to mine.
      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Tu,

You guys are too good with Sketch-up or what ever graphics program you used. My computer is a steno pad and a pencil. Looks like a fine pergola..............
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Great Sketch-Up plans.

When I look at the shape of your finished oven, and the stone that you you chose, I am reminded of a "medievial castle". I was just thinking that a couple of banners flown form each of those out side piers wouls set it off perfectly.
          I think that this banner would work .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Just wanted to drop in and say hell to my fellow New Orleans folks! Happy cooking!

Comment

nice build!
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

I finally built a door for the wood storage section of WFO. Instead of just building a door, I also built a rack with wheels to attach to the door. On a rack, I placed a Japanese grill which is also made out of firebrick with no mortar/adhesive. Both side of the grill, I attached some vents onto firebrick to gauge the air flow in order to control the heat. The idea of using a Tuscan grill inside WFO sound pretty cool but it is hard to monitor and cook the food that is being cooked on the opposite end. I placed some insulated firebricks between the wood and regular firebrick to protect the wood. I know that it may still catch fire from the top but I like to live on the edge.
                Last edited by banhxeo76; 08-29-2014, 11:19 AM.
                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Very cool addition to the oven . And, that is some great looking "tucker" (Ya'll, I am slowly becoming multi-lingual, thanks to this site)

Tu, It is really good, to see you back on the forum. I am looking forward to some more of your recipes, in the oven, and on the grill.

Geaux Saints
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I love it! Nice work as per usual. I reckon some alfoil just laid around the sides over the wood while cooking will prevent any burns and also make it easier to clean up afterwards.
                    JT
                    Willetton, Perth
                    Western Australia
                    My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
                      I finally built a door for the wood storage section of WFO. Instead of just building a door, I also built a rack with wheels to attach to the door. On a rack, I placed a Japanese grill which is also made out of firebrick with no mortar/adhesive. Both side of the grill, I attached some vents onto firebrick to gauge the air flow in order to control the heat. The idea of using a Tuscan grill inside WFO sound pretty cool but it is hard to monitor and cook the food that is being cooked on the opposite end. I placed some insulated firebricks between the wood and regular firebrick to protect the wood. I know that it may still catch fire from the top but I like to live on the edge.
                      G'day
                      Have you tried a Tuscan grill? They are a great piece of "kit". Mines just a basic BBQ grill with 4 bolts for legs. Burn a fire , not a pizza grade one either for an hour. It's not about clearing the oven its about building a good coal bed. Arrange your coals at just inside the door 20 mins and the grills hot. Steaks cooks fast and tender because of the heat cast back from you dome. As for tools and reaching in, yes I have a long set of tongs and a BBQ spatular but you lose more arm hairs cooking pizza. Best thing its like using a hooded BBQ without having to lift the hood to see how things are cooking. Family favorites are boned whole chicken and boned leg of lamb, and my only stuff up to date was to fit the grill in the oven with the bars running parallel with the entrance , everything stuck and the resulting chicken didn't look that whole . But you could certainly eat it that's a good result.
                      Promise you its worth the experiment
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Tu,

Glad to see you back, missed your expertise and cooking skills. Welcome back to the fold.
                        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-30-2014, 02:27 PM.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                          Great Sketch-Up plans.

When I look at the shape of your finished oven, and the stone that you you chose, I am reminded of a "medievial castle". I was just thinking that a couple of banners flown form each of those out side piers wouls set it off perfectly.
                          I think that this banner would work .
                          Or how about this
                          File:Flag of Edward England.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                            Well David,
                            The "Jolly Roger" would certainly fit. New Orleans has a rich history of pirates, I mean privateers .

Comment

Originally posted by jab49 View Post
                              I love it! Nice work as per usual. I reckon some alfoil just laid around the sides over the wood while cooking will prevent any burns and also make it easier to clean up afterwards.
                              I didn't think of using the alfoil around the sides. Thanks for the suggestion!
                              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                                G'day
                                Have you tried a Tuscan grill?
                                Promise you its worth the experiment
                                Regards dave
                                The main reason why I create the grill is because of the excess amount of WFO charcoal that I throw away in the last two years. Every time I heat up the oven for a big bake, I usually don?t let the wood to be completely burn to ash. When the oven is heated enough, I just stop the oxygen flow with the door to stop the fire. Then I removed the black charcoal from WFO into can to throw away later. It just hit me one day that why can?t I used this charcoal to grill some meat while waiting for my WFO temp to drop down for bread. As of late, I have great interest in Japanese style grilling such as yakitori which required a lot of constant basting over the grill. Japanese traditional used binchotan charcoal for their grill but binchotan is very expensive. This allows me to burn all the stuff down to ash which will be use later as fertilizer.
                                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Working...
                                X